Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koji1766

Bring our kitchen OUT of the 70's!

last year

Two years ago, I got great advice from someone on Houzz who said not to make immediate changes on a house until you've lived in it. Well, it's time. Our kitchen needs to be more functional, have more food storage, and have seating for our family of 5.

I think I've come up with a decent layout and wanted to know opinions/suggestions on how to make it better.

We can do without a dining table and replace it with a counter height island to hopefully have more storage. The island in our picture is 5' 3 x 3' and our current dining table is 5'11 x 3'. It fits our family of 5 comfortably.

Our snack/breakfast food storage now is on the counter of the microwave shelf on the far wall. Our storage for oils/sauces, dry ingredients, and canned goods is the small pantry on the right. I have a storage closet on the opposite wall of the small pantry and am thinking of using that as our pantry for the new kitchen.

We'd like to drywall, I'm also replacing all our windows (currently have jalousies). Does anyone know if you're supposed to do windows or drywall first?

The perspective of the dining room/kitchen you have in the picture below is the view from our livingroom.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    last year

Open concept is the way to go! Removing the middle wall and adding a kitchen island will help with modernizing your kitchen. I would avoid putting a whole set of kitchen chairs/stools all around and try to keep them to a single side, preferably away and facing the wall with the stove to create a cleaner, decluttered appearance.

• last year

Why do you have the low counter on the fridge wall? I think you might do better to use a narrower bank of tall cabinets there, so that you have the space to turn your island. Right now, as drawn, you will hate trying to work in the tiny space behind those two chairs on the sink side, and there's no way to use the island as prep because of the large chairs with no overhang. (You know you'll need taller chairs for counter-height seating, too, right?) You might even want to consider a penisula on that wall, with a deeper counter on the outside side.

• last year

Also, do you know anything about the current dividing wall? The near end in your photo looks like it could be hiding a structural beam, some amount of wiring or plumbing, or any number of other surprises. I'd recommend consulting some professionals before you're committed...

• last year

Yes, thank you acm, I am aware that we'd need counter height seating, I just didn't know how to change the chair type in the app I used nor was I able to modify the island to create an overhang. In reality they'd be different. There's some electric and plumbing in that wall but it's all easily accessible because our workhop is right below where all that is accessible. I liked the thoughr of having a long stretch of counter that we can use as a buffet when guests come over to spead out all the food. That is a good idea too, to consider doing away with that to turn the island. Thank you

• last year

You’ll stretch your dollars, your workspace and your storage area much further if you forego the whole family seated in the kitchen plan, and just take those few extra steps into the dining room to seat the whole family. If you can do a floorplan to include the dining room, you will get some really great suggestions. Some island seating is fine, but if the whole family is going to sit down together, it will be just a bit more special to be in the dining room, even if kept casual.

• last year

I sure wish we had a separate dining room but many of these older homes in Hawaii weren’t designed with them. So unfortunately this is all the space we have for kitchen/dining.

• last year

Oh sugar! I read “perspective from the living room” as “perspective from the dining room.” 😆😆😆 so that is your only kitchen and dining space.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Stamford Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Expansion · More Info

LA LA LAND · More Info

Coastal Contemporary · More Info