Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Your Fav Movie/TV Interior Decor

13 years ago

I just read Catkin's post about Antie Mame's interior design. Makes me wonder what other movies/tv shows have interior designs that have inspired people. Seems to me that almost any movie with Diane Keaton seems to have nice home interiors. I will pay more attention from now on.

Anybody?

Comments (49)

• 13 years ago

I love Nora's kitchen on Brothers & Sisters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nora's kitchen

• 13 years ago

Somethngs Gotta Give ( of course Diane Keaton ) I so want that dining room .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2008/07/james-radin-something-gotta-give.html

• 13 years ago

Wow.... Thanks for the links... LOVE and COVET

• 13 years ago

Cam and Mitchell's house on "Modern Family"

Rita's house on "Dexter"

Dexter's apartment on "Dexter"

All the interiors on "Six Feet Under". Some set designer clearly had a thing for vintage stoves because every "home" had one.

The kitchen on "The Big C", beautiful yellow cabinets and navy trim tile on backsplash.

Of course, for me no list would be complete without "The Brady Bunch" house. As a kid, I imagined living in that house, even if they only had one bathroom!

• 13 years ago

I love old houses, so am equally enthralled with interiors from films from the late 30s through the early 50s. I watched "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" last night, and loved the house where the gorgeous Gary Cooper lived in the beginning of the flick. (Although, there's no way that could have been the home of a straight male. Puh-lease. ;-)) "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" will always be another favorite of mine, not only for the visuals but for the adorable dialogue as well.

• 13 years ago

One of my favorite old movie interiors is Houseboat with Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.
    The old movie Tammy with Debbie Reynolds ( cant remember the name of movie- but the southern mansion was grand).
    If the dialog gets boring in an old movie- I look around the actors to see the background.

When I was little I wished we lived in Lucy and Rickys apt! and then fell in love with their farmhouse.

• 13 years ago

I used to love Mary Richard's quirky little apartment. The big M on the wall, the stain glass pull down window in the kitchen, the little table & chairs in front of the big window.

• 13 years ago

The brillant and informative blog "Hooked on Houses" has done a whole series on settings in movies and on TV.

My personal list:

-"Practial Magic" -- simply a dream home for me!

-"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" (especially the "paint scene" which should be required viewing for all decorators! LOL!) This movie was poorly remade into "The Money Pit" BUY should be re-done again ... after all .... there are so many folks re-doing, building and buying homes!

-"Bewitched" -- both the TV version and the movie

-"Somethings Gotta Give"

-"The Holiday"

-and most Nora Ephron films -- she understands that her key audience WANTS to see settings/homes/houses that really appeal

-"Father of the Bride" -- both the earlier version and the later version

-"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" -- both the original movie (keep tissues close at hand) and the TV version

-"The Addams Family" -- both the movie version and the TV version

-"The Munsters"

-"I Married a Witch" -- brillant movie, funny and charming!

-"The Stepford Wives"

-"Pride & Predjuidice"

-"Emma"

-"The Thin Man" series of movies

-"Rosemary & Thyme" -- fun and brillant BBC series about a pair of garden designers who solve mysteries -- and gorgeous homes and gardens!

-"Cold Comfort Farm" -- funny movie set in the 20s in England

-"Lord of the Rings" -- Bilbo Baggins' home and the importance of home, hearth, food, music in the books and the movies .....plus other settings throughout the whole series -- look at Rivendell!

There are numerious other film homes in MANY genres -- and homes in books too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooked on Houses -- Movie/TV Houses

• 13 years ago

Thanks, Teacats!!! I'm joining Netflix today! So many good suggestions on movies/shows in general.

• 13 years ago

Awe, one of my favorite questions.

I love the Father of the Bride house, I love Dutch Colonials. And of course the Home Alone house.

Did anyone ever notice the kitchen in The Perfect Murder with Glewth Paltrow and Michael Douglas? In fact, I loved that whole Manhattan apartment, simply gorgeous.

Let's not forget, "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" house by the sea, I loved that house.

