Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyler_daigler

Interior Palms dying

5 years ago

Hi everyone! All I’ve ever wanted is for my palms to be healthy and grow well. This one kind of was but now just looks like trash. I know nothing about this plant, what it’s called or how to care for it. I’m hoping someone here can help me make my plants shine! I love them

so much! I’d appreciate any and all advice!

Comments (8)

• 5 years ago

The first pic looks like what we call a corn plant, not a palm. They're usually pretty easy to grow and keep healthy if you have the right conditions.

They like lots of light, will even take direct sunlight for a few hours a day. They don't especially like dry heat without some moisture/humidity.

Palms generally are pretty easy also but again adequate light, moisture and humidity.

Too little light is generally a problem in many homes unless you have large windows

or glass doors.

• 5 years ago

I just looked again and your corn plant looks rootbound and could use a bigger

pot with fresh soil. Sometimes they outgrow their pot and have mostly roots

and very little soil. I'd re-pot, move closer to good sunlight, keep moderately

watered and once settled in after several weeks fertilize w/ a good plant food.

Doesn't hurt to spray/mist leaves w/ water once or twice a week if in a heated room.

When the weather warms up (no frost) put it in a sheltered outdoor location

for a healthy vacation. It should perk up.

Tyler Daigler thanked mr1010
  • 5 years ago

Thank you! So I had just moved into the new pot because it had outgrown the last, hence the rootbound. Tonight I filled in the gap with an interior potting soil with fertilizer. Currently the plant takes indirect light due to windows and glass doors. I could theoretically move it next to the window for more light while I’m at work. We live in Southern California so I could leave it outside, but we got it for the interior to bring the outside in if you will, as we are covered in palms here. i appreciate your advice and help! Any ideas on the 2nd palm?

• 5 years ago
    From my experience with palms, brown means too little moisture/drying out and yellow means too much water/other problems. Palms can be very picky about light and humidity. Most want bright light, but not full sun, consistent humidity and moist soil but never soggy, or dry.

If you choose to move your palm outside place it in partial, or full shade to start as it won't be very happy about being baked. The sunlight inside is much weaker than the sun it will receive outside.

when you repotted did you loosen the root ball, or did you just place it into the larger pot?
  • 5 years ago

I just placed it into a larger pot. Probably the wrong thing to do. I’m a serious noob! It would appear that on one palm I have brown at tips, other palm I have yellowing of leaves followed by death!

• 5 years ago
    loosening the root ball helps the plant get comfy in it's new home. Leaving the roots compacted means the plant will continue to act as if it is root bound until the roots grow out.

If you just replanted give the plant a few days to adjust and show signs of improvement. One thing at a time, if you try everything at once you won't know which thing is working.
  • 5 years ago

The first one is a yucca elephantipes. Which they are both in need of more light. How often are you watering? If you are in Southern California I would take it outside asap. These are not meant to be house plants there.