FIND PROFESSIONALS
larsi_gw

DON'T use vinegar in your washing machine

larsi_gw

Today we had a service call from our favourite Miele Senior technician. He said to NEVER use vinegar in the washing machine or the dishwasher Yes, it shines the stainless, but he said it totally eats and rots the rubber hoses and seals. He went on to say that they can always tell the machines that are used with vinegar. He says hoses and rubber seals and parts many times just crumble in his hands, when service is performed!

He said yes it is chemical free, but it is NOT good for the machines. Liquid fabric softener is 100% safe, when used as directed & with normal use...it does NOT build up or gunk the machine (especially if a regular clean machine cycle is done).

• Marge Plevak Gajkowski

Can I Use White Distilled Vinegar in HE Washers during the Rinse Cycle?

If you dislike commercial fabric softeners, white distilled vinegar can be used instead to help soften the clothes.

The white distilled vinegar should be placed in the fabric softener dispenser so it will be added during the rinse cycle. Fill the fabric softener cup to the top level with the white vinegar. The vinegar helps remove any detergent and soil that is clinging to fabric clothes feeling soft and clean. There will be no vinegar odor clinging to the fabric.

An added benefit of using white distilled vinegar is that your washer will be left much fresher and cleaner than if you use a commercial fabric softener. Fabric softener residue traps bacteria and encourages the growth of mold and mildew and causes odor in front load washers.

• Marge Plevak Gajkowski

So, if you're told that your "hoses" will be destroyed I believe you're being hosed!

Laundry room in basement or dryer and Washing machine on ground floor

I would say consider: Your age, the number of occupants in the home (more people, more laundry). How neat you are ( usually the area outside folding door closet laundry is in hallway or kitchen etc and excessive laundry is on floor etc). Condition of the basement stairs, (narrow, open back with flimsy handrail?) I have a small but verry efficient laundry room on main level of a 2 story plus basement home and I love it. I can close the door if need be. I have a shelving unit in one corner for storing odd items and part of it has a hanging bar so i can hang shirts etc. as they come out of dryer. Even as I age, I still like the first floor location, as that is where I spend most of my time, so it eiliminates trips to switch loads from washer to dryer.

Don't be afraid of white wash!

That looks fantastic! Very nice work. I kind'a like the idea of a natural wood mantle that goes about 2/3 across. A mantle that spans the width of the wall may chop the wall in half and make the ceiling appear shorter than it is. The remaining space could be used for casual seating. Those raised hearths are great for that.

Washing machine hook up box above counter top???

European washing machines (such as Miele) have anti siphon systems and do not require a minimum drain height. In fact the installation instructions for the Miele even say you can drain the machine into a floor drain. For the past 25 years we have had a Miele washer and dryer installed under a counter with the drain and supply lines in the wall under the counter. Yes, they are inaccessible and that is a concern but so far (knock on wood!) we have had no problem.

Washing machine overload

I would recommend avoiding HE's let someone else be the guinea pig while the kinks get worked out on this new technology. Top loaders have changed so much in the past 5 years and not for the better. Today washing machines are only built to last 5 to 7 years. If you absolutely want a top loader try a Speed Queen with analog dials it has a 3 year warranty. For a top loader I would go for a Miele Little Giant they are built to last 15 years doing 40 hours of laundry a week. It requires a 240Volt connection and floor type drain since it operates on a gravity system so you will have to factor in the cost of a new electrical line and plumber. The price is high $3899.00, but if you divide that by 15 years the cost is $259.00 a year but since few of us do 40 hours of laundry it most likely will last a lot longer. If you do 20 hours of laundry for 30 years the cost would be $129 a year. The wonderful thing is you can dial in the exact temperature of the water you want. Kid picked up head lice from summer camp no problem wash all their bedding, hats and clothing at 160F or higher, problem solved. Got someone who works in health care and wonder what they are carrying home on their scrubs? no problem, you can wash their uniforms at 200F.
  • mamapinky0

Vinegar.

