Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enendesign

Trim color to go with BM Chantilly Lace walls

EnEn
6 years ago

Hi-I'm having the walls in my house painted Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore. I want to use a crisper brighter white for the trim, doors, and cabinets. Any suggestions on complimentary colors? I'm leaning towards Super White by B Moore.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Painterrific
    6 years ago

Chantilly lace is Benjamin Moores brightest white super white isn't as bright as Chantilly lace you can do Chantilly lace in a matte or flat finish then the trims in chatilly lace satin or semi gloss for some contrast.

EnEn thanked Painterrific
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

personally, I use the base white w/no added tint. That's BM brightest white.

It's a bright white with no yellow or blue undertones. I use it on all the trim work/doors in my home. Just buy the can off the shelf.

but if you want to try something w/added tint, maybe this will help see the different tones.

maybe try one of the top lines or have them lighten Chantilly by 50%.

EnEn thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

I'm having the walls in my house painted Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore. I want to use a crisper brighter white for the trim, doors, and cabinets. Any suggestions on complimentary colors? I'm leaning towards Super White by B Moore.

Don't do that. I get the look you're after but those are not the right colors to get it because they don't go together.

Use PPG's Delicate White on the walls and SW's Extra White on the trim. Color matches in Ben Moore paint come out nicely if you don't want to buy the colors in their home brands.

I'm not sure, I'd have to look, but I don't think it's mathematically possible to cut the colorant load in Chantilly Lace because it's so small. And even if you could, cutting the formula by 50% doesn't guarantee that it will lighten the color. There's really no way to know what it will do unless you commit to buying the paint and letting the paint store person experiment. Either way, like or not, you own whatever they come up with.

EnEn thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    EnEn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for all of your advice. For the walls I️ used Chantilly Lace in a matte finish from Benjamin Moore’s Regal select line— it’s truly a washable matte. For the trim I️ used the same color in a pearl finish.

I️ couldn’t be happier with the results! Chantilly Lace is so ethereal. It feels crisp and bright but calming at the same time. I’m in love!!
  • PRO
    dale + peonies
    6 years ago

I was looking for this all over the internet! I am happy to hear that you love what you chose. We are building a new house and I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure. So thank you for this thread!

EnEn thanked dale + peonies
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

I️ used Chantilly Lace in a matte finish from Benjamin Moore’s Regal select line— it’s truly a washable matte. For the trim I️ used the same color in a pearl finish.

Perfect way to ensure walls and trim relate and "go together". And it's simple - only one color to deal with.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

I agree--so much angst over whether to use different whites--go with the same color and save yourself a lot of indecision. So glad you like your choice!

EnEn thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • jenniferlaw02
    6 years ago
    Hi! I am looking for a Benjamin Moore white for my walls that will go with the BM Chantilly Lace on my kitchen cabinets. My counters are Silestone calacatta gold quartz, and the backsplash is a white subway tile.

The white walls will not touch the Chantilly Lace cabinets, but they will be in the same room, as my small house is an open floor plan. I am looking for a crisp white. My number one pick right now is Simply White.

I would love feedback in regards to whether or not Simply White would go with Chantilly Lace.

Thank you!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

jenniferlaw,,,,start your own post, and post some pictures. you'll get more help.

• naomisilva123
    6 years ago

jenniferlaw02 - I am doing the exact same thing in my kitchen (Chantilly Lace cabinets with calacatta gold and white subway tiles) and would love to know what you decided to paint your walls and trim.

• Gloria Mulloy
    5 years ago

I'm doing simply white eggshell on my walls and Chantilly lace BM ADVANCE semi-gloss on my trim. I'm LOVING IT!!!

• Michelle Frain
    5 years ago

Upstairs I did Chantilly Lace (eggshell walls) with Chantilly Lace (semi gloss trim) and loved it - carried it down the stairs. My husband is looking for a little more contrast for the living room. The Simply White walls with Chantilly Lace trim - could be my answer. Here is the question and the struggle - the living room is dark and I am afraid Simply White might turn yellow. Thoughts? Thank you!

• arwlbw01
    3 years ago

Could you post pictures of your results?

• jksjkc
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I tried BM Simply White in our upcoming home that we're in the process of renovating and it was too yellow for my liking. I have black windows so BM Chantilly Lace in Matte on the walls, flat on the ceiling and Semi-Gloss on the trim ended up looking so beautiful. We are on the river so the blue water goes well with the neutral walls. I don't find it to be cold. If Chantilly Lace is too white for you, BM White Dove is a gorgeous alternative. I have it in my current home which is more traditional. No yellow tone like BM Simply White. During the day it is ethereal and clean and at night it is still cozy but I use warm light bulbs throughout my home.

• Maryam Rezayat
    3 years ago

jksjkc what did you choose for the cabinet colors?

• Jessica Weis
    3 years ago

Can anyone share photos of how it turned out?

• HU-160976853
    3 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of chantilly lace on the walls in eggshell and then chantilly lace on the trim in semi-gloss? Would love to see it!

