Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

The dreaded nose marks from eye glasses

8 years ago

I use my glasses for reading but since I spend most of my waking hours reading in one form or another I wear them until turning off the lights at night. When we go out for dinner I like to go without glasses and only use them to peruse the menu. Because of my constant glasses I have nasty red marks on the sides of the bridge of my nose. They go away after a few hours but since I need new glasses I am hoping to find a style that minimizes the marks. What are your experiences with this? Is there a type of eyeglass that would cause less marking?

Comments (19)

• 8 years ago

I'm interested in this too. I always have nose marks, and I hate them! Thing is, my reading glasses aren't even that heavy, but wearing them all day (as I must) is not only leaving red marks, but semi-permanent indentations as well!

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Get the lightest lenses you can.

I think integrated nose rests leave less indentation than those plastic disc attachments.

Flexible spring hinges help the glasses move with you.

Get a good fitting to minimize sliding forward.

Good luck from a fellow glass wearer!

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • 8 years ago

hey, I just addressed this in the other thread. I was having a terrible time with nose pads irritating my nose -- to the point where it was raw and painful.

My new glasses are much lighter, and don't have those darn little nose pad thingies. The frames are plastic, with the bridge built in to the frame, and hit me in a different place. All good so far.

Holly- Kay thanked violetwest
  • 8 years ago

Holly- Kay - It amazes me that no one has developed an alteration or accommodation for those of us with lopsided ears.

I'm so lucky to have found a pair of DKNY that sit right on my face.

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I'm right there with you! I don't need glasses for anything but reading, but my readers leave red indentations. I did get some very lightweight titanium frames from my eye doc a few years ago, and they work great for that. The problem is that I don't need them all the time. And, I don't want to wear glasses all the time. So I now just use several pairs of inexpensive, non-Rx readers with fairly lightweight plastic frames that I wear like a headband until I need to pull them down to read something. The expensive titanium glasses have those rubber/plastic nose pieces that always get tangled in my hair when I try that. I've tried putting them back in their case in between times, but that gets to be a bother very quickly. If you have to wear glasses most of the day, you might look into the titanium framed ones. They really are very lightweight. I just hope that you can find some attractive ones. Back when I looked last, they weren't .

Holly- Kay thanked LynnNM
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When I switched from wire frames to plastic frames some years ago, I liked that they didn't have the little pads that had given me some irritation on my nose. However, I found that despite being properly fitted for me, my plastic frame glasses would slip down a little, if my nose got the slightest bit oily. So for my latest pair, I decided to try "Asian Fit" glasses, which have a slightly longer nose piece, to sit on the bridge of your nose better, causing less 'slippage.'

Most "designer" eyeglasses come in both regular and "Asian Fit" now, in the optical stores in my city and many on-line sites. I was delighted to find that they are the only pair of plastic frames I own, that never slip down my French/Irish nose! It might be an option to consider, if you have a similar problem. http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/gucci/gg-3708-f-asian-fit/980696/?ifrom=CA&landing_g=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDK-PaxSo6LeJTYsLwvDyNBKMP-pWOWAnxumsUuR0ephoCSaLw_wcB

Holly- Kay thanked amicus
  • 8 years ago

Yep, the trick is to get the plastic frames that don't have nose pads-- I have had a hard time with them though because I have an extremely narrow bridge. I am not sure if that's a real issue for most people but since I have an extreme astigmatism, the prescription changes with the curve of my eye so the glasses MUST sit perfectly in order to correct my vision. Slipping is a big issue (this is why contacts are a no go also-- they spin on your eyeball rather than staying stationary)

Holly, I know of two places that have great frames if you don't mind driving a little way. Higashi in Camp Hill/Lemoyne has a small shop but some very interesting designs and brands you won't find elsewhere (it's in a jewelry shop above the farmer's market-- if you go, I can also recommend a few other shops in the area that will make the trip worthwhile). The other is in downtown Lancaster-- not sure if they are still open but it is one of those places where YOU don't choose frames to try on, their stylists bring them to you based on your face shape, coloring and your personality.

