Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fowgy

How should I dress up front of house. It looks too plain and boring.

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need some advice on what to do at the front of this lake house we just purchased. I've removed an unattractive bench that was left there and the hose canister. The front door is to the left of the three windows. Trellis, wrought iron wall art? I'd love potted plants but won't be there all the time to water.

Comments (21)

• 5 years ago

It's hard to see the space from the picture you posted. Is there a small porch - if so, how wide is it? I think I'd group some nice seating there.

fowgy thanked Sammie J
  • 5 years ago

What is that detail on the large gable on the left side of the house? I would paint all the trim the color of the roof. Add some ever blooming roses where the ferns are. Add some colorful containers of annuals.

fowgy thanked houssaon
  • 5 years ago

It's just a weird house. No "wall art" for your exterior. Climbing roses may eventually add color and distract a bit from the roof. Add in flowering perennials (if there aren't already) to the island for a huge bird/butterfly sanctuary. I would paint that gable detail so it disappears. Keep it low maintenance and enjoy the location!

fowgy thanked greenfish1234
  • 5 years ago
    Following
  • 5 years ago

the detailing on the gable is meant to look like a barn door. You can enlarge the pic to see the area of concern. Its the three windows by the bench. That is what I need help with.

There are pavers running from the front door to the other side of the area. I like the idea of climbing perennials like hydrangea or climbing roses. I have removed all the things hanging on the wall. ANd the light next to door has been replaced.

• 5 years ago

That area is fine. The stone baseboard or whatever on either side of the door I could sure do without but beware the impulse to fill this area with brick-a-brack. A long parson's bench and potted flowers at most.

fowgy thanked greenfish1234
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I really like your home and I think it was probably a good 2nd home/vacation purchase. What hit me right away is the boring color of the home, especially with the very light gray color of the roof. Since I am not sure what part of the country this is or what your neighborhood is like, what if you were to add a splash of color to the home to make it stand out more? I would suggest something in the Blue family with a contrasting window trims, and then a totally opposite color for the front door. Not really sure what that thing is painted onto the 2nd floor around the window but get that off now....not needed at all. I know it will be a bit hard to not have lots of plants and flowers around the house but when you are gone for long periods of time they will die...and then you will have pots of dead plants when you come to vacation and that is not fun to look at UNLESS you would find it soothing to do planting when you come to vacation and give the pots all new colors! I would suggest a colorful bench of some sort underneath the windows by your front door and then some Adirondack Chairs in bright colors that you can take in when not there. Hope that this has helped but it really is a matter of brightening up the home and have some fun with it! It is a vacation!

fowgy thanked NIELSEN DYE DESIGN, INC.
  • 5 years ago

The "barn door" is a fail. Paint that out. I prefer the white trim on the openings left of the entry to the blue everywhere else. Do all your trim in white and find a dark color for the body of the house that works with the pale roof. Then add Adirondack chairs in white and plop colorful cushions on them when you arrive. Are you there full time or just for vacation/weekends? That will determine how to add landscaping. Search the box above under Photos for "dark house white trim" to see some inspirational homes.

fowgy thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I'm not crazy about the blue and white color scheme. I would select something that offers more contrast.

fowgy thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    I don’t have time right now to work up a mock ip, but i would draw the eye away from that peak down to porch and ground level by placing a huge bolder in that front bed along with some color and variegated plant material. I would also place several columns as supports for porch and direct eye and foot path to the front door. The side facing front door is odd too. Perhaps you could screen in porch and put door facing front to help create better entry definition. Some colorful plant materials would be great. I would paint blue trim on peak same color as siding. It is not attractive and distracts from the look of the house. Try those suggestions.
    fowgy thanked Flo Mangan
  • fowgy thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Here is block and tackle detail.
    fowgy thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago
    I like the suggestion of some Adirondack chairs. You could get a brightly colored garden stool to use in between chairs as a table and for a pop of color. A cozy seating area would look inviting. Congrats on your new home!
    fowgy thanked traditionalbetty
  • 5 years ago
    I meant to say rocking chairs, not Adirondack chairs. Wicker would look nice too.
    fowgy thanked traditionalbetty
  • 5 years ago

Wow. What great suggestions! Thank you for taking the time for these especially the mock up. The pillars totally change the look. It seems unanimous to change the paint color, trim and "barn door". We will be doing this eventually. The landscaping is underway. It will totally be re-done in the vein of the mock-up. Thanks, again!

• PRO
    5 years ago

some examples you may like to copy.

fowgy thanked Beth H. :
  • 5 years ago

Yes. Thanks!

• PRO
    5 years ago

When doing your landscaping, try to choose only native plants to the area. In this manner they will survive and thrive. Especially since you say you'll have little time for tending them. I used to love the colors annuals brought, but over the years learned to love what nature intended for where my home is located. Now I have LOTS less maintenance to worry about and the landscape in the yard flourishes on it's own. Best of luck to you and your new home.

fowgy thanked Interior Dimensions and Design, LLC
  • 5 years ago

Yes. That is the plan.

• 5 years ago
    How exciting to have a new vacation place! You certainly received many good ideas. The idea I wanted to add was that you could maybe put a wreath on the door. I would look for something that can handle the weather. One other suggestion is to find a front door mat that is more natural and has more texture. It could coordinate with a wreath. Those two things really helped me improve the front entry to our new house.
    fowgy thanked rrusa2012