Does not soften clothing the same as fabric softener. It also does not remove detergent residue. If enough is used it may neutralise residue. Once residue expecially carbonates is neutralized the clothes may have a smoother feel. Vinegar being so weak though I'm doubtful the small amount held in the fabric softener dispenser is going to do anything. If it makes you feel better than of course use it. Its harmless enough expecially at such a low dose.

• georgect

Ahhhh...Larsi would be so happy this thread is still alive and kicking.

LOL

• Leslie Escobar

Are washing machines still being made with rubber parts? I checked my drain hose and it's plastic. I don't think vinegar will harm newer machines that don't use rubber parts, anyone know if there are rubber parts on the inside??

• dadoes

Yes. Plastic largely isn't soft and flexible enough to serve for bearing and shaft seals, some internal hoses and tubes, etc.

• Lisa Seatle

I’ve beeb using vinegar as a fabric softener in my HE machine for 10 yrs. zero problems. My laundry comes out great and the rubber gasket never gets mouldy.

• Rose Luu

My bath towels (less than 1yr) smelled moldy despite being washed with detergent and hot water several times. I almost gave up! Before throwing them out I washed them once more using only vinegar and hot water. The smell went away! It was incredibl! I kept sniffing the towels thinking maybe something was wrong with my nose. Nope, they smelled fresh as new. Now I’m worried that maybe vinegar could ruin my machine...

• georgect

It won't ruin it HU.

• claire853

Hi, I have been using White distilled MALT vinegar for months (cannot find just the white distilled anywhere) and have had no problems at all. I used to use fabric softener but hated the smell, even though I tried different ‘perfumed‘ ones. The only smell now is just clean! Good luck.

• jujufull

When our second child was born, his skin was so sensitive that cloth diapers irritated his skin no matter how quickly I changed him. A nurse at the doctor's office (who had six children) told me to use white vinegar in the final rinse to clear out all soap/detergent, and then to dry them in the sunshine (on a clothesline). When I began doing this, he had no more diaper rashes. It was truly amazing and I was so thankful for it.

• Matthew Cathell

We have a new Samsung washer. On the Samsung website, in a few places, it actually recommends using vinegar (both in place of fabric softener, and when you're running a cleaning cycle without clothes in the machine).

On the page Clean your Samsung Washer, in the section titled "Prevent washer mold, mildew, and odors," they state: "Avoid fabric softener: Liquid fabric softeners often leave residue behind that contribute to mold growth. To keep clothes smelling fresh, try using distilled white vinegar instead of fabric softener. And switch to using dryer sheets and dryer balls to soften your clothes."

On the page Samsung Washer - Prevent and Eliminate Odors, in the section titled "Eliminating Odors," they recommend the following for a cleaning cycle: "Add 1/2 cup of bleach or distilled white vinegar to the tub and run a Sanitize or any Hot cycle. Do not add clothes."

The devil is probably in the details here. Filling the washing machine up with vinegar would undoubtedly be a different situation that having a small amount (say, the capacity of the fabric softener dispenser) added to a load of water. I just don't believe the latter will cause the kinds of problems described here, particularly if the washing machine is being used regularly (so that any residual acid isn't just sitting around in the machine indefinitely). Also the low pH of the vinegar should be mitigated by the high pH of the detergent, bringing it closer to a neutral equilibrium by the time it all gets agitated together in there.

• Donna Trahan
    last year

Thanks to everyone's comments regarding using vinegar in the washers. Liquid fabric softeners and softener sheets cause skin irritations for some people and are the culprit to major sinus problems and migraines, plus cause havoc with your internal organs that most people have not read about. For several years (+/-8) I've used 1/2 c white distilled vinegar and 1/2 c baking soda in the final rinse cycle to stop static in my work clothes or anything with polyester. Works great on static! I wash with 1/3 cup SafeCoice Super Clean, which is a household cleaner https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Cleaners-Household/AFM-SafeChoice-Super-Clean (I purchase 4 gal at a time to save on shipping)

I just had to replace my 12+ yr old top load washer, new GE top load washer is HE, and I can select my water levels plus add Extra Rinse or Deep Fill. I was wondering if anyone pauses the HE machines once the rinse cycle starts and then add the vinegar in the final rinse?