Holly- Kay thanked Funkyart
  • 8 years ago

There are air cushion nose pieces they are wonderful. Most optical shops have them and will swap out the ones that come with the glasses. I ordered several pair from online for all of mine and my husband's glasses. What a world ofddifference it makes. No more red sore spots. Just have to be sure you get the correct type, some screw on some snap on some clamp on. Just take them to the place you got them and ask for air cushion nose pieces or to tell you what type to order. They are super cheap. At Sears they replaced mine with those for free. I asked why they don't put them on the glasses and was told that they leave the original ones on unless someone ask for them or complains about the pain then they swap out the original for the air cushions. So I know Sears optical has them.

Holly- Kay thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 8 years ago

My plastic glasses don't leave indentation marks on my nose. I also like the way they look compared to my old metal glasses.

Holly- Kay thanked juddgirl2
  • 8 years ago

Pickyshopper, let me see if I have this right. The Asian fit are narrower through the bridge than others? I always say that my one DD and I are nose bridge deficient. I actually live in an area with a larger Asian population so hopefully I can find some. I have wanted some plastic frames for years but never found any that fit my face.

• 8 years ago

RN, They aren't narrower through the bridge, comparing them to my "regular" eyeglasses, but the nose bridge piece extends a little bit further, so there's more of the piece to sit on your nose. It's hard to explain, but if a store near you sells the same style in regular and Asian Fit, try them both on and see if you notice a difference in how they sit on your nose.

Of course, either way, the optician should be ensuring the ends of the arms of your glasses have a slight bend downward around your ear, which is done for the fitting, to ensure they'll stay on better. Also, if your hinges have become loose and there's too much play in the arms, of course they'll be prone to sliding down. But if even brand new glasses fitted for you don't stay up well, you may find it resolved by the Asian Fit ones. The optician told me that he often recommends them to anyone who complains that no plastic frame glasses sit properly on their nose. My daughter got Versace Asian Fit glasses as they also fit her better than the Versace regular. http://www.smartbuyglasses.com/designer-eyeglasses/Versace/Versace-VE3205BA-Asian-Fit-GB1-261658.html

• 8 years ago

I know I've talked about this before, but I too have a very narrow bridge and hate the floating nose piece glasses. I was always prone to stick my glasses on my head like a headband and hated getting my hair tangled in the nose pieces. Harsh lesson learned was to avoid those types so I have always bought plastic frames with the molded nose piece. As funkyart knows, a good fit is hard to find. But I'll get my ear pieces adjusted regularly too so they fit well with no sliding.

I had no idea there was an 'Asian Fit' that sat differently on your nose. Thanks for that info, pickyshopper.

Holly- Kay thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 8 years ago

My ophthalmologist is Asian and we kid around about the difficulties faced by Asians when buying glasses. I guess the glasses in the US tend to slide. My nose has a conveniently located slight bump. although my glasses still slide if I get sweaty. The nose pad pieces slide less. The frames I have had for a few years have started to give me a bad nose mark on one side recently. It's actually making a sore. I had to leave them off as much as possible so it could heal. and I slide my glasses down my nose a bit so it doesn't rub that spot. Time for new frames.

• 8 years ago

I have extremely thick lenses that are bifocals, I can't wear the no line type so therefore I can not get the super lightweight lenses they only come in the no lines. I must have a super light frame to help with the overall weight. I just got new glasses and went with Ray Ban carbon fiber frames the lightest weight my lenses would fit in.

• 8 years ago

Our ophthalmologist retired and sold his business to another dr. She was so snooty that she refused to send reminder cards to the other dr's pts. We won't go to her because of that so now we need to find someone else but we are at a total loss as what to do.

Funky, I see a sign for Higashi when I go to DD's on Sundays. CH really isn't far and I drive that way at least once a week. My main problem right now is finding a good ophthalmologist.

• 8 years ago

Yup - the nose pads are far worse in terms of nose marks than the molded plastic frames.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There is a new product called Bye-Bye Nose Dents that you attach to your glasses and it prevents nose dents and nose marks. You can find it on Etsy or Amazon.