I even liked the house in Driving Miss Daisy, I loved the neighborhood. There are so many houses and neighborhoods like that in Birmingham and Mountain Brook, Alabama.

I remember seeing Rosemary's Baby when I was a young teenager and loving and wanting to decorate it.

War of the Roses is another house to die for IMO.

....Jane

• 13 years ago

The bathroom in Gay Divorcee, the living room in Indiscreet, and the kitchen in Goodbye Charlie (the original, not the remake).

• 13 years ago

The Vampires house in Twlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vampire/Hole House....

• PRO
    13 years ago

The Ponderosa from Bonanza. With Hop Sing included.
    Rustic exterior with formal/lodge interior! Love it!

• PRO
    13 years ago

...and the house in Christmas in Connecticut.

• 13 years ago

I love the house from Bringing Up Baby. It's on the Hooked on House's website also.

Look at the sunlight streaming in the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bringing Up Baby

• 13 years ago

I second the Home Alone decor as well as the Stepford Wives Movie with Nicole Kidman. I bought the SW video so that I could stop the movie and analyze the decor not only inside but the outside landscpaing is beautiful as well. I've incorporated many of the ideas in my own home...hope that doesn't make me a stepford :)

• 13 years ago

Another old movie has a wonderful storyline and a gorgeous old cottage: "The Enchanted Cottage"

• 13 years ago

Love "Brining Up Baby" house!

Anyone remember the house in the TV show "Hart to Hart"? Stephanie Powers and Robert Wagner and of course Max and Freeway.

• 13 years ago

I love the apartment in the Alfred Hitchcock movie "Rope".

• 13 years ago

O.K., I'm with Bleigh and Newdawn I loved the house in Father of the Bride 1 and 2, Something's Gotta Give. I can't remember the name of the Christmas movie last year with Sarah J. Parker but that house was alright, not as good as Somethings Gotta Give or the one with Meryl Streep last year at Christmas with Jack Nicholson. But anyway, I haven't liked one as much as Somthings Gotta Give. So hope this holiday season there is a good house movie because I'm always looking at the settings as well as the movie. Oh Please have a good house to look at soon. The magazine's aren't all that great can't something good happen to inspire me!

• 13 years ago

Oh yes the Enchanted Cottage- I loved loved the decor and setting. And you are right, the story line was touching as well.

• 13 years ago

I don't remember the name of the movie or the stars, but I believe the male star plays the lead in a hospital series. Anyway, the boy and girl went to college together and she invited him to spend Christmas with her and her family in Quebec, Canada. She had two sisters and her father was always nude. Her grandmother thinks the boy is her deceased husband. Her family home was art nouveau. I believe this was a real mansion in Quebec, and was the most wonderful archectiture and furnishings I have ever seen. It was like something out of a fairy tale. A real world treasure.

• 13 years ago

I remember always liking the bedroom that Eliza Doolittle stayed in in My Fair Lady... real flowery wallpaper... just so cheery and gorgeous.

• 13 years ago

The 1936 version of "Craig's Wife" is an interesting movie featuring a beautifully decorated house. Rosalind Russell plays a woman who cares more about her house and its furnishings than her family. A cautionary tale for us, perhaps? It's kinda a hoot. Billie Burke (of Glenda, the Good Witch fame) plays the neighbor who lives in the rose-surrounded cottage next door.

• 13 years ago

I loved the location/setting of the house in The Big Chill.

• 13 years ago

I liked the interior of the house in Ruthless People, because it was so awful. It has every earmark of 80s postmodernist Memphis excess and absurdity. The furniture was originally designed as kind of a commentary about the stasis in furniture design at the time (really new furniture demands a new technology and there wasn't one). However, the people in this movie really embraced it. Now, the pieces are so rare (and some of the more interesting ones are still produced) and its all $$$$. Individual pieces are interesting as objects, but not by the roomful.

• 13 years ago

I also liked the dwarf's cottage in Snow White.

