Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20307792

Building a house: How often did you visit the construction site?

9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Our construction site is 30 minutes away--not terribly far, but not terribly convenient, either. Construction is supposed to start this week and be done mid-June.

How often did you visit the site during construction, or how often would you recommend doing so? We're allowed to visit as often as we like without any notice. I imagine that we'll visit more often as the house gets closer and closer to closing, but do you have any advice?

I know this isn't exactly a design dilemma...but it could become one if we don't check out the site often enough!

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• 9 years ago

Daily - only way to catch mistakes and get them corrected. You'll still pay for having the errors fixed, but you'll be on top of it sooner. Biggest issue was when all the vents were cut on walls where beds would be placed over them- $100 per vent in the 70's to close up the holes and put them at windows and out from under furniture locations. They were correct on the plans, but...

User thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago
    Every day!!!
    User thanked Theresa Holt
  • 9 years ago
    Nearly every day but it depended on what was happening at the job site. We were lucky that our contractor was so picky and supervised every board, nail or shingle being installed. Still, it helped us and our builder that we showed up often so we could discuss the progress.
    User thanked raineycarole
  • 9 years ago

Make sure you take pictures of every step of the way! I have photos of where the studs are, as well as all electrical wiring runs. If I hadn't been onsite I wouldn't have caught that the mantel wasn't level. As far as visiting the site, I think it would depend whether it is custom-build or in a development. Mine was in a development and I was supposed to have the onsite salesperson accompany me, but I never did.

User thanked Nancy Walton
  • 9 years ago
    Having a house built right now and I stop by every few days days, usually after the workers have gone home to see how it's going. The builder is the professional not you...If you feel you have to keep a constant eye over the project and check behind their work every day...you probably should have picked another builder! And Wow 3 months from start to finish on a house is fast, our builder has an 11 month build time, we still have 2 1/2 months to go to finish up the interior.
    User thanked SG
  • 9 years ago

Thank you for your help, all! Looks like I'm going to need to adjust my expectations :) I so appreciate your advice!

• 6 years ago

I am in the process of building as well. I go by daily to document the progress. Some phases are more exciting than others. Now that we’re down to the interior/exterior details, I’m much more active and aggressive.

• 5 years ago

after framing not more than once a week until the final detail work started taking place (last 2 months) now a couple times a week!

• 5 years ago

I should note we have a builder we trust and good contractors so far.

• 5 years ago

Back in the 80s we lived in NJ and the Air Force was transferring us to Oklahoma. We flew out and picked a lot within a subdivision that was about three quarters filled and talked to the builder.. Every house was different but all were built around a center "core" that contained the HVAC and laundry. I did the basic floor plan, sent it to the builder once I got home, and we moved a few months later never once having seen the house. Fortunately we liked it.

I cringe when I think of how badly this could have gone but luckily he was a good builder. We knew many people who had moved to Altus and built houses there; in fact, one of our new neighbors had also moved from the NJ base so we had at least some reassurance that he would do a decent job. The house is still standing lol..

• 5 years ago
    We have visited typically at least once a day- granted there have been stretches of time that we didn’t visit daily - if we knew no activity was happening or traveling, etc. but mostly- we visited daily. We liked to visit around 4-5pm. Our team was typically there early- usually no later than 7am, and done by 4. So it was nice to see the progress each day without being in their way. Of course we visited at various times too!

I would strongly recommend trying to visit once a day whenever possible. We have caught mistakes and errors along the way, and it’s always best /easier to call out mistakes right away so they can be corrected before the next step is taken, etc.

Good luck!! Building is crazy stressful and overwhelming at times... but it is also SO MUCH fun, and incredibly rewarding. We close next week... while it still doesn’t feel “real” - I’m getting there! Have FUN & enjoy the process as much as you can!!!
  • 3 years ago

Im currently building and go every other day