Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threebyfivebt

family room decor dilemma, need ideas

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello wonderful Houzz community! I need some serious decorating help with this room. Any ideas on wall decor ( I need to hang more artwork or other wall decor above book case and maybe mantle), area rugs (I need a larger one) and wall color, and new ceiling fan or other lighting. I also plan on distributing the books more evenly (they are custom built and we had the left one before the right one) so shelf decor ideas would also help! The chairs and couch have to stay. Additional seating ideas would be helpful!!! Thank you all so much!

Comments (20)

• 5 years ago

Quick questiosn - what does the other side of the room look like? Are you open to rearranging the furniture?

• 5 years ago

Here is the rest of the room. Yes I am willing to move furniture

• 5 years ago

I love the way your rug ties the couch and chair colors into the rest of the room. You might be able to make the rug work by rearranging the furniture. I would try moving the couch to face the fireplace (turn the rug 1/4 to run the long side along the fireplace) and then have the chairs on each side of the fireplace angeling toward the center of the couch. This arrangement will also give you better flow into the dinning area. I would elminate the desk that is not being used and put a pretty console table there, since that is the first thing people see as they come in the front door.

threebyfivebt thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • 5 years ago

Re: the paint ... pick the lightest color in the brickwork that coordinates with your carpet.

Here's what I'd try with the furnishings: Move the two bookcases along the wall where the darker desk is (move the desk/chair into another room). Float the sofa facing the fireplace, and place a chair on either side of the fireplace, facing the sofa. Add a coffee table, and place the round side table on one side of the sofa. OR....

Move the two bookcases along the wall where the darker desk is (move the desk/chair into another room). Place the sofa where the chairs are now, with a sofa table behind. Float the sofa facing the fireplace, and place a chair on either side of the fireplace, facing the sofa. Add a coffee table, and place the round side table on one side of the sofa.

Repost your findings ... once the furniture is in place, you can figure out the rug and artwork. Move the chairs to either side of the dining room opening, facing the sofa.

threebyfivebt thanked Sammie J
  • 5 years ago

Agree with Jamie's suggestions, plus mirror over fireplace.

threebyfivebt thanked Hansen
  • 5 years ago

There are also square and round end tables that match the console.

http://www.kirklands.com/product/Prescott-Square-End-Table/216058.uts

threebyfivebt thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • 5 years ago

Do you love the three pieces of art that are currently visible? What are your favorite items in the room? And your favorite colors in the room?

• 5 years ago

I would love the art work much more if I had them all framed, but am open to doing something completely different. The book cases were made by my mom and uncle from an old cherry tree in the front yard of the home I grew up in. They are making us a coffee table from the same cherry wood soon. :) So yeah, those pieces are special. I like the orange of the couch. If there was a way to bring in some blue, that would be amazing.

• 5 years ago

I suggest you find some artwork you love nearly as much as the custom cherrywood bookcases. It doesn't have to be found all at once, this search can take a year or so. Framing doesn't make okay art into great art, but it is worth spending money framing art you already love. Here's a random red orange fox and a random red abstract. Choose something you love, maybe with a little orange and blue in it.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Here are some ideas for rugs, artwork, lighting, and shelf decor. Take a look below at our design:

Leeward Renovation - Bedroom · More Info

Leeward Renovation · More Info

• 5 years ago

I would not add blue to this room. The orange looks great, and suits the woodwork very well. The wall looks, to me, like it has some olive green tones in it. Green is the complementary color to orange, so that's why the walls and sofa look good, and go well with the rug which has both those colors. Blue would be jarring.

The rug is a bit too small since the furniture does not touch it. I would face the sofa towards the fireplace with the rug in front of the sofa, with the sofa feet touching the rug. The gold chairs could go on either side of the sofa in a C shape, or remain side by side in an L shape conversation area.

I'd put the orange pillows back on the sofa, and get new pillows for the gold chairs, in a solid green color taken from the rug. Consider a similar color for the drapes.

I wouldn't put art over the fireplace, and definitely not a mirror since it wouldn't reflect anything interesting. Stick with sculptural items, maybe a bit bigger than the items you have now. Hang a piece of art work over each of those lovely bookshelves, a little lower than you currently have the one painting. Or even prop it on top. But don't put other things (vase, clock) on top of them. Too fussy and distracts from the woodwork.

2 desks is one too many in the room. Keep a desk on the wall where the guitar is, and leave the other wall free of furniture, as a walkway.

Your white front door is a bit too bright, and doesn't look good with your woodwork. Paint it a green color, not too pale, that looks good with your pillows, rug and wall.

• 5 years ago

Consider a larger mantle. Yours is thin compared to the scale of the fireplace. Google how to make a slipcover wood mantle that fits right over the existing mantle and brick brackets. Maybe more of that cherry wood?

• 5 years ago

partim thank you!!!! Fantastic ideas and advice, very much appreciated!

• PRO
    5 years ago

The green cast on the wall is not working with your brick fireplace. Select a more neutral paint color.

• 5 years ago

I do agree with partim at all, even at "2 desks is one too many in the room. Keep a desk on the wall where the guitar is, and leave the other wall free of furniture, as a walkway". But, leave the old desk and old chair with green pillow. The melamine desk and black office chair don't belong to this room...

• 5 years ago

Following.

• 5 years ago

Actually, partim, blue is the complement to orange, not green. Green is the complement to red, though that sofa is almost red so green can work.

That said, I might eliminate the rug entirely since you already have a very nice looking carpet. I think you current artwork and sculpture on mantel work very well. I'd start by restyling the book shelves and updating the fan.

threebyfivebt thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

New fan and coffee table, with and without a rug:

threebyfivebt thanked groveraxle