Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forestrose19

Review of Pottery Barn Cline dining chairs - comfortable, durable?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Anyone have Cline chairs from Pottery Barn? I'd love to know what you think of them. I'm hoping to order 4 of them in the charcoal color: https://www.potterybarn.com/products/cline-dining-chair/?pkey=s|cline%20chairs|2 My husband is skeptical that they will be comfortable.

Overall idea is to do 4 Cline chairs in charcoal with the Bartol dining table and matching bench in cinder gray: https://www.potterybarn.com/products/bartol-reclaimed-pine-dining-table/?cm_src=AutoRel If anyone has thoughts on this design choice I'd welcome all feedback. :)

Comments (34)

• PRO
    5 years ago

I hate benches at DR tables they are horrible to get in and out of and IMO if a chair needs an added cushion you need a new chair

• 5 years ago

I agree with Patricia. No adult wants to sit at a bench. How many were you planning on seating? With the length between legs only 41", you'll only fit one person comfortably on each side regardless of what the picture shows.

• 5 years ago

I’ve sat in them. They aren’t comfortable unless your goal is to encourage people to eat quickly. I longed for comfortable seating and getting through the meal was an endurance test for me and my family. I don’t mean to insult, the chairs look nice, just sharing my personal experience.

• 5 years ago

No bench. I would only order chairs for everyday use that you are able to sit in and try out first for comfort and quality.

I have 3 pottery barn counter stools from 10 years ago that were made in Italy, great quality, heavy and durable, but the color didn't work when we moved to a new home. I ordered new ones from Pottery Barn that seemed similar to the ones I had in the finish that I wanted. They were made in a third world country, were very lightweight, and seemed cheap. I ended up returning them and painting my old ones. I won't order anything from them again without seeing it first in person.

• 5 years ago

Hi there

i have the Cline chairs in Seadrift , they are a great bistro chair for a smaller table or space... keep in mind that the weight limit for those sitting in them is 275 pounds, and if they’re going to be used in the kitchen and daily you may want to put a cushion on them that fits the chair, Pottery Barn has lots of options or if you’re savvy you can create your own . When they arrive they do require that you put them together, and it is Key to have someone who is Handy do this to ensure stability . I agree with other peoples comments about the bench unless it is going to be the side small kids are using .

Perhaps consider getting four chairs and doing a different type of chair as an end a chair. Some Pottery Barn stores in your area may have these chairs in stock even if in another color so you can try them out, and the design consultants consultants in the store are a free service and they can help you with other options or see a picture of your space and help you create the best luck. I hope this helps !

• 5 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!

• 4 years ago

I just ordered 4 of these myself, so hoping they aren’t too uncomfortable!

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just wanted to share my experience in case others are interested in these items and searching around like I was---I absolutely love the Cline chairs in charcoal. I found them to be perfectly comfortable. They are very heavy and solid and feel high quality. I love the slight modern twist on the farmhouse style. Still very classic looking, but updated. They were easy to assemble by myself. The color is almost like a very dark gray stain that allows the feel of the wood grain to come through. It's more matte than a shiny black paint finish would be. I realize not everyone will agree with me, but I actually really like the look of a tied-on cushion with a wooden farmhouse style chair. And the cushions from my old Windsor chairs (roughly 14" rounded) fit great on the Cline chairs.

I also ended up ordered the Bartol table and bench but was much less satisfied. I do have several friends here locally that very much enjoy their benches, so I decided to continue with my plan to get a bench. The finish color of the bench and table really didn't match at all, even though they are supposed to be a coordinating set in the same color. There was also a big orange splotch on the tabletop.

It's possible that it was a one-time defect, but I wasn't impressed and am sending the table and bench back. Fortunately customer service 100% agreed with me on the issue so they're making it easy so far. Going to keep the chairs and find another table/bench set. May end up having a local "farmhouse table" carpenter make them for me.

• 4 years ago

I have six of them and ordered the cushions. I like the look and don't think they are uncomfortable, but was disappointed that I had to assemble them and they were delivered with a $44 dump run of styrofoam and cardboard. :- (

• 4 years ago

Does everyone still like their Cline kitchen chairs? I'm about to order 6 for our small kitchen area. They will get daily use by 2 adults and 3 boys. Thanks!

• 4 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/products/teresa-dining-chair-set-of-2-prvw-vr~139152799?lid=102593619

Well I found identical chairs here on Houzz for half the price!! I’m ordering these instead.

• 4 years ago

Wishing i could find these in another (cheaper) brand for counter stools!

• 4 years ago

aCn you post a few pics of theses chairs?? Was about to order the Pottery Barn ones but they wont ship til MARCH!!!! Hoping to have chairs for our new table before we host Xmas Eve. Are these chairs super shiny black or more of a matte or satin finish? Thanks!

