Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jconn19

Mudroom color scheme

10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi- need some ideas for our mudroom. The brick floor and granite counter will stay but need options for new paint color along with new wallpaper. The current paint on trim/doors/built ins is bunglehouse gray by sherwin williams. The granite counter has cream/white/gray/green tones. i also want to add a runner. thanks!!

Comments (37)

• 10 months ago

I don't think you have the layout for a runner, but if you do, choose warm colors.

Other ideas:

I love wallpaper and have had it in every home we have owned. In your space, no wallpaper. Too busy with that great floor.

• 10 months ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    10 months ago

I love this color from farrow and ball. As you can see, looks great w/the brick floor. It's Brinjal

Use the lighter pink tinged white for the trim/doors if you like.

I think these colors would be stunning

This wallpaper is a pretty good match too. I'd do the one wall, maybe just behind the cabinet. paint the other walls

For your wall, instead of wallpaper, I'd consider doing the vertical wall planks/beadboard like shown in the first pic and painting it to match the bench/cabinet

I believe your granite also has some of the deep berry tones, doesn't it? In any case, it would blend well together.

you could also get a wood butcher block (home depot has some) stain it a warmer tone like this, and have it cut to fit right on top of your bench. I think it would take it up a notch.

Also, what do you think of this upper shelf idea? more storage.

Or, if you can DIY, get some wood planks, glue/screw them together, sand and stain, and cut it yourself to fit the bench. you could make one like this for less than $50

if you want lighter, try the peal/truffle for the walls/doors, and the deep mauve for the cabinet

some other options

I'd also bring in something like this for the light,,

Wayfair has these

and if you want a wallpaper, this style is a peel and stick. comes in many color options

Or, how about an embossed peel and stick Paintable wallpaper?

Instead of doing an actual beadboard wall, you could do the paintable wallpaper version

• PRO
    10 months ago

its hard to answer this without knowing what other areas of your home look like and the overall color scheme and style of your home. Or is this the first space in your home you are overhauling and it is going to set the tone for the rest of the home moving forward?

if you paint the trim and doors will this color continue on the other side of the doorways and windows?

what is it you currently don't like about the space?

will the cabinets stay the cream color?

will you be keeping the current backsplash tile?

what about the window blinds? is there a light and privacy issue?

what type of lighting do you have in the space?

give us some more info.

• 10 months ago

The rest of the house is pretty traditional style. i have a lot of blues, red, neutrals throughout the house and i am only looking to update the mudroom. the paint on doors/trim will not continue to the other side. i attached a few pics of the first level of the house. i think my biggest issue withe the current space is that it just looks to busy - the wallpaper does not complement the brick and overall its too white/bright. i was planning on keeping the current backsplash, counter and cabinets but everything else i am open to change. I could probably have the cabinets painted but im not looking to fully replace.. No privacy issues. i currently have one pendant light in there. thanks!!

• PRO
    10 months ago

I agree no wallpaper and the same color as the cabinets to calm it all down.

• 10 months ago

Does the mudroom open into the kitchen? If so, it makes sense to use a similar color scheme with the sage green and navy blue, although I do love love love Beth’s purple color scheme.

• 10 months ago

Sorry you don't like the trim and door color - I think it works really well with your brick. I'd take the wallpaper down and paint the walls the same color as your current doors, though I suspect you will not want to go that dark. Otherwise, I'd keep the door and trim color and paint the walls to match your cabinet color. Either way, your floor steals the show here. Let it be the center of attention.

• PRO
    10 months ago

thank you for the additional information. your home is traditional but definitely has a transitional format. you have some formal architectural elements but then some decidedly country elements too like you tongue and groove ceikling, bead board etc.

i think you can use wallpaper its about scale. choose something with a very open format.

i would pull the blinds and replace with roman shades with a cute tape trim.

based on the colors you have in your home i think a medium tone dusty blue would work well wit h the bricks, brighten the space up and work with the brick and cream cabinets as well as the back splash and counter.

• PRO
    10 months ago

oh and i cant go without mentioning i absolutely adore your dog! is it Airedale?

• 10 months ago

Ha yes an airedale!! thank you for the feedback!

• 10 months ago

Before deciding on paint, decide on the look you want. I’d skip wallpaper given how busy the floor and counters are. Add personality with fun lighting, hardware, art and rug choices. To better incorporate the white machines and make the room feel airy and cheerful, suggest white walls and sage on cabinetry would work well.

Another idea is to paint everything the same green (including the ceiling for impact) or leave white and could add beams.

• 10 months ago

The wallpaper is making the room look to visually busy. Remove that and paint the walls, trim and cabinets the same color. I like the idea of sage or soft olive green. The brick floor is the interesting part of the room. Keep everything quiet and the same. What a great mudroom.

Although I love Beth’s idea, it is not consist with your house. But mud rooms are a great place to just break out the purples.

• 10 months ago

The floor is the problem. Everything else looks good.

Color the grout a different color.

• 10 months ago

Yes! i think this is one if the biggest issues as i look at new wallpaper/paint color…..the grout is too light and.anything else i do will still compete with the floor. is there way to darken without having to remive it completey and regrout?

• 10 months ago

Yes, you can change the grout with a product called Polyblend Grout Renew. It will be like coloring the lines in a color book. Check the big box hardware stores.😉

• PRO
    10 months ago

Uh, do you actually think you will be able to get down on this floor w/a small brush and paint every last piece of grout??

not likely. besides, the parts of the brick that have taken up the grout will be impossible to paint w/o getting it on the brick. (and unlike the ceramic tile pictured, you won't be able to wipe it off w/a damp rag. brick is porous. (unless this is a porcelain brick?)

there's no way you're going to get this look w/the grout unless you tear it out and start over.

