Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bd48128

Hancock and Moore vs Anthropoligiee

4 years ago

I’m looking for a new sofa. I’m going with a mid modern /safari themed room. I found a leather sofa i love at Anthropologie for about 3200 But for about the same price I can get Hancock and Moore. I know H&B is known for its quality. But I don’t like the style quite as much as the Anthropologie. I can’t make up my mind. Quality vs style.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hancock & Moore better quality. They have several transitional styles and you pick the leather you want. That would be my choice. But can you find out where the Anthropologie sofa is made?

• 4 years ago

Anthropologie one is very stylish. 😍 I would choose that one, but quality is important as well. I Would just suggest reading the reviews to see what others said about it Before making your decision.

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Get the Hancock and Moore. Or look into another manufacturer. The Anthropologie one states its construction so its pretty clear you're getting nothing of quality.

"Seat & Back

Flexolator and sinuous spring construction

Frame

Kiln-dried, laminated hardwood frame"

That said I have heard it rumored that Vanguard makes some of Anthropologies furniture. They certainly have Sofas that look like this.

Then again so does Lee Industries.

• PRO
    4 years ago

That's not even close. Anthropologie makes some of the junkiest, over-priced furniture I have ever come across for prices charged. Last time my wife took me in one of their stores I was aghast at the poor build quality and tailoring / workmanship. I left the store telling her all the way home "I can't believe anyone buys their upholstery, there are so many better choices, their sofas will be in the landfill in less than ten years"

Do yourself a favor and look at how they are both built in person, the details of how its sewn, foamed and play in the arms, the tailoring, rigidity of frame, resilience and responsiveness of cushions. A Hancock and Moore will last 4x longer than that plywood sofa on flexolator springs.

Disclaimer: I am one of Hancock and Moore's largest dealers and strongly believe in their quality of product.

Duane Collie

• PRO
    4 years ago

IMO if you are buying leather get Italian made with no springs but a webbing support system look at Natuzzi for something good quality and in a style you love. I ahve owned Italian made leather furniture almost my whole married life so 50+ yrs and friends have gone through many US made sofas in the same time frame.

• 4 years ago

There is a company out of Hickory North Carolina called American Classics Leather who seems to have a superior product. From my experience, they are top of the line. True 8-way hand tie seating, and leather straight from Italy. I would check them out. www.americanclassicsleather.com

• 4 years ago

This is always the question...style or quality...there are so many factors....lifestyle matters a lot....if you are retired and spend a lot of time on the couch in front of the tv...obviously quality and comfort...if you are active socially ...work ...entertain a lot...and style conscious...affluent...then you may not need a couch that will last forever...the one functional factor that comes into play for me is that a single cushion is preferable ..a big long couch with 2 cushions really only seats two comfortably...

• PRO
    4 years ago

If you want it to last and quality construction buy the H & M. If you like changing your room often then go for the look of the other. There are many America made brands that offer both well-made construction and a great look!

• 4 years ago

I have a H & M leather/fabric combo sofa and it is the most comfortable sofa I've ever owned and it looks as good as when I purchased it 13 yrs ago. I would have no issue purchasing a H & M again.