Shop Products
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

January: Is anything blooming in your garden now? Spring plans, etc?

What is blooming in your garden? Any projects or certain plants, you are planning to get this spring? Have you started any flower ir veggie seeds yet?
I am in a zone 8b now and with these crazy freezes this past month, not much is blooming here now. I have a pink banana that has a flower and a few "fruits", some Coral salvia, a flowering sweet almond and a few citrus that I protected and they are all flowing. My Meyer Lemon & Persian Lime (both potted) each have a little fruit started.
A lot of unprotected stuff got bit by frost like many roses and even the gardenia bush by our back deck.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Dan, I love how you put holes in the sides. I do that with plastic hanging pots. I don't want to see pot, just plants. What are the bare root plants?

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • DunedinDan
    last year

Tiffany, sorry i did not make it clear! they are strawberries. I have a few terra cotta 10 hole strawberry pots but the holes are too big so wanted to try this.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked DunedinDan
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Excellent! I have a strawberry pot, but it's home to some succulents, mostly 'Francesco Baldi'

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

Tony, that is interesting about the milkweed. I have been trying to learn more about herbalism and natural medicine lately.

We have a bunch of Elderberry plants here.

Dan, I like that tall strawberry pot. That is a really good idea. I really should grow strawberries. I was thinking of getting some different sized kiddie pools and cutting holes in the bottoms and stacking them, kinda like a wedding cake lol. Which varieties do well in Florida?

Tiffany, that's a nice looking plant. Do you ever have trouble growing succulents with all the rain and humidity we get in FL? I was growing some under the eaves of our old patio where the sun kinda slanted diwn on them but the rain was kept off of them for the most part.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Jasmine, Thank you! : ) Some of them don't like it, most of the Echeverias I've brought home didn't live to the end of summer. Too hot @ night, I'm led to believe. But so many others really enjoy it. Not all of them are desert plants. I think people probably generalize about them too much.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Mine don't.

I do have an annual blue mistflower that's beginning to bloom now and butterflies love that...

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • DunedinDan
    last year

Our turk’s cap doesnt get much butterfly traffic. Not sure why but Giant swallowtails sometimes rest on the leaves. We do get Baltimore orioles this time of year. Looks like they eat the flowers. Squirrels also eat the flowers. And the occasional hummingbird. stops by.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year
    last modified: last year

>"blue mistflower that's beginning to bloom" ___ In January, that's great. I will try to get some. Before this starting, when had they stopped?

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked four (9B near 9A)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

They seem to prefer cooler weather, and die out when it gets really hot.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

So, they quit late last spring?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

I honestly don't recall - maybe by the end of June...?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Narcissus got zapped by deep freeze a few weeks ago, but some new blooms have formed since then.

last year

Carol I like the Blue Mistflowers. Not a ton of blue flowers out there. I didnt know the butterflies liked them too! I need to add them to my list of things to plant!

Tiffany, I am glad your Narcissus is returning. Do you know what variety it is? Is it fragrant?

last year
    last modified: last year

Here are a few of my succulents/cacti etc. I am digging through my photos to find them all lol..

Monkey Cactus..

Selenicereus ..Queen of Night

A couple of variegated succulents

Epiphyllum

I will post more as I find them lol

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year
    last modified: last year

I can give you some small Amistads now.

last year

Thank you, that is so sweet but I will be able to get some locally as many of the nurseries carry it here and you wont have to ship it lol.

It has been raining off and on for days here!

I was woke up by booming thunder shaking the house at 5am and I could hear the windchimes on the porch clinking & clanging like crazy so it must have been quite windy too! It has been absolutely pouring ever since. The goats are all hiding in the barns. They are just like cats in that they hate getting wet lol.

Is everyone else having crazy weather this weekend?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Jasmine, they are scented. I don't know what kind they are, whatever kind grows wild around here. Those were moved from an empty lot next door so they would get to bloom.

last year

I've been trying to post some more photos but they don't seem to be loading with the storm. Our rural internet is kinda sketchy anyways, add storms and its horrid lol.

