Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_h

exterior makeover this ugly house.

S Hill
last month

Hi all! This house was built in 1928 and originally was an English cottage style with rolled roof edges.
Someone came along in the 90’s and added on did a bunch of tacky things to it… such as the lions and balusters, etc.
I’m going to redo the exterior and replace windows, doors, stucco, roof, landscape etc.
I’m trying to decide on a direction to go with it. We’re in the Santa Barbara area and so I’m thinking Spanish.
Here’s what I’m thinking-

1. Change the hip gable to an open gable
  2. Ditch the balusters and do solid plaster walls and some iron railings
  3. Scale down the windows and replace with windows that have grids
  4. Smooth stucco
  5. Landscape!
  6. Redo roof with a nicer Spanish tile

What do you think? Or should I try to go back to the English style?
Any feedback would be great!

Comments (9)

• Kendrah
    last month

Yes, without a doubt, if you can afford to, then do it. Look for historic pics online of what other homes like this looked like you your city. Extensively drive your neighborhood to see if any homes have been restored, or better yet, never touched. See what cues you can take from them.

• HU-910663146
    last month

I'd start small and see what it looks like before changing too much

• Kendrah
    last month

Get some good digital renderings for all of the changes you want to make. See what it looks like and prioritize. The windows and balistrades seem to shout 1990s the loudest.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Is this located on an island somewhere? It's important to keep the local vernacular in architecture.

• S Hill
    Original Author
    last month

No, this is a hillside home in Southern California ( near Santa Barbara) . It sticks out like a sore thumb. My neighborhood is Tudor and Spanish revival mostly, all built in the 1920’s.
    Here’s another photo

• S Hill
    Original Author
    last month

Here’s a crude rendering of what I have in mind

• kazzh
    last month

In looking at your neighbours, the one to the right in your area photo looks to be of similar era given the chimney and roofline. I note the roof is similar so this actually might be the original roof line. The bright orange tile might not be! If you want to try and put it to rights, definitely try to locate some original pics. Local libraries often have good resources.

Have your neighbours been there for a while? If they have, they might have photos where your house makes an appearance in the background and reveal the pre 90’s version.

• Kendrah
    last month

Your rendering shows a front door that, I believe, is not currently visible. It adds to much to the front of the house. What is on the interior of your house in that area?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

I would get a good architect involved ASAP, someone who has done a lot of Spanish Revival homes. I don't think going back to English cottage works for your neighborhood, particularly if you plan to keep the stucco. I'm sure s/he can bring a lot of suggestions to the party, and elevate the look even beyond what you have imagined.