chery2

LOOKING for: How to make a pound cake from a box mix?

chery2

You know how some cake-mix boxes have a recipe on the back or side of the boxes for making a moister, firmer cake? Is there some kind of formula to follow? I'm esp. interested in making cakes that will turn out well when baked in a tube pan, like a pound cake. Just made my FIL's PINEAPPLE POUND CAKE, and I almost BLUSHED at the ingredients I was using!

I mean,

3 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup mayonnaise

8 eggs

1 cup crushed pineapple

3 cups flour

1 t. vanilla

1 t. lemon extract

pinch salt

is not that long a list for a cake, but Geez, Louise! How do you spell R-I-C-H? I made it for my sister-in-law from OR, who had it once before and thought my FIL should go into the business of selling his cakes!

If you're interested, the directions are these:

PREHEAT OVEN TO 3:25.

CREAM MAYO AND CRISCO AND SUGAR.

ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME.

BLEND IN FLOUR, ONE CUP AT A TIME.

ADD CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, STIR IN EXTRACTS, AND TURN INTO A GREASED AND FLOURED TUBE PAN.

BAKE ONE AND A HALF HOURS.

It was done in exactly the given time. It did fall a bit as it cooled, which I hope won't change the flavor or texture. Brother and SIL due any minute now. It's 5:00, so they must've stopped for lunch. We'll grill out if DH gets home on time.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!