Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dafnaa

replacing door knobs and hinges - all or some?

10 years ago
Our entire house was custom built by the original owners using shiny gold brass finishes, including: every single door knob, lighting fixtures in each room, pulls on all 6 bathroom vanities and faucets in all bathroom sinks, jacuzzi finishes, and toliet hinges…it's everywhere. It's tasteful, however as we update our first floor we would like to replace some of the gold knobs and hinges with brushed nickel. Is okay to leave knobs inside the rooms and bathrooms (each room has it's own) gold and just focus on the doors that face out into the hallways and main areas? Attached is a picture of our door. The style remains consistent throughout. We are painting the doors "facing out" white, but the internal side of the door remains the same to match the rooms (unless the door is an external closet door). Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This is what I have found. You can replace door knobs to whatever you would like but be careful replacing the hinges. The types have changed through the years especially on cabinets. Spray paint them to match the knobs, you