Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amnak768

Cabinet color if nothing else changes

2 months ago

Hello, I’m thinking of having the kitchen cabinets repainted. Was thinking of white, but confused on which white to use? Also have thought about a sage color.

Comments (11)

• 2 months ago

A good professional cabinet painting job is quite expensive and the cabinets don't look solid enough to merit that level of investment. An inexpensive paint job will start to chip in no time and leave you off worse than you are.

I'd seriously declutter and remove the word art. Do you use that blind? Maybe upgrade it. Your cabinets really blend well with your floor color. Painted a different color you will have three blocks of color - floor, cabinets, counter. I think it will make your kitchen look much smaller.

• 2 months ago

I do think it looks nice as is but if you really want a change I think I'd pick white even though that's not my usual preference. It would be a good contrast with your countertops, wall paint, and floor. Not sure if you think hardware would make it too cluttered, but some pulls/knobs might be a nice change too. Your kitchen doesn't need a full gut and it really does look nice as is!

• 2 months ago

i would not paint. get a small cart for the water dispensing .....there are so many carts...so many sizes/place it against the wall w the light switches. then clear counters a bit... how is the nice pantry cabinet being used .....with rollouts or ???? when you can see things clearly / what about removal of the strip and install a tile backsplash......add a valance high above the window....add hardware....bring in a floor mat or two. would you like a couple open shelves to the right of window if the drinking setup gets a new home??? Kitchen can easily be "done up" so you dont have to paint the cabs.

here's a cart......there are many

Safavieh Sienna 2 Tier Round Bar Cart, Matte Black, 23.8"x19.9"x34" · More Info

• 2 months ago

White is nice.

• 2 months ago

The cabinets look nice just like they are. I would not paint them.

• 2 months ago

Gorgeous orchid. The cabinets look fine and the latches on the open doors can be replaced. If you want to add more green color, change the kitchen towels to sage green. Adding another orchid would be lovely, too.

• 2 months ago

As mentioned above, a nice cabinet painting job is expensive and not DIY unless you are patient and handy. The home decorating shows lie :)

Before I painted, I'd get a cute rug and cheery valance and remove the letters that draw the eye to the ceiling. That could be enough change to make the kitchen more attractive to you.

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

My sister and I painted her 1970s kitchen cabinets. We took our time, got off all the built up kitchen grease and they came out nice. When she sold the house three years later, the cabinets still looked great. It made a big difference. Sure--we were scared--we read all those people online who said, "Don't!" but we didnt' listen and I'm glad we didn't. Come to think of it--my husband and I painted the 50's? 60's? kitchen cabinets in our fishing cabin. We paid next to nothing for that house and didn't have much money to fix things up and thought, "What do we have to lose?" Green oil paint. His grandfather soaked the old metal pulls in gasoline(!) and screwed them onto a huge piece of cardboard and spray painted them black. Fifteen years later, there are a few dings, but not bad. The photo below is from last year, when my husband decided to replace the backsplash and counters. Paint job on cabinets 15 years old (at least).

• 2 months ago

Sherwin Williams Westhighland white is a good choice with your flooring.

• 2 months ago

Your cabinets look look in good condition..but are deeply grained..not ideal for painting…..i always think a small walk-in pantry adds soo much convenience if used properly…no inconvenient cabinet doors..and space for the odd shaped and odd sized things…with open shelving for easy access to all the things you use daily