Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viva_bailey30

White Oak Stain Wash Difference

V. Bee
14 days ago

We just got our white oak bathroom cabinets stained (or paint washed). We loved the sample provided and approved.
I've included before and after.

However, you can see some of the cabinet doors are significantly lighter than the cabinet box after treatment.
Is this normal to have this much of a difference?

I'll show to our contractor but want to hear from
persons who are in the know.
Thoughts/suggestions?

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    14 days ago

Not all pieces of wood take a finish the same. Different cuts, veneer, end grains, all all can take finishes quite differently.

• PRO
    Minardi
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Wood comes from trees. Many trees in the forest. Each branch of each tree can have wood that looks different than another. The hallmark of something made with real natural materials is variability, not plastic sameness.

• vinmarks
    14 days ago

The difference was there before the treatment so why would it be any different after the treatment?

• V. Bee
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I realize there is natural variation within wood and appreciate that. I'm not looking for "plastic sameness".

However, the variation looks stark.

All photos/examples of white oak cabinets I've seen have slight variation in tones, not one this extreme.

The difference before the treatment was slight.

• PRO
    Zumi
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

The ones you have seen are likely rift sawn vs plain sawn. You cannot make up for different sawing characteristics with stain.

• bry911
    14 days ago

The finisher just isn’t very talented.

This isn’t a problem with wood or cut or anything else. Yes, you can have variation in wood finishes, but you don’t just leave distinct color variation between doors and frames.

• V. Bee
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Here's another cabinet with same issue of doors being much lighter than frame after treatment-

• Karenseb
    13 days ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful, but the result is probably due to the original color/variety of the wood.

I'd go to a cabinet maker and ask if he can provide new doors finished to match the rest of the cabinetry. Maybe not, but might be worth a try.

V. Bee thanked Karenseb
  • Debbie Downer
    12 days ago

Agree that a skilled finisher should be able to modify colors/tones to a certain extent .... while still leaving plenty of variation as you would expect with natural wood. Other instances where this might be done incl. tweaking color of new floor boards to blend into old 100 yr old wood floor.

V. Bee thanked Debbie Downer