Your brick floor is fine, and th grout is fine.

Change the paint color of the room before even contemplating redoing the floor.

I suggested going w/a dark color. you never commented on the colors I posted further up. You don't like this idea?

this is just one darker version compimenting the darker brick tones. use this for the doors/trim, and do a soft white/gray on the walls

I also suggested some wood on the bench

check out all these pics

https://www.houzz.com/photos/brick-floor-mudroom-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_741~a_13-415--47-360

jconn19 thanked Beth H. :
  • 10 months ago

Thank you, beth, for all the feedback and pics. i wasnt sure what was involved in darkening grout but that is a huge undertaking. the brighteness of the grout has bothered me but again, its obviously being accentuated by the surrounding color scheme. the lighting is throwing it off too. I am looking into these color options as well as breaking up the built in with the wood bench as you suggested. i was initially thinking of doing a cushion but the cutout design really doesnt allow for it.

• 10 months ago

Why not 3 cushions that are in between the dividing walls? I wouldn’t eliminate that idea.

• PRO
    10 months ago

I really like the Brinjal color w/a wood bench top

I think if you did all the cabinets/doors/trim w/it, wood bench top, and the light wall color, it would be stunning

a warm bench top, the brinjal, some softer white and a new ceiling light

Similar colors w/a sample of wallpaper if you want that route.

You could go w/one of the lighter shades on everything, the paper, and maybe just paint the door the darker tone.

lots of ways to do it

I just think the eggplant tones really work well w/the brick

• 10 months ago

Yes, the eggplant colors will definitely make the brick look better than it already does.

• 10 months ago

I used my finger instead of a paint brush, and it wasn't that big a deal to recolor the grout. I've done 2 large bathrooms and part of the brickwork around my house (ended up painting the brick later but gave it a try because the brick was so awful). Better than living with the wrong color.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Are you sure its grout? Many times brick floors are done with mortar. Sometimes sanded grout is used but if this is a traditional application its mortar and coloring it would be a nightmare. i wouldn't even attempt it. You would have running/bleeding and a complete mess on your hands. The beauty of a brick floor is the contrast. there is nothing wrong with your floors they are great with the style of your home. i would change the counter top before id touch those floors. It would be a less labor intensive and less expensive way to go and be a fresher update. You could source a scrap piece of stone or quartz that is less busy and in a colorway that works better.

• 9 months ago

There are several excellent suggestions here, but the most important thing is to get rid of the plaid wallpaper. It's lovely on its own, but chaotic with the brick floor. Best of luck with your project.

• 9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

First impression is that the space is dreary, heavy and old fashioned.

My personal solution would be to ditch all the gray and the wallpaper (which is fighting with the floor and the countertop). I like light and bright rooms.

Lovely brick floor. Let it be the star. I would use that mortar color everywhere.

• 9 months ago

I’d continue the color scheme from your kitchen by painting the doors and lockers the same color as your cabinets and the replacing the countertop with the same material as your island.
    Replace window coverings with something in the same cream tone. Replace light fixture with one that isn’t so fancy. Find a solid or bordered runner for the length of the room. Hang a large piece of art that picks up the existing colors that can be a focal point.

• 9 months ago

Most important: How do you want to FEEL as you enter your homeyou enter your home? listen to those feeings Let that guiise you. So typically people feel a bit stressed and frazzled and are dumping lots of stuff, right right? Then you might want to keep the colors more pale, warm, and welcoming — nothing intense. see how it feels to envision the space very soothing, light and bright. You could just paint over the wallpaper (with the right paint) as a trial run.

• 9 months ago

I agree with the suggestions of going with a sage green colour similar to the kitchen island. I would suggest going a few shades lighter than the island, so the space doesn’t get too dark. A lighter colour will also help pop the colours of the granite and the floor.

• 9 months ago

My first thought without reading was pop a color from the floor into the room. The baskets next to floor look great. Different light fixture, bigger better light emitted. no wallpaper.

• 9 months ago

Remove wallpaper - nice on it's own but competes with floor. Brighter lighting for sure- the LED lighting that looks like flourescent tube lighting is bright and practical for the space. I wouldn't do anything with the granite countertop. That thing is a workhorse and indestructible. If your space is like mine it will eventually get covered with stuff and you won't even notice it. I envy you that large space. I would definitly put as runner down to help keep the mortar of brick cleaner. Again, that is a great room - just really needs to be brighter.

• 9 months ago

I wouldn’t use wallpaper. Similar green tone but a bit lighter shade,maybe a sage green. I’d do all the cabinets the same colour. I’d want to change the floor but if it’s out of budget an area carpet might help tone it down. Change to stainless steel sink and appliances.

• 9 months ago

I would make it more bright. I personally don't like dark colors to me It's dark. I would make it more cheerful and happy

• 9 months ago

Paint the walls a shade of white or a pastel color - get rid of the ugly greenish grey for sure!

• 9 months ago

I agree with the first comment made by Kendrah - the mud room/laundry is fine & your door /trim color is lovely. That wallpaper is the only jarring note. I'd remove it, paint the walls the shade of the lightest brick in the floor & be happy. (Color drenching can be wonderful but not in a laundry.)

• 9 months ago

Removing the wallpaper will give your eyes a way to see other colors. Perhaps that is step one. Then you can decide between something soft or something more dramatic. I don’t know about you, but I sometimes can’t visualize when I’m seeing a patterned wallpaper.

• 9 months ago

I agree that the floor is very busy so I would skip any wallpaper. The green is a bit drab to me. Something brighter would look nice, that is a great room.