Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
envirovixen

Powder room trash can - lidded or no?

6 years ago

Seems like all of the beautiful wastebaskets that match other bathroom accessories are the non-lidded type. Is it better to match your decor or have a utilitarian lidded can that keeps odors out and guest confident that their trash won’t be seen.

Utilitarian & Lidded
Stylish & Open

Comments (17)

• 6 years ago

I agonized about this because our powder room is tiny (30" wide) so not a lot of room for a trash can of any kind. There are more options in unlidded trash cans, but in the end, I decided for lidded because my daughter's teenage friends use the powder room off the kitchen the most. I keep supplies under the sink in case they're surprised, and a lid on the garbage can.

• 6 years ago

Definitely with a lid. I don’t want to see it’s contents. Here’s two I like...

• 6 years ago

I would prefer lidded; but have an open one which is emptied as soon as possible when anything gets put in it. No lid because: guests are using wet hands or worse to take the lid off. Guests can see what's inside when they remove the lid in any case.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a dog who thinks that bathroom trash can make for some tasty snacks...so lidded it is. Besides, I have chrome fixtures. A small chrome/stainless trash can with a pop up lid fits right in.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

LOL- I have the most industrial strength lidded cans in my bathrooms possible. They are also (turned around) so the pedal is against a cabinet and wall. Kitchen cans are built in, and have a child lock on them...now. Why?

I have a very, very observant and curious dog. My friend for life, but he's also very, very naughty, in all that curiosity. Can open anything. Sits, watches humans makes his move. He's 10, and has been through much "training". He is a Beagle from AKC show stock. Will do anything for a treat, but has his own mind...

Sometimes the way we really live vs design comes into conflict. I don't care, as long as he's blocked from it all. Should I sell, staged differently. For now, all is away from my naughty little friend.

• 6 years ago

I dislike seeing any trash can out in the open. Both my kitchen and bath have trash cans behind doors. If that is not possible, then I would say lidded.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I prefer waste containers with lids.

• 6 years ago
    I tend to do an open trash tucked under the sink inside the vanity. That way when I'm getting ready I can leave the vanity door open and throw stuff in, but I don't have to look at the trash can, lidded or not. The bathroom the guests use have an ugly utilitarian lidded trash but we also have a dog so lidless isn't an option.
  • 6 years ago

My trash cans are inside the cupboards in all bathrooms.

• 6 years ago
    Lidded. Two reasons: a) dog and b) waste is unsightly.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Lidded. Who wants to look at trash?

• PRO
    6 years ago

I prefer lidded if out in the open and will occasionally opt for a waste container without a lid if being placed inside the cabinet.

• 6 years ago

Lids please

• 6 years ago

this maybe TMI but i HAVE to have lid!

why...

my dog likes to eat feminine hygiene products that guests dispose of.. If she can get her snout in it.. she eats it.

• 6 years ago

Having lots of guests with babies means lidded it is. I don't expect you to carry your dirty diapers around with you (though personally I never left dirty diapers in the trash at a home I was visiting unless they too had kids in dipes) and the lid helps contain the stink.

I read a tip once that if you have an unlidded waste can in your guest bathroom, empty the garbage before your guests arrive but then drop a loosely crumpled paper towel or something back in. That way guests have the ability to hide trash that is of a more personal nature like used feminine products or diapers.

• 6 years ago

Personally I would not leave my personal stuff in someones garbage - I'd take it home and dispose of it there.