• Mara Bell
    3 years ago

I so glad I found this chat. I am remodeling and having a hard time selecting colors. I already picked cabinets colors. Island midnight blue all the other cabinets ice sculpture. Our kitchen opens to family room and I am paining the walls chantilly lace including the cabinets where the tv system will be. I picked eggshell but not sure what to do with trims. Should I do same color semi- gloss ? I want to see o little contrast

• jatinahuja
    3 years ago

Just to clarify- you then do the matte/eggshell on the ceiling too correct? What about closet doors? Do you do the same color as the walls/ceiling with matte or can you get standard white?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

You could do matte but not eggshell on the ceiling.

It can depend.... but you're usually ok to do walls/ceiling in the same color of white. It's the simplest approach - test and make sure you like how it looks.

It's usually a cabinets/doors/trim bundle - they all get the same color and finish. If not all the same color, all the same product/finish.

• Jersey Gem
    2 years ago

I didn't see anyone ask about this specifically. I'm planning on doing Chantilly Lace in eggshell on my walls and flat on my ceilings. Can I go with Chantilly Lace in satin for the doors and trim? Will it create enough of a contrast? Not sure if I want to go as glossy as what I imagine a semi-gloss to be. Thanks!

• PRO
    2 years ago

I would definitely go with satin Chantilly Lace on the trim. Semi-gloss can be much shinier.

• Jersey Gem
    2 years ago

If I wanted another white for the ceiling and trim, what white would work with Chantilly Lace walls?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Why bother? It’s very difficult to match whites. The contrast is so minimal and the chance that the two whites will not work well together is so great that you will save yourself a lot of angst by using the same color throughout. The difference in sheen is enough to give a nice effect.

• betsydavis1129
    last year

We're using Chantilly Lace semi-gloss on the trim - and can't figure out what color to use on the walls! This is a very sunny, high-ceilinged room. We're thinking that we'd like a little contrast to the Chantilly Lace, but nothing too dark (tried Classic Gray, Shoreline...). Does anyone have a recommendation? Something in a greige that would provide very light contrast? Thanks!

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

@betsydavis1129, you can try a sample of SW Snowbound. I am looking for something similar! I have BM Chantilly Lace cabinets, trim and ceilings. It is a new build and my walls were painted BM Winds Breath, which are too yellow in my house. The WB looked great in my parents house, but not in mine! I bought a quart sample of the Snowbound color matched into BM Aura matte, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

• betsydavis1129
    last year

Thank you! I wonder if they are TOO similar - and won't provide any contrast at all? Keep those ideas coming! I often see beautiful, slight contrast walls with crisp trim in staged homes - what is that wall color?! :)

• chispa
    last year

There is enough contrast between Chantilly Lace trim and the Snowbound sample boards. Sure, if you have a very bright room it might wash out at certain times of day. They have a 9 point difference in LRV and the rule of thumb is a 10 point difference for wall and trim, so that is pretty close.

• L P
    last year

@betsydavis1129 My daughter wanted a greige throughout her main living spaces with no hint of yellow or green. Rooms vary considerably in lighting. She chose BM Balboa Mist after testing a lot of colors and it is gorgeous everywhere. This shows the Balboa Mist walls with SW Extra White trim:

• betsydavis1129
    last year

Thank you for your responses. We really don't want something that dark. We'd like some contrast - but not that much. Keep those ideas coming!

• L P
    last year

BM Silver Satin and BM Wickham Gray are both beautiful, light colors. Hope that helps!

• betsydavis1129
    last year

Great - will check them out! Thanks -

• betsydavis1129
    last year

How about cloud cover with chantilly lace? Has anyone tried that?

• stellarceline
    last year

I would recommend also Chantilly Lace, but in Satin. Chantilly Lace is already a crisp, bright white. And the go-to look nowadays for whites is trim and walls in same color; see https://studio-mcgee.com/the-best-white-paint-colors-for-every-home-2/

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

The rule of thumb that makes white on white color palettes work revolves around Chroma.

As long as there's a difference of about 0.20 (ish) in Chroma, neither color of white will make the other look dirty or dingy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

betsydavis- We'd like some contrast - but not that much. Keep those ideas coming!

You'll get more help if you start your own post with your own pictures of your room.

this is a 4 yr old post that is for another poster. (no one will see your questions unless they're getting notifications from earlier comments)

• Cindy Golden
    last year

BM Seapearl

• PRO
    Polis Remodeling
    last year

Color is always so much fun when it comes to remodeling! Chantilly Lace is a very bright white (High Hide) color. It's beautiful! I usually recommend that people reserve this color for baseboards and woodwork. However, if you love it for your walls, you could always decrease the sheen on the walls and increase the sheen for the woodwork. It will give the illusion of two different colors (both white) but still allow your woodwork to pop! Here is a blog post that is loaded with ideas that may help. Have Fun! 2023 Trending Ideas