Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Southern hosta pictures from the beginning.....Year 4, 3, 2, 1

9 years ago

The addiction began in 2012 with my two hosta trial. Now I have somehow managed to move up to 33.

Guacamole.....4th season. 3.5 feet across so far this year

Francee.....3rd season. Don't know for sure if it leaped this year but it may have.

Satisfaction.......Second season. Up from 3 to 9 pips this year.

Risky Business.....Season 1. Super strong grower so far.

Comments (17)

• 9 years ago

Up early, Steve, and posting away. Your hosta all look vibrant and healthy, especially Risky Business. Is Loyalist hiding under that huge Guacamole?

• 9 years ago

I'm always up early. That came from years of going to work between 1 and 4am. :) That's my first year Rainbow's End next to Guacamole.

• 9 years ago

Good looking hostas. Looks like Risky Business is going on the want list!

Dave

• 9 years ago

Southern, those are some beautiful host as. I especially like your Risky Business. Keep those pics coming.

• 9 years ago

Some beauties there ! All of them have very vibrant colors and appear very healthy, did you put any fertilizer on them or did they just come up that healthy ?

• 9 years ago

Thanks very much. They only ferts they get is what I dose in my planted aquarium. I do a water change every two weeks so they get a good drink of that each time. What exactly that does for them, I don't know for sure.

• 9 years ago

Loved the appetizers, entrees to follow please? Gorgeous shine on Guacamole! My two-year old wants to grow up just like that! ;-)

• 9 years ago

So very nice, Steve. You do know that beautiful Devil's advocate is going to take up some major real estate at maturity. Mint smells great but is very evasive you know? It will take over trust me.

• 9 years ago

Donna....I can keep it under control as long as it doesn't climb out of the pot. :) How big will one get growing in the ground?

• 9 years ago

The roots travel underground quickly and choke everything in its path. I didn't realize yours was in a pot. Keep it there. By the way I planted my new Rainforest Sunrise and it is very perky!

garden 2015 · More Info

• 9 years ago

All of mine are in pots.

That looks great! I'll have to put RS back on the buy list for next year. Mine was a dud from the word go. The leaves got about the size of a nickel and then it fizzled out.

• 9 years ago

All great looking plants, adding to my want list, especially Rainbows End and Risky business. It looks like most of yours are in pots. May I ask what do you use for medium?

• 9 years ago

Great color on ALL of them. Aquarium water must have some good stuff in it. ....Oh, and some credit to the skilled gardener managing all these beauties in pots.

• 9 years ago

I have about 80 gallons of aquarium waste water once every two weeks. It has always been said to be great for outdoor plants. I don't have the scientific evidence to prove that, but you can read plenty about it. The nitrates, nitrites, along with the natural waste in the water is supposed to make plants very happy. My tank is also injected with CO2 and dosed with potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate and trace elements, so some or all of that may be helpful. If it would only kill the plethora of bugs that are doing so much damage to some of my plants this year it would be perfect!

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

old_dirt......Until this year I used only Miracle Grow. This year I am experimenting with something different with about 2/3 of my new acquisitions. It is an organic product made and sold here in Texas called Lady Bug Raised Bed Blend. I talked to a rep from the company and while she had no knowledge of people using it for hostas (not like you see many hostas in Texas), she thought that the pH of the product matched what hostas require. I mixed in some expanded shale with it. It drains well and seems to retain moisture a little better than MG, which is good for our 90-100 days in the summer, but we'll see if it comes back to haunt me in the winter.

http://www.ladybugbrand.com/our-products/soils/raised-bed-blend/

• 9 years ago

Filling out nicely. Thanks for sharing.