Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyland

All new appliances from the same line?

13 years ago

I'm pricing out a set of new appliances for a remodel. Looking for a range, microwave, fridge, and dishwasher. The Electrolux line, with their rebates, fits in my budget. But I keep going back and forth on maybe I should get a different dishwasher since there're some bad reviews on the Electrolux one, and another brand will probably wash just as well for a bit cheaper... and a couple of the threads on this site made me think that maybe a Samsung fridge might give me the same/better features for less cost.

Can you share your opinions on choosing products from the same line when needing all the appliances, or mix-n-match to get the best features/price combo?

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

I had this same debate with myself early on in the kitchen planning. All of the suggestions I read here seemed to say the same thing. Buy the best of each type of appliance you can afford with the individual features you want regardless of brand. Why be stuck with ovens that don't fit your cooking/baking needs just so that it matches the dishwasher?

That advice made complete sense to me and made all the difference. I am planning on new KA double wall ovens, fridge and a DCS cooktop to go with my two-year old Kenmore dishwasher.

Good luck with your search!

• 13 years ago

Absolutely don't worry about matching brands! Finishes these days are very compatible, unless you choose an unusual color, so getting items from different manufacturers certainly doesn't make things clash.

Also, seldom does one company do a really good job making completely different appliances. Some are known for their high quality cooktops and stoves and others are known for their good dishwashers. I have an AGA range, a F&P dishwasher, and a KA fridge. Each met my criteria for that particular appliance, and they look fine together.

• 13 years ago

Another vote here for mixing brands. When you walk into a model home and they have all GE appliances for example, wanna know why? It isn't because they think the kitchen looks better or because that's how it's "supposed" to be. It's because GE (or whoever) cut them a deal for buying all the appliances for that development. Of course the builder isn't going to use the appliances, so he's not quite as concerned with features of each individual piece. He's more concerned with his costs.

In reality, as holligator pointed out, no one company makes the best of every different appliance. And in addition, your needs are different than other people's so even if one company was the perceived ideal, that might not be YOUR ideal according to your tastes and needs.

Buy the best of each type of appliance you can afford with the individual features you want regardless of brand. That's the advice to go with. And believe me, no one is ever going to walk into your kitchen and say, "How odd, you have an Electrolux Range and a Samsung fridge!" But you will definitely regret getting appliances that don't suit you just so that the brands match.

• 13 years ago

I'm just about ready to order my appliances.
    Samsung 4 door refrigerator (FD with the new drawer)
    Electrolux Icon High Speed, 30" wall single oven. 36" induction cooktop and after looking at everything... the Elux Icon dishwasher.
    I was not trying to be brand loyal and really looked hard at other DW but like certain features about the Elux Icon.

• 13 years ago

Also, you raise your "appliance risk" by buying all one brand. If something goes wrong with more than one appliance, you'll be dealing with the same people for multiple appliances, and if you don't get satisfaction, you will be stuck with that poor customer service for all your appliances, since they're all the same brand. Instead, you should diversify--just like the stock market. You wouldn't put all your money into just one stock would you?

• 13 years ago

Do they each have the features you want, or are you compromising for the sake of uniformity? We looked at the Electrolux, but at that time, the only choice of fridge was a side-by-side. That is precisely what we didn't want. Do they have a different fridge now?