Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetkisses031

How to lighten up a kitchen with Cherry cabinets and darker counters

7 years ago

We moved into a home with modern cherry cabinets and brown countertops. This kitchen is not my style and I would like to brighten it up without having to paint the cabinets or change out the countertops. My style is modern farmhouse (think fixer upper, Joanna Gaines). The walls are a light tan color. I have an open concept kitchen/dining/family room, so painting would be costly. I'd like to avoid that if possible!
I've considered putting in an off white (cream) subway tile backsplash and nickel plated pulls on the cabinets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• 7 years ago

Cream glass subway tile, to give some reflectance as well as light color, and nickel hardware. You might need more lighting too.

• 7 years ago

Great ideas. Thanks!

• PRO
    7 years ago

You need COLOR! Start with backsplash but I wouldn't be afraid of paint - no one says you have to paint the entire space the same - can't tell where the kitchen starts and stops and what it's up against but where two walls meet you have a stopping off/starting up point.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Well I am sorry to say I do not think you will be satisfied until you have a total do over of your kitchen. Your cherry cabinets are lovely, but they are either used for modern, transitional or traditional kitchens mainly. It would be a shame to paint them but that would be the only way to save cost and materials. Then your hood is very contemporary and also would need to be changed out to achieve modern farm house. With cabinets painted or replaced to be light colored, off white, oil rubbed bronze hardware or dark metal and a hood that is built in with cabinetry I believe you can achieve your look. Best wishes!

• PRO
    7 years ago

Look at my Houzz site and you can view my idea books under "The social kitchen" There are many farm house, French Country type kitchens in this collection to give you some ideas as well. Best wishes!

• 7 years ago

Thanks so much. I agree with you, but it's just not an option right now unfortunately. I guess I'm stuck with it for now.

• 7 years ago

Since you are a pro ....Question, is there a way to blend the transitional/traditional with rustic? I love pottery barn and I believe they are transitional/traditional with a rustic flair?

• PRO
    7 years ago

Stay encouraged. You do have a very nice kitchen, just not your personal preference. Depending on how long you plan to stay in the home you may or may not decide to redo the kitchen. While you stay in this home be true to the architectural style of the home when you decorate. This will make it look it's best and coordinated, even if it is not your style. Best wishes!

sweetkisses031 thanked R.D. London Studios
  • 7 years ago

I would just paint your wall a lighter version of the tan - more like a warm white - and add brushed chrome knobs or handles to your cabinets. You can change the wall color at a corner, depending on the space. Don't add any type of back splash unless you can remove the 4" granite one first.

• 7 years ago
    My kitchen colors are somewhat similar to yours. Go with a very light beige backsplash. White is too stark. You could paint the one wall your oven is on, not sure how far that wall extends, but paint it several shades lighter. Add brushed nickel knobs and/or pulls to the cabinets, it will really add personality. They can be found in bulk for less on Amazon. I use whites and creams in my dishware. Swap out your see thru canisters for cream or white ones and find some pretty bowls in white for your fruit. I like ones with swirls and texture. The vase of flowers on the island overwhelms the space, I would place it in another room. I replaced my hard, wooden stools at the kitchen island for upholstered ones with nailhead trim, more stylish and way more comfortable and they come in a variety of colors (see photo). I paid less than one hundred dollars a piece for mine online and got free shipping. Also consider under cabinet lighting. You can make these changes a little at a time as your budget allows; the lighting will cost the most if you have it hard wired by an electrician. Good luck!
    sweetkisses031 thanked ellimacgardens
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I would need to see some more interior photos of your décor and the house architectural elements to direct you on your style and possibility of incorporating a rustic theme. Happy to help!

• 7 years ago
    Many people use black accessories in this color style of kitchen, but black adds to the dark, heavy, masculine feeling. That's why I go for the lighter whites and creams, to add a feminine touch. Kohls has a brand of dishes called Fontinella that I love-see photos.
  • 7 years ago
    Our cabinets and counters are similar in color. Our kitchen was a remodel and sits in the middle of the house, so we had to work within those limits. We considered plain subway tile but it just didn't work. Instead, we went with a stacked stone-looking product for the stove area with a black stove pipe-style hood. For the rest across the room by the sink, we chose a light tumbled stone - same dimensions as subway but comes on sheets. We love it! Both were sealed well and cleaning has never been a problem. In fact, the tumbled stone nicely hides any of hubby's coffee splashes until I get to them due to the variation in the stone. We have no windows in the kitchen proper, so natural light is from big windows in the adjacent dining room and two sky lights. We put frosted glass fronts on the upper doors flanking the sink with LED tape lights inside the cabinet. We also have LED fixtures under all the uppers to light the counters. Add color with towels and accessories. So consider a backsplash and add lighting and it will brighten the look a lot.
    sweetkisses031 thanked drbarb03
  • 7 years ago
    I also have cherry cabinets, and I went with cream paint and cream crackle subway tile. The cream color does lighten it up, without being as stark as white would be. Good luck!
  • 7 years ago
    I'm not sure how much upper cabinets you have, but another idea to brighten up is you could have a few doors converted to glass and either paint them a light color inside or fill them with light dishes.