• monicakm_gw
    last year

Donna, which GE did you buy? My goal, when shopping for a new washer was to find one that let me put in as much water as I wanted. Well, the advertising mat on top of the washer said "use as much water as you want". Not entirely true. As much water as you want as long as it's not more than they'll allow :o

I bought the 4.5 cu ft HE # GTW685BSLWS w/ agitator. It's a good washer but due to the water restrictions, I can't wash as much as I want in one load. No way a king size quilt is going in there. I've had it since mid Oct and Lowes is letting me switch to the GE HE 5 cu ft # GTW845CSNWS. It will have water restrictions too but at least it will be a larger capacity. I like my clothes to move freely in the water.

I already have it's matching dryer and love it! The washer has a water/soap station (I don't have a sink in my laundry room) and much more! I DO use vinegar in some of my washes. I don't think I've used it yet in the new (soon to be replaced) washer. I use it in the wash cycle to help with stinky sweaty work clothes. Mostly not a problem in the cooler months. I don't use fabric softeners of any kind. Towels aren't as absorbent with fs. I don't put our good clothes in the dryer. They are line dried and I prefer them to have more shape than be limp(ish) due to fs.

So, no, I don't pause the rinse cycle to add vinegar but if I used vinegar in the rinse cycle, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

last year

Oh no! Thanks for the heads up. I was always of the naive assumption that vinegar, being a "natural" product was basically harmless. My mistake corrected! Luckily I hadn't quite got around to actually trying it in the washing machine or even on teh windows but I will be careful where I douse my home cleaning products now. Thanks! Ellie ULS

• elbits
    last year

OMG, my husband and I cleaned the agitator to our Speed Queen tonight and gunk we pulled out was amazingly disgusting! It looked like a dead rat and I never use the fabric softener doodad at the top. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+clean+a+speed+queed+agitator&docid=608026326103820660&mid=29284816AEF2C47DB59D29284816AEF2C47DB59D&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

• elbits
    last year

• Penelope Megquier
    last year

I’ve used vinegar for many years with no problems. I learned that it keeps the drain hoses, etc, clean.

• SEA SEA
    last year

Yikes elbits! You must be so glad you got that removed! I guess you had to scrub and bleach inside the agitator column. Gag.

I've tried numerous times to get the fabric softener doo-dad off my SQ to clean under it and that thing is not coming off without breaking the machine in the process. I've watched a few youtube vids on how to, but none of that works for my softener cup (which I never use either). I'm afraid I'd have a yuck too since I've had the machine for over 3.5 years now.

• dadoes
    last year

elbits ... LOL, common knowledge says that toploaders aren't subject to collecting smutz, that's only in the realm of those infernal frontloaders.

.... it is, of course, completely wrong "knowledge." :-)

That looks like a wad of lint with maybe some hair and other debris. Vinegar won't do anything to prevent it.

• SEA SEA
    last year

Yes dadoes, you are right. TL can get scuzzy too, not just FL.

After much effort I was able to get the fabric softener cup off (hope I didn't break the machine) of my SQ. The inside of our agitator pole was not too bad. It looks like dark dust. No build up of hair or lint chucks. I was surprised since we have a long hair cat who sheds year round and the SQ by nature makes lots of lint. I wiped it out and good as new. I have a voice mail into SQ to try and obtain a cap to replace the FS cup since I don't use FS and this cup thing collects debris. I'd rather not have it.

Would you know if it's alright to run wash cycles without the cup in place? I'm thinking it would be fine since it has little drain holes in the agitator pole.

• dadoes
    last year

Replacing the softener cup with a cap is the same thing as running the machine without the cup ... so no concern. I've read advisories on other agitator brands to never run the machine without the cup in place to avoid small items falling into the agitator, which makes me LOL. Sure, a sock could fall in there during loading (which of course the user *should* notice immediately) but items surely aren't going to leap out of the water into the agitator while a cycle runs.

