Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nl7198

Way of germinating my Adenium seeds from Mr Ko

5 years ago

Hi everyone, I would like to share my way of germinating Adenium seeds. This way I get very high success germination rates. Remember, they need warmth and light. Better done in spring summer.

I soak the seeds in a foam cup for 4-5 days, changing water everyday, when I see the little tail root showing, i plant them in the little mini greenhouse and not water as they grow with the greenhouse moisture. If you leave the seeds in the water too many days, the brown shell will start to peel off, if this happens, will be very hard to plant as the seedling becomes slippery, also could get damage to the head of the seedling if touching the top part. This way, I found they get more help and chance sprouting.

Comments (9)

• 5 years ago

Thats a different way if works great are we the only Aussies on here

Agartta thanked Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
  • 5 years ago

Peter - looks like we the only Aussies here. I wonder how Rachel's adeniums are doing. Have you got any more blooms. Any more pictures? My grafted plants show some signs of buds. My seddlings are growing nicely. Over 1 years old, no buds yet.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Agartta, your sprouts look great, thank you for sharing! I’ll try this method on my next ones! I’ve been wondering actually how’s our Aussies adeniums doing? Pls post pictures of your awakening plants and whats new overall, you are the only ppl that will keep our forum going over the winter. I remember I almost fainted when I saw how short one of you cut your plants, but I’m sure they’re leafing up wondefully now. :) Most of my adeniums look miserable inside, I can’t win the battle with white flies and about 10 plants kick the bucket already. Bigger plants doing better, but yearlings and younger having a hard time.... drying out if you don’t water them and rotting when you do, ugh. Anyways, looking forward to see your spring dear friends!

Agartta thanked Elena
  • 5 years ago

I'm new to this game, and so far have not had very good success with germination rates. Just ordered some new ones from Mr. Ko, and will try this method on part of them to see if I can get improvement. How moist do you make the mix you plant them into in the greenhouse?

Agartta thanked geoforce
  • 5 years ago

Elena - nice to hear from you. Yes I think I was the one cutting all my plants down due to red mites infestation. So far, the plants have recovered well with new healthy growth, some signs of new blooms coming up and no signs of mites. Due to the hard pruning back, they took a while to grow new leaves but now its all good, they all look great. Will post pics soon. The youngsters i have are doing great, this morning I spoted the one and only bloom coming up on one of the 1 year old seedling. Can't wait to see the colour.

After growing Adenium for close to 2 years, this method of sprouting gives me a germinating rate almost 100% unles the seed is not good.

Geoforce - the mix you plant the sprouted seed into, must me moist, and well watered. Once you plant the seeds, cover with plastic lid or plastic wrap, make small holes on top of plastic for aeration and dont water again until seeds established and signs of dryines on potting mix. Only then, I use a mist from spray bottle to moist the soil again. Good luck!

• 5 years ago

Agartta I'm not putting any seeds down until i determine what my yearnings are i have new blooms i am happy with .i will start a new show and tell thread soon or u can yea havent seen Rachael or sue on here for a long time congratulations to Houzz for stuffing people aroud. Ps i still have about 50 common old garden variety pink i have given about 10 away all up i still have between 400 & 500 plants.

Agartta thanked Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
  • 5 years ago

What ever works for you is the best method. To involved for me. I just put the seed in a pot with soil and water. Then I dont have to transplant for several years. I start them in fairly good size pots. I seems to make a difference for me. Allowing the root to fully grow at its own pace undisturbed seems to make a stronger plant from what I have witnessed over the last 28 years of growing and germing. This one is 7 years old in its second container. As you can see it desperately needs a new one. Started it in a one gallon container. If you keep the soil moist and have fresh seed you should be good.

Agartta thanked abrahamx
  • 3 years ago

hola, soy nueva. Saludos a todos