• 4 years ago

• 4 years ago

Are these the PB chairs or the houzz ones mentioned above?! How do you like them? is it more of a flat paint or glossy sheen?

• 4 years ago

Eileen‘s looks like the PB chairs. Mine are the Houzz ones. I would say they are matte black finish and not a black wood stain like PB ones. Both are made of solid rubberwood and have the same measurements. I wouldn‘t mind paying more for solid oak or mahogany but since they are made with the same wood I didn’t see why I should pay double at PB. I’m going to get cushions to make them more comfy.

• 4 years ago

Awesome!!! I may order today!! Did they arrive quickly?

• 4 years ago

Kristi, They did arrive quickly and very well packaged. You will have to put them together. I'm 5'4" and 125 lbs and they are fine for me and my husband who is 6'4" and 200 lbs said "they are fine." We have a limited budget and needed 6 small chairs to fit our tiny kitchen area. (Plus my kids destroy everything so didn't want to spend $$.) I think they will be ok for quick everyday meals. We plan on spending more on larger more comfortable chairs for the dining room that we can use for longer meals.

• 4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Yea we have a 2 year old.... so I need reasonable quality but nothing super high end or with fabric etc. haha! I’m planning to pair these with our dining table that we just got on sale from pier one. I wanted a contrasting chair (ignore the mess!! We just moved in a month ago and are still trying to get things organized
  • 4 years ago

• 4 years ago

You should look on Wayfair, I was debating a couple dining room items from Pottery Barn and ended up ordering nearly identitcal from Wayfair. I also did two chairs on each side then more decorative comfy chairs on the ends so kids dont ruin them! I love the bench idea since i do think young kids get excited about that if it works in your space.

• 4 years ago

I have the white Cline chairs from PB and I have to say they're not my favorite. They're comfy enough but they look weird to me without cushions on them, because of the dip for the butt? Odd to me. I also don't like the top part being separate from the rest of the chair - personally think they look weird with that in person. But they're definitely sturdy and didn't break the bank!

• 4 years ago

Anyone with these chairs find cushions that fit really well (other than from PB)?

• 4 years ago

Try Pier One Imports.

• 4 years ago

Can anyone who has the Cline tell me the seat height?

• 3 years ago

Hi! can anyone who has the Cline chairs let me know how theyre holding up? I went into a Pottery Barn to test them out and the sales associate told me not to get it apparently because the legs need to be tightened very often and its a nuisance. Apparently the chairs can "fall apart" very easily. Anyone experienced this with the chairs?

• 3 years ago

Yes wondering how they hold up, and Erika672 wondering how your Houzz alternatives have been?

• 2 years ago

I have 6 Cline chairs for about a year and 4 of the 6 are broke. We have no one over 200lbs, so weight was not an issue. OVerall, they just seem flimsy. Pottery barn has said they will do nothing becuase it has been a year, so they lost a customer forever.

• 2 years ago

I have had the Cline dining chairs in Charcoal for about 2 weeks, I love the look of them but herein lies the danger of ordering online not having been able to see them/check them out in person beforehand - they are not very comfortable at all I am contemplating returning them. Frustrated because I ordered them and they took 3 months to get here and now I need to find another option. Oddly enough I like the 3 Cline counter height stools I ordered at the same time and will definitely be keeping those. The dining chairs are 1/2" narrower and when I scoot back all the way the verticals of the backrest crowd my bum. I'm 5'-7" 150 lb. but if I don't rest my back on the backrest then my lower lumbar gets super irritated. I have bulging disc issues so if I don't have proper lumbar support I am in pain. :(

• last year
    last modified: last year

I recently purchased 6 of the white Cline dining chairs. I find they are not nearly as rustic/textured as the charcoal ones I saw in the store. I actually like that they are more smooth, but I also noticed that every chair I got seem to have some imperfections. For example, sometimes a bit of the paint (usually on the back top corner) is a bit lumpy, like they were trying to patch up a spot and didn't/weren't able to sand it smooth. For those of you who had purchase this chair (in any color), can you tell me your experience with the finishing of these chairs? Are they more or less like this? Thank you.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Hi I also got 6 white Cline chairs, and about to put one together to decide if we will keep. i was turned off by the gaps on the top. Maybe the white emphasizes that, as I never noticed when ordering on line. Any thoughts about this?

• last year

The white does emphasize the gap more, I didn’t notice the gap so much on the black ones at the store. So if that’s your concern you might want to go with a darker color.

• 18 days ago

The paint peels and they become loose very often requiring frequent tightening. I wouldn’t purchase them again but I’ll keep using them until they give out.