• monicakm_gw
    last year

On one of my washers YEARS ago, I covered the FS cup with a few strips of strapping tape. Made it look nice, it wasn't just slapped on there haphazardly. The moisture and heat never caused the tape to peel off and it kept the cup clean.

• SEA SEA
    last year

Ok, good to know Dadoes. Thank you for the reply.

I called SQ again today since they didn't return my call yesterday or today. In regards to a cap, they said I'd have to go through my distributor. And that the caps are not made to fit residential models--only commercial models. They claim to not know if the cap would fit my awn432. ??

Moving on, since I haven't called the nearest SQ distributor yet...I see online there are two parts retailers that have the cap for under $5. I may do that instead One retailer is pwslaundry and the other is appliance parts pros. Do you know if they are reputable suppliers?

btw, I'm running a load right now sans FS cup because you said it's ok, and it seems fine. I mean, it wouldn't really offend me if there was no cap in my life. Could even possibly be a good thing in that air can now get in there easily to dry it out--remove a place mold can grow. It does looks strange to the eye though, if you know what I mean. I can see how a sock can get dumped in there by accident, but one can fix that easy enough.

Good thinking Monica. I'm trying to take it a step further and find a stretchable silicone lid. I see them on amazon, but only in multiples. Your idea made think I can probably just use saran wrap with a rubber band lol. Same difference, just not as tidy looking.

• dadoes
    last year

I ordered from PWSLaundry twice in 2018, they had the best price on the items I needed at the time. Four orders from AppliancePartsPros in 2011, two in 2013. They're still in business so that's a point of favor.

SQ doesn't directly deal with consumers via distributors or corporate
    (except for extreme complaints, which are referred to the dealer anyway).

The machine will run perfectly fine without an softener dispenser or cap. Aesthetic concern is your choice. <$5 (+ shipping) may be a reasonable risk for whether it fits (probably it will) ... you can also check for offerings on eBay.

• Penelope Megquier
    last year

That’s odd. I have been using vinegar in my washer for at least five years and it’s fine. My other washer was twenty years old. Used vinegar in every load. No problem!!

• elbits
    last year

Yes, that was an accumulation of lint and chihuahua hair. I wash plenty small blankets and towels every few days. My Speed Queen was purchased in December 2011, so this was 8 years worth.

• SEA SEA
    last year

Well, I'm glad you got that cleaned out elbits. Maybe run a clean cycle with d/w detergent or citric acid for good measure.

• anoop
    last year
    last modified: last year

What about a laundry rinse with these ingredients? Is this chemically similar to vinegar since some folks have recommended using vinegar as a laundry rinse.

Product declaration

Citric acid 15–30%

Vegetable alcohol (ethanol) 5–15%

Water, swirled up to 100%

List of ingredients as per EC 648/2004

Aqua, citric acid, alcohol

• beaglenc
    last year

Anoop, what product is that?

Executive Touch Services
    last year

FYI
    vinegar hurts nothing. it also relaxes fabric fibers so well that 1 part to 3 parts h2o will act as wrinkle release. use in spray bottle then smooth , shape . smell dissipates in short amount of time. Also using to clean washer is safe. bleach would harm more than vinegar ever could/would. it's a neutralizer.does get rid of odors to. safer to use w septic as well. safe and smart to even sanitize/ rinse cutting boards,produce off. To one who said she couldn't find it,it's by the pickles,spices or baking aisle.
    .

• monicakm_gw
    last year

dadoes, I've searched this thread and don't see where you specifically answered the question about vinegar being bad (or not) for washers. What say you? :)

Executive Touch Services
    last year

not bad at all. I once had a print out 3 pages long of all the uses for white vinegar. there is a cleaning vinegar, I wouldn't suggest that. just regular good ol distilled white vinegar.
    Google used for white vinegar, you'll be surprised at how many there are. 😊

• dadoes
    last year

Vinegar dosage of the level that fits into a softener dispenser is unlikely to cause harm considering the dilution level when combined with the volume of rinse water.

