Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

do I REALLY need lights over island & under cabs??

16 years ago

My kitchen has recessed lighting. When we redo the place we are putting in a 25"w x 81" work island. Why would I need to put in extra lights running down the middle of the kitchen ceiling to hang over the island? If there is sufficient light in the room now, is this really necessary?

I have a fluorescent fixture under cab above sink and am planning to do the same when we redo - and I never turn on the other under cab fixture because it is in a corner where I don't work. I will now have 46" between sink and range - but I am doing contemporary slab-front cabinets and hate to think of putting light bars on the bottoms of all the cabs; bad enough over the sink! Has anybody used those battery-operated stickum puck lights?

Comments (14)

• 16 years ago

imo, while they may not serve any "real" purpose, I think they make good mood-lights, especially when other lights are turned off.

I saw this in my friend's place, and liked it. We have our island pendants and a matching central light, all controlled by one switch and the rest under another switch. Remodel still in progress - no pix yet...

/venkat

• 16 years ago

I would say definitely have lights over your island. You may find that when you are working there, your other lights actually cause your body to cast a shadow on your work. I spent a few weeks with a broken fixture over my island and HATED how dark it seemed there.

• 16 years ago

I rarely use the recessed lighting in the kitchen!

When I cook, only the UC lights and the islands lights and the hood lights are on.

• 16 years ago

We haven't officially moved back into kitchen yet, but in the past month, I am really surprised at how many times I have used the pendant lights over our peninsula, and how I have LOVED the extra light. I am 51, and somehow, my eyes just crave light- so keep in mind, as you get older, you will really appreciate the added lighting.

• 16 years ago

YES!!!

• 16 years ago

I have never had undercabinet lights and have never found myself wishing I did, so I won't have them in the new kitchen. I did make sure I have good general lighting for the whole kitchen, but there is no fixture right over the island...Just one light to each side so that light comes from both directions. Below is a rendering of what ours will look like. The lights are actually in and I can tell the island will have plenty of light. If your current lighting spreads over the area of the island to your satisfaction, you don't have to add.

• 16 years ago

If you don't want a hanging fixture, you could put recessed lights over the island. But, yeah, you probably do want something right over the island :)

• 16 years ago

I've never worn glasses in my life...until 2 years ago and now I HAVE to have them for reading. Under cabinet lighting really helps with reading cookbooks, the mail - whatever else I read while at the counter. If you plan on staying in your house for a long enough time that you might need middle-aged cheater glasses, I say plan ahead and get the lighting installed now.

• 16 years ago

You probably don't NEED any of that. If you have recessed lighting all over your kitchen you probably have plenty of light. We have some friends who have a lovely large kitchen and I've never seen any lights on there except recessed cans. They have no shortage of light.

I personally don't care to have all that overhead light on every time I'm in my kitchen - in fact I have no recessed cans and never turn on the one ceiling light in my kitchen. I prefer a "cozier" feel that I don't feel when I have ceiling lights on - in any room including the kitchen. I use under cabinet lighting and pendants over island nearly all the time.

If the room is fully lighted with the recessed cans - which may very well be - then the rest is probably more of a nice to have if you want to have options for different levels of light and "ambiance" in your kitchen.

• 16 years ago

Like kec01, I found with age, my eyes really really likes having undercounter lighting. I suspect if I had an island, I would also like having lights there too. I also say, if you're going to be in this house until you're in your 40s, undercounter lighting is a good idea.

• 16 years ago

We have a fairly contemporary kitchen with slab doors and our KD suggested that we didn't need and additional pendants. But I really wanted them because they do change the look of the kitchen. It gives them something "different" and also a little splash of color.

As for undercabinet lighting I'm very glad we have them. One reason is that they really illuminate the granite counters and make them sparkle! And I love turning them on in the morning as the only light 'cause my eyes are not quite ready for a full blast of light from the recessed lights in the ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

I don't think you HAVE to put lights over the island, but I think you would be missing out on adding some pizazz (sp?) to your kitchen. Beatrix proves this in her pics. (LOVE those pendants.)

My kitchen doesn't get much natural light so I went crazy on lighting and really like it. Brightens up my dreary Minnesota winter days.

Good luck!

• 16 years ago

I'm 61, and I agree with all those who believe the more light the better. There NEVER seems like enough light in the kitchen for me--and my four pendants have 150W clear incandescent bulbs in them! For next year's remodel, we need to replace them with fluorescent fixtures (California Title 24 requirements), and I'm struggling to find a combination of overcabinet, undercabinet, and pendant lighting that will give me even more light than I have now. We've got no ceilings--just roof rafters--so recessed lighting is out.

• 16 years ago

Beatrix - love the look of your under cabinet lighting - are they halogen, LED or fluorescent? I'm on a search now for both under cab and pendants. Also, where is your switch for the under cabinet lighting? I have the same problem first thing in the morning; my husband turns on all the recessed lights and I turn 'em off because they hurt my eyes.