Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rr4580

Help Picking Carpet Color

rr4580
12 days ago

Trying to pick a timeless and traditional carpet.

How do you like this Dreamweaver Moon Bay?

Paint is SW Snowbound, Cabs are SW Worldly Gray (shown in pics)

Flooring is Coretec Calypso Oak.

Need to pick a carpet color!!!

Comments (16)

• Jeff Smith
    12 days ago

Like the Moon Bay carpet pattern and would consider a beige or brown color. I like the second brown from top on right hand side, or the brown color below it. Think they would match paint & cab's. No more gray, ha ha - tired of gray.

• lslav2012
    12 days ago

With the swatch and ample shown, I like the first carpet option on the left of the 2nd row from the bottom. It's not too dark as to suck the light from the space, but dark enough to be forgiving if you have kids or pets.

• btydrvn
    12 days ago

It will be easier to decide if you take the swatches to look at …in your home ….but I would consider all warmer colors with the flooring you have chosen…no gray or beige paint and one of the colors from the right column..preferably the three colors in the center of that column for carpet and paint

• la_la Girl
    12 days ago

^agree - I feel like I read somewhere that carpet reads lighter when installed? maybe do a spot of research to see if that’s true as you might want to go one shade darker

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

What room is the carpet going into? If it's covering the oak floor, why would you need to match that? It should work with whatever is going in the room. Perhaps show some photos to help us give you advice.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

It’s not real clear where this carpeting is going. Is it next to the wood floors, but in a bedroom? Is it in a kids’ room or adults? Or both?

Ask to bring the samples to your home and look at the products on the floor. They will look different than standing vertically in a store that has lighting you don’t have.

In general, the right side middle ones look the best. No gray.

How light or dark you want to go depends on how they look in your house.

• rr4580
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Carpet is going into bedrooms. Wood is just in adjacent hallways. I would say we have more Browns in furniture. No grays. Greige always seems safe. Let me try to find pics. Although paint will change.

• rr4580
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Here are photos and a swatch of current carpet sample for reference of current carpet color.

• Valinta
    12 days ago

If you have nice oak floors consider an area rug instead. Easier to change, or remove when it’s decided all hardwood would be preferred. Carpet stores can bind the edges of a carpet if you prefer that to a ready-made area rug. And, yes, if you are replacing wall-to-wall carpet you will need to finish the tack strip edge area.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

I agree with @Valinta. Do the wood floors throughout the house and find area rugs for the bedrooms. It gives you the warmth of carpeting but has more design options.

And there’s always the option to roll them up in summer and keep cooler with just wood floors.

• PRO
    12 days ago

There's really nothing in the bedroom to inform your choice of carpet, especially if the wall color can change. You're basically starting with a blank slate. I'd suggest figuring out what look you want before installing any floor covering. Show us some inspiration rooms, color palettes you like, styles, etc. Don't think that because the carpet you are considering is neutral that it will go with anything you select in the future. Have a plan before you purchase anything.

• rr4580
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Yes the wall color will change to white (snowbound)
    I just want the lightest best neutral. Not gray, not too brown. Something versatile.
    These are guest bedrooms with simple white bedding. I don’t have inspiration images.

• PRO
    11 days ago

There's no such thing as "the lightest best neutral." Color is a function of light, and what looks the lightest and best in one home or room could look not great in another. You need to select it in your house in your light.

Or you could just buy the one that's smack in the center of the sample board. That looks light and neutral.

• la_la Girl
    11 days ago

I like Deer Path

• Sammi M
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

In general, I suggest straying from dark carpet. It immediately can suck the life and light out of the room. Based on your selections, my favorite options are the following. However, I HIGHLY recommend you bring these swatches home to see how they read in the natural light of your bedroom. What reads as super warm or cool in these pictures could be totally different in real life.

- Champagne Fizz

- Soft Pine (this one might be too yellow?)

- Warm Sand

- Topaz

- Timber Ridge

• ptreckel
    11 days ago

Soft Pine.