I would avoid using it in the rinse aid dispenser of a dishwasher. It is acidic and could have a long-term effect on deteriorating the dispenser (seals). It's not diluted while sitting in the dispenser.

• monicakm_gw
    last year

Thanks. I can't remember how much I used. It's been a few years. I don't think I put it in a dispenser tho. I think I just poured it in the rinse water. Maybe a cup or a little more. I only used it for my husbands sweaty white t-shirts.

Executive Touch Services
    last year

also you can use hydrogen peroxide for whitening . maybe a cup or so

• Cindy Salas
    last year

i own a samsung he pair, i make my own fabric softener. its 2 cups water, 1/4 c hair conditioner, and 1/4 c white vinegar. I fill he softener to the recommended level,use an existing softener bottle.Ive been using for 3 years now, no problems, and my laundry smells like my freshly washed hair!

• JMF S

Vinegar in correct dosages is Fine. Vinegar in excess Will dry out hoses. I used to overdo it in my washer fluid reservoir in my car and the vinegar eventually thinned and dried the hose.

Salt and vinegar chips are off the menu as well, and I lament that fact. The vinegar caused a filling to disintegrate and eventually fall out. It's fine for non-porous fillings, but this one was composite. You can see the pock marks from where the vinegar had been wearing it down. The issue is that the chips stick to the teeth so it makes a kind of vinegar paste which will get washed out with saliva over time, but not before making a wee bit of progress. All that progress added up and Flop! Out came that filling. Color me flabbergasted! Mind y'all, I was eating an inflated number of these chips during allergy season because the vinegar Also thinned the mucous that was causing sore throats and congestion (yuck). The chips seemed a good way to handle the issue And they're delicious. I did a search to see if it was something that has been heard of and sure enough . . . dentists actually warn about vinegar chips! Who knew?! My enamel suffered as well so I have sworn off this now forbidden treat. :( I don't brush after eating because a) who has time and b) your enamel is softened by the excessive saliva so I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting until it had rehardened. Not so much.

I think, though, that our washing machine pipes have enough clean water running through them after the main wash that the vinegar is being purged. In the case of my car the vinegar was sitting in the line 24/7 and it took Years for the line to go bad.

If you're all that concerned about it, run a rinse-only cycle after using vinegar to wash out any excess sitting in the pipe. That and actually Measure the amount of vinegar instead of free pouring it like I know most of us do. ;)

• Virginia Miller

I have been using vinegar as softener for 15 plus years. My current washer is 10 years old, still running like a champ. It will corrode the finish off the front of your washer if your not careful. Nothing that a bit of clear coat couldn‘t fix.

Here a quote to show why there is a discrepancy between who is right. “There are dozens of rubbers out there with different chemical compositions, some of which react with vinegar and some that do not,” Glajch says. “If you don’t know what kind of rubber is in your appliance and the manual doesn’t say you can use vinegar, then don’t.”

So basically it boiling down to what type of washing machines you have. If you have no problems, than you are golden. However don't be surprised if someone else has problems. Washer Machine are only standardized to standardized landuary soap. Not homemade ones. So some machines are fine, well others aren't.

• Terry Holder

I work for a hose manufacture. I can atest that viniger diluted with water will not hurt your hoses. The funny thing with hoses is that they can with stand a lot of abuse. Hoses only crack because of age and like anything they don't last forever. Lots of hoses are made with the same material as the coolant hoses to your vehical and able to withstand high heat. But pressure is a whole different ball game, as certain chemical compounds need to be added for strength to withstand a specific psi.

Fabric softener is a cationic surfactant that makes your blood coagulate. Dryer sheets also😭😭😭all heart problems people, look it up

• Mark

It rots rubber over time. Either by drying rubber out or turning it into putty. Using it for a fabric softener and the outcome is truly delusional.