• 13 years ago

There was a movie or tv movie mystery/thriller a long time ago in chich the main character lived in a converted grist mill. There was a glass wall with the water wheel behind it. I would love to see that movie again but cannot remember anything else about it.

• 13 years ago

I knew there was another one that I just loved, but couldn't remember the name of the movie when I first posted. "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.
    That is another house I could just cozy right up in.

• 13 years ago

I love Jean's house in the Britcom "As Time Goes By". Not overdone, but classic and comfortable.

• 13 years ago

Well.. I got stuck watching some TV over the holiday and it seems like Sanford and Son's were very influential for many in the area of Interior decor.

• 13 years ago

I'm laughing so much at this..... Thanks.

• 13 years ago

I like elements of Ellie's in Cougartown.
    Kyra Sedgwick's house in the Closer.
    All the houses in Royal Pains, lol....

• 13 years ago

I often like the sets on The Mentalist and The Good Wife.

Claire and Phil's on Modern Family.

Hot in Cleveland has the floor pattern we will be doing. I love that kitchen.

• 13 years ago

Has anybody seen the news HBO series Boardwalk Empire? I think the first episode cost 16 million (the most expensive ever) to make and the sets are truly amazing.

• 13 years ago

I love looking at the rooms, now I feel like watching all the movies.

• 13 years ago

cat_tail - "As Time Goes By" is my favorite T.V. program!
    I've watched the re-runs so many times, yet I never grow tired of them.

I agree with you that Jean's house is classic, comfortable, and not over done. Remember when Lionel was first moving in with Jean and the green leather chair that was added to the LR? I think Jean (or maybe Sandy & Judi) bought it especially for Lionel...so that he would have something sort of masculine and "his" to add to the home.

I also notice the art work on the walls. Love their brass bed, and the draperies in the DR. I also love the simple wood kitchen table.

Alistair's flat or condo is pretty sleek/modern. I think I've only seen a couple episodes with his "bachelor pad".

The Hardcastle's huge home in the country is gorgeous. I would love to have that country kitchen with the blue & white tiles. I also love the various china that's displayed in the hutch in that kitchen : )

-Laurie

• 13 years ago

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I remember something about the home/apt? that Barbra Streisand and Lauren Bacall lived in in the movie "The Mirror Has Two Faces" appealed to me.

On the other hand, how about the house in the documentary, and later the movie, Grey Gardens? That's probably the direction my home is heading. HA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior of Grey Gardens

• 13 years ago

Wait, wait I forgot about one I was just commenting on the other night to my hubby. I love the home in the movie Holiday Inn...also the one in White Chritmas. I've always wondered if they were the same sets....sure look a lot alike.

• 13 years ago

Pupwhipped, that doesn't look like Grey Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grey Gardens then and now

• 13 years ago

I've never heard of Grey Gardens, but I'm fascinated by the story now. May have to rent both of the movies.

Laurie

• 13 years ago

Laurie, DO!!! I saw the Drew Barrymore/Jessica Lange movie first then watched the documentary. The documentary is available online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grey Gardens 1975 documentary

• 13 years ago

I just saw The King's Speech, and I now want to live in Lionel Logue's offices. I'm pretty sure it's a real location, although part of it might be a set.

• 13 years ago

Thank you, natal! I found out the library has the movie with Drew Barrymore, but I wasn't sure where to find the documentary. I just finished watching it. I can't figure out if living there made Edie crazy or if she had to be a little bit crazy to begin with. Very interesting.

Laurie

• 13 years ago

Laurie, not so much crazy as psychologically seduced by her mother.

The HBO movie is great! Showcases both of their lives through the years.

A side note ... I remember thinking how stunning Drew Barrymore was as a redhead in the movie.

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

Sorry to be so off topic here, but I read that she moved away from the house after her mother died. Does anyone know how she supported herself? She seemed like a little girl in an adult body and hadn't worked in years. Don't answer this if the move will answer it for me, but I couldn't help but wonder where the sons were during this time and why they didn't help out more.

Drew does look really pretty in that picture.

Laurie

• 13 years ago

Easy one for me...Something's Gotta Give!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm