Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Scary looking bug in my worm bin

15 years ago

I found this weird looking centipede thing in my worm bin. It was about 3/4 of an inch long and had these pincers. I'm wondering if this thing is eating my worms

Comments (4)

• 15 years ago

no it's not eating the worms, just some of their feed .... there are dozens of small critters that are part of the decomposer community, not much to worry about

Bill

• 15 years ago

Alright, I hope so. I heard horror stories of certain predatory bugs that love earthworm flesh, and I was kind worried since I couldn't find many worms digging through the bin

• 15 years ago

I seem to remember reading in Mary Appelhof's book that millipedes are helpful in the worm bin and centipedes are not. You might want to check her book out. (Worms Eat My Garbage)

The following is cut and pasted from something at wormdigest.org, and seems to be consistent with what I remember reading. "Millipedes are long and segmented, with two pairs of legs per body segment and two antennae with which they sense their environment. Colors range from black to red, but those species found in the worm bin are commonly brown or reddish-brown. The millipede has an armored shell for protection and coils into a ball, like a pill bug, when threatened.

"Centipedes resemble millipedes, but their bodies are more flattened and less rounded at either end. They possess one set of legs on most of their body segments and a large pair of pincers which originate behind the head. The centipede is generally more reddish than the millipede, is very fast moving and is generally found only on the surface of the worm bin.

"It's unusual to have many centipedes in a worm bin and one or two are no problem. However, because these arthropods will eat worms as well as other organisms it's a good idea to keep their numbers low. The only way to control centipedes is to remove them by hand which should be done carefully. While not poisonous to humans, they can give a nasty bite with their impressive pincers!"

Hope this helps.
    mbetts

• 15 years ago

"They possess one set of legs on most of their body segments and a large pair of pincers which originate behind the head....

"It's unusual to have many centipedes in a worm bin and one or two are no problem. However, because these arthropods will eat worms as well as other organisms it's a good idea to keep their numbers low...

Uh oh...

I only found one, but I better check to make sure