• whgille
    last year

This plant was given to me by Mark , it belong to his late father. It went through hurricanes, cold weather and is still alive.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked whgille
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

What a remarkable Rhipsalis!

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Although not blooming, I post it because today I noticed that it is growing quite big. Some kinda Tillandsia, could be T. streptophylla.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

@SusieQsie_Fla , please tell us whether any of your firespike flowers survived.

last year

Sylvia, what a gorgeous and full lucious specimen that is! Does it ever flower?

Four, is your tillandsia mounted in a tree and di you have to protect it in the winter? It looks real healthy.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

It was on a 4' long branch that I leaned upright against the trunk-branch crotch of the thin tree that is visible in the photo. The protection owes to the forest-like microenvironment in that spot.

At the periphery of that narrow strip of ferns and young oaks, a large pot of tender Brugmansia cuttings was fully protected too, even though it is practically in the open. (It occurs to me that although my compost does not become warm, assistance nonetheless may have been provided by non-growing vegetation consisting of a pot of leaves and a large pile of leafless stems and thin branches.)

• dirtygardener
    last year

Nothing blooming, but plenty of buds coming out. Spring plans are to completely redo all the garden beds, take things out, rearrange, put them back or move them. I'm creating a long bromeliad bed along the privacy fence in front of the apartment. I already have a few there, but a friend gave me more, so they'll go in there in the spring. Going to take everything out of the courtyard, pressure clean the porch, patio and walls, and maybe paint the inside walls white to reflect more sun. They're grey now, and starting to peel after 7 years of abuse by me and the plants. LOL It's a rental, but they let me do pretty much what I want with it.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked dirtygardener
  • JoanM
    last year

I took a few pictures yesterday when I saw this thread. There are still some flowers in Palm City. I shared the Yes, today, tomorrow and ixora in another thread but I have a few more.

My day bloomers in the Koi pond.

Pretty yellow flowers reaching for the sun.

The shrimp plant is totally shot from the cold but from a distance I still see color. Also, check out the size of this thing!

It is huge!

The orchid that never stops coming back.

My front deck is very sunny.

The Jasmine has baby white flowers all year.

And lastly, not blooming but check out the size of this Staghorn! Based on photo albums of this property we believe that someone stuck a Staghorn on this oak tree around 1980ish.

Crazy pretty.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked JoanM
  • JoanM
    last year

Do patio plants count?

I am a sucker for purple plants.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

>"The Jasmine has baby white flowers all year." ___ Do you often see butterfiles drinking from them?

• dirtygardener
    last year

Everyone's pictures are so pretty! I have a few things coming into bloom now, so I'll post pics soon.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year
    last modified: last year

This morning two photos

Salvia coccinea

Passionflower Lady Margaret

• JoanM
    last year

I see a lot of butterflies, and tons of critters. I live on 2 acres in the woods and try not to use poison so they are everywhere. I have an abundance of bunnies and squirrels but the squirrels can’t even eat all of these pinecones. This yard is a learning experience for sure.

last year

Joan I love your Waterliles. Do you know what variety they are? I grow some waterlies and lotus in water tubs. I used to have a pond at our old house plus some patio ponds. Our new place has a cypress swamp (I call it lol) and then two other ponds but I wont be keeping koi out there, lord only knows what's out there lol. We are putting a small pond for koi or goldfish in closer to the house. We have it partially dug already.

Wow you guys really have a lot blooming, jasmine, passion flowers, African Violets!

DG, you are gonna have your hands full this spring! I bet it will be nice whens its all finished. The bromeliad bed sounds lovely too.

I have a lot of projects to do here. Most have nothing to do with gardening because we bought a fixer upper on a lot of property- kind of a trade off to get the amt of land we wanted. So we are re-doing and fixing a lot of house stuff. I would rather spend time and energy in the garden instead. I get tired of it and disgusted and so just go out and play with my goats haha.

I went to Lowes garden center yesterday and they had some pretty pink tropical hibiscus out. I couldn't resist getting one!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have a red version of that ground orchid and it's blooming now too. Seems to thrive on neglect 🙂

I think I have the same type of jasmine and tho it has the best fragrance, IMO, butterflies seem to ignore it.