• Rosie C

how can anyone claim that liquid softener does not cause build up? that is essentially what it was created to do. garments feels softer due to the build of an oily/wax layer on the fabric. this same build up also forms inside the machine and coats rubber parts especially when used in cold water cycles.

even if you do not use a separate fabric softener, major laundry detergents contain additives meant to soften and brighten fabric to counteract the hardness of most water sources. this helps clothes feel softer as we all know, but eventually will build up in machine.

the official name for this buildup is scrud. LG has on their website: Scrud is the name given to the waxy build up that can occur within any washer when the Fabric softener comes into contact with detergent. If Scrud is allowed to build up in the machine it can result in stains on the clothes and an unpleasant smell in the washer. (https://www.lg.com/nz/support/product-help/CT20186041-20151136257128#:undefined)

hard water is a major reason why people feel that they need more fabric softener. when clothes come out stiff, it is often due to minerals left behind by hard water (calcium/magnesium/etc). If people didn't have hard water, there would likely be no need for chemical softener additives.

why does vinegar works as a 'softener'?...vinegar deactivates/dissolves the calcium/magnesium in hard water. The acidity of vinegar helps to dissolve mineral particles by making them charged. These newly charged particles become attracted to the positive and negative charges in water and can be washed away easily. (https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/hardness-water?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects)

I think it is unfair to blame vinegar for damaged machine parts. detergents contain many chemicals that have the potential to damage rubber. Vinegar when (used appropriately in the softener compartment) will make your clothes softer, and your machine will smell better. Still, I can't make any claims about how using vinegar will affect the longterm condition of your machine. However, it will prevent slimy gross brown buildup from fabric softener, which does have negative impacts on your washing machine.

• Steve S

Fabric softener buildup in the washing machine isn’t a huge problem. The only place to be concerned really is in the dispenser tray. Here it can build up a thick layer and cause a blockage. Most dispenser trays are removable for this reason.

I clean mine out over the sink with a soft brush and warm water is all thats needed.

Fabric softener build up inside the washing machine is otherwise not a problem. Once it’s out of the dispenser tray it gets mixed in with so much water and then absorbed into your clothes.

The only place you have to worry about fabric softener residue is in the dryer. And this is really only a problem if you use dryer sheets as it can leave a waxy clear coating over the many moisture and temperature sensors used in most modern dryers. This can prevent these sensors from getting a correct reading resulting in too little or too much drying or the wrong temperature.

This doesn’t mean dryer sheets are bad, but if you use them be sure to routinely wipe the sensors. Usually rubbing alcohol and a paper towel is all that is needed to clear it.

• dadoes

"Steve S.: Fabric softener buildup in the washing machine isn’t a huge problem."

Not true. Friends of my sister destroyed their frontloader via softener ... continual overdosing and not running enough hot washes or the tub clean cycle (which on their model would heat to 130°F) to keep the residue cleared. They gave it to my sister for me to rebuild. The interior of the outer tub and exterior of the inner drum and support spider were coated with softener residue and the machine reeked of the scent. The spider hub crumbled to waxy gravel residue and broke loose during spin, the careening drum tore a gash in the front of of the outer tub.

• Thomas Fisher

Can we PLEASE lock this thread? 11 years later it's STILL going on?????

• chrissymj

Nooooooo! Don’t lock this thread! It’s my favorite!

Does anyone know what's *really* in fabric softeners? No, because it's not required by law for ingredients of softener to be listed. That alone is reason enough for me to want to steer clear-- IMO, if fabric softeners were not full of chemicals that fact would be proudly displayed on the jug... And did you know that scented fabric softener sheets are an effective deterrent to mice? The artificial scents (again, produced by unnamed chemicals) irritate their respiratory systems so they avoid them. Those are 2 reasons I use vinegar in my washer and dryer balls (sometimes with a few drops of lavender essential oil added) in my dryer.

My clothes are soft, I have no gunk in my washer-- but the tub *does* sparkle because every load gently cleanses away detergent buildup, so that is a consequence of using vinegar, one I gladly accept!