Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffj_gw

Fisher & Paykel oven door won't open

15 years ago

I ran a self-clean cycle on our 4-year-old F&P OS302 oven last weekend. It's always worked flawlessly in the past. Well, this time all was well until the end of the cycle. At that point, it started beeping at me and flashed error code F7. The bottom line is that the door won't open. The door lock solenoid has clearly malfunctioned in some way.

So how do I get the door open? I tried turning off power at the breaker, but that didn't do anything. I called a repair guy (the local authorized service outfit), and he couldn't figure it out either. And since you can't remove the oven from the wall to get at the inside of the control unit with the door closed, I'm not sure what to do.

Any thoughts? The repair guy is supposed to get back to me, but I'm not getting a very confident vibe from them. I'm going on two weeks with no oven, and am coming to realize just how often I really did use it...

Thanks,

Jeff J

Comments (6)

• 15 years ago

What did they say when you called F-P at 1.888.936.7872? This sounds like the old blown thermal fuse syndrome.

• 15 years ago

F&P told me to call the repair guy. They wouldn't tell me anything else over the phone, which was a bit annoying.

Jeff J

• 15 years ago

That is very disappointing news. I was considering an F&P kitchen for my reno plans. I knew their products weren't as robust as others but thought their past reputation for excellent customer service would balance that out. I must now reconsider.

There was an extensive discussion on the web quite some time ago regarding F&P field modifications for self cleaning thermal fuse failures similar to the ongoing Kitchenaid oven problems. I can't find it now of course. It involved F&P repositioning and heatsinking certain thermal fuses to give them better air flow cooling.

Was your oven installed correctly? If a door lock failure strands your oven in its cabinet I think you have a major gripe with somebody.

• 15 years ago

I guess to be fair, I have to admit that this is my second F&P oven. The first one (an OS301) didn't hold temperature consistently and was replaced under warranty shortly after purchase, which is when I got this 302.

I assume the oven was installed correctly, as I believe it was this same service company that did it. The tech tried to call the F&P tech line, but couldn't get through, and so he left without trying much else.

I'm assuming that they'll be able to get through and then come fix the oven, but it's all very open ended with this repair company. Keep in mind that I'm in a part of the country where most people have never heard of F&P, so I'm not surprised that service is a bit of a challenge.

The F&P lady I talked to at their customer service was very friendly and polite. It's just that her help boiled down to call a tech. I assume that I was told this because solving the problem will require parts (i.e. failed thermal fuse like you said), and there wouldn't be anything for me to do on my own.

I'm not ready to write off F&P because of this incident, so I hope you won't either. When it works (which is all the time except for this), it's a great oven.

Jeff J

• 15 years ago

Sorry you're having problems with your F&P.

I've had problems with mine as well, and F&P is replacing it next week. I have a suspicion that part, if not all, of the problem with mine is due to installation. However, the F&P "certified" repair person pulled it out several times and never mentioned it.

Check to see that the wiring for the oven enters the cabinet as specified. Apparently if anything (such as electrical conduit) is pressing into the back of the oven it will malfunction.

My problem was very different from yours, but if they end up pulling your oven, check out the wiring. If your installer was anything like ours, he couldn't have been bothered to open the installation manual.

Sure IS a great oven when working. Keep us posted!

• 15 years ago

An interesting side note about F&P. I ran into a couple of Kiwi's last week and had a conversation about many things, including F&P. It turns out that in New Zealand they have announced that they are moving some appliance production to the USA. Maybe having some products made in the USA will result in better service availability.