They do like firebush, tho.

• JoanM
    last year

We bought this house in 2019 and the pond had a day blooming lily in lavender and a night bloomer in hot pink that is stunning. I have no idea what varieities they are but the hot pink(magenta really) flowers close around 8 am and the lavender open at that time. The hot pink doesn’t bloom as much in winter. I thought I lost it completely last year but it came right back in the spring.

Make sure you build rock caves big enough for very large koi. The birds randomly find the pond and they need to be able to hide for long periods from predators.

The leaves are a little darker on this night bloomer. If you find this one, get it for sure.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

>"jasmine... butterflies seem to ignore it." ___ Thank you, Carol.

>"They do like firebush" ___ Why the mention of it? I can't imagine that yours is blooming now.

last year

I do have a hot pink night bloomer. I cant recall the name if it..it might be Red Cup ir something similar. It is a tough lily. I also have King of Siam & Miami Rose. I had a few more but they havent bloomed since the move so I am not sure if they made it.

I was thinking of putting the deepest part of the pond 5 ft so the tall birds cant stand in there and planned a few ledges that stick out for fish to hide under. Someone gave me an idea of sinking a large pipe so fish could hide inside of there too. I want to kinda make a sort of uneven figure 8 shape (much larger on one side) and have a bridge of some sort across the center..that would give the fish more shade and another hiding spot.

I have seen herons in our cypress swamp area so they would def try to get the fish!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

That magenta lily is so pretty!

I thought of firebush because it's near my jasmine.

last year

Miami Rose

King of Siam

Not sure which one this is..its bluer in person

lotus

Red night bloomer

White Super fragrant daybloomer..bees are very attracted to it.

• JoanM
    last year

I need a lily with varigated leaves now. Thanks LOL I will start a koi pond thread so we don’t hijack this one.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

This one should be closed (is it possible?) for commenting, given that it no longer is January. And a February initiated.

last year

Someone can go ahead and start a Feb Thread and we can just post there. No clue on how to close a thread lol.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last year

Ok, new thread is titled "February: Your flowers that appear this month" https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6346242/february-your-flowers-that-appear-this-month

• four (9B near 9A)

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b >"die out when it gets really hot" ___

First flowers on newly grown small plants :

Photos taken today June 12; really hot. I will report when plants die.

• four (9B near 9A)

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b >"die out when it gets really hot" ___ Hi Carol. Could be a matter of longevity, the heat being incidental.

• four (9B near 9A)

four (9B near 9A) >"I will report when plants die." ___ One died. The rest are green. Aug 10. Conclusion : hot weather does not die them.

• four (9B near 9A)

Oct 31

Blue Mistflower still some in bloom.

A few week ago I uprooted some completely brown, bunched a fistfull together into soil in a pot. The apparently dead guys, unearthed today, have new shoots on underground portion :

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)

Camellia japanica, been extremely mild up north until just now with the arctic airmass. They used to hold off till early March, now they start bloom in December and January. No bueno.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)

Wow! I am just getting really into Camellias. I took a drive north of us last week, in S AL. (hubby wanted to go to a store in the area)The Camellias were blooming like crazy up there!

Many were japonicas and they had them in full sun situations right in the middle of their front yards with no other trees for shade etc. I was always under the impression they needed afternoon shade. I figured maybe the big box stores would be carrying Camellias but I didnt see much of anything.

I may try a few in full sun. I can always move them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 hours ago

IDK much about Camellias but there are a few around town I've been admiring for almost 20 years. They bloom @ different times, but the times are the same as they have always been. Some of them are many decades old and so many houses have one in particular that has plain red flowers with a LOT of petals that starts blooming in December & is just now coming to an end. I've seen hummingbirds visiting the blooms many times.

My neighbor next door has one sheared into a lollipop that is in the sun for most of the day except for a few hours when our house casts a shadow on it for an hour or 2. I love that shrub. I can see it from where I am sitting on our couch and there is always a mockingbird living in it. I'm not a fan of sheared shrubs in general, but the super-thick and tight foliage that can be the result can have some benefits.

Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!