Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

OT--Getting a message that the certificate for GW isn't OK

16 years ago

Is anyone else getting this message when they try to log in? I've gone through weeks of clearing up a nasty computer virus so this makes me a bit nervous.

The message is saying that the authentication certificate for this website expired on 12/23 and that the issuer for the new one isn't recognized. Any info?

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

yes, I've been getting it too...

• 16 years ago

I'm automatically logged in and just link into the site. No problems.

• 16 years ago

Yes I got it yesterday when I was on a particular computer as well. (not today on this one... whatever that means. I guess it means you are not crazy)

• 16 years ago

Me,too.

• 16 years ago

Believe it or not when that happens you need to update your browser. Since you are experiencing other problems I would recommend you go through your windows updates which will also update your browser. also hints on your virus cleaning being successful (see windows help to find how):
    1. with your computer off line turn off your virus scanner
    2. Delete all previous restore points
    3. in your system tools run disk clean up then disk defrag
    turn your virus scanner back on go to windows update and do all the critical updates. I am not sure if your browser is listed under critical or not but make sure you update your browser
    4. I would also download and run the free Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    make sure your virus scanner is up to date. If you do not have a virus scanner then install one of the free 30 day trials of Norton or McAfee. It still works after the 30 days but does not protect you from new viruses that come out. McAfee has a free site Adviser that I use and it tells me if sites I go on are safe to be there and also lets me know when I put my email address in the site if that site will spam me to death. That works after the 30 days. I admit after my 30 days was up I just keep the site advisor on my computer. I think Norton has it now too.
    Last but not least don't open any files you get on email. I look at pictures that people send me and thats it!! I TELL EVERYONE NOT TO SEND ME ANY GAMES OR ANY OTHER FILES BECAUSE I WILL NOT OPEN THEM.
    Once you do all your maintenance create a new restore point
    I might not follow this thread so you can email me directly to tell me to check the thread or ask questions.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Ad-aware (free)

• 16 years ago

I'm getting it as well.

• 16 years ago

msjay2u,

Thanks for the tips, but I regularly run Ad-Aware as well as Spy-Bot and other programs. It took weeks but I was able to clean out the virus I did have, and now I'm really paranoid about keeping my PC clean. I agree about never opening any files that people send either. I just delete them all.

beache

• 16 years ago

I've been getting this for the past 3 days. It doesn't matter what browser, what computer - it's the SITE'S certificate that's the problem, not yours. Believe it or not, I get the same thing from my school district's email site, and they gave me a long explanation about the "why" of it.

DonnaR/CA

• 16 years ago

I get those messages at odd times. Is that a bad sign? Haven't had any problems and usually, I think, I'm on a trusted site.

Does it mean someone could be intercepting the site connection or something?

Recently my AOL mailbox was emptied, all but two months. Are there viruses out there that snatch emails? I thought maybe AOL did it cause I don't usually save them to my PC. Comcast did that -- deleted my emails -- that I needed! Never responded to the incident report/request for restoration either.

• 16 years ago

I don't claim to be an expert but I used to do e-service Technical Support for about 6 years and most people did not believe me when I told them what the problem was.

The simplist way I can explain it is that whenever you go to a site that requires you to sign in you need a certificate from the root signing authority installed in your certificate repository. These root certificates are typically pre-installed at the factory in browsers. When you go to a website your browser attempts to verify their certificate against what you have in your browser and if it does not find it you get an invalid certificate warning. It is a security feature embedded in the browser. Most of the time it is a matter of your browser root certificates being outdated but sometimes viruses have removed some of your certificates. The error message does make it seem that the website is the problem but if it was the website all of us would be getting the same error message.

If you are still in doubt do some research on root certificates on the Internet but my explanation is probably easier to understand than the technical explanations you are likely to find.

You also must keep your Java updated. I included a link to verify your java version as well.

I am not sure which browsers are giving you trouble but yes some viruses do remove your certificates from your root depository commonly as an attempt to trick you when luring you to phishing sites.

Remember that the free site advisor can be your best friend along with an up-to-date browser. That really helps in safe surfing.

Thats my 2 cents based on my best knowledge.
    I hope it helps someone! Or maybe I misunderstood the question???
    Ms Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: verify your Java

• 16 years ago

BTW Donnar what browser and version does your school use? Some of the smaller government entities do not have the latest versions of a browser installed and they prevent you from updating it. To make a long story short it has to do with budget and them synching their Intranet to the new browser for their software to work correctly.

squirrelhaven... AOL is a strange creature all in itself. Most technical support people cringe when they hear AOL. LOL.
    Seriously...Outlook email is held in a file on your computer. Outlook uses a *.pst file and if it becomes corrupted you will lose some or all of your email. It is best to back it up occassionally. You might be able to contact your ISP and ask them to recover your email as they do have backups of everthing that goes through their server. If they had a court order they can certainly do it so you might be able to convince them using that angle. I would call and speak to a supervisor if the lower level tech does not know how to open the trouble ticket for you. I would not expect results for atleast a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to backup outlook*** tutorial***

• 16 years ago

I got the message yesterday, so I didn't log in. Now today it is fine and I didn't get that message.

• 16 years ago

I had similar problems yesterday. It appears this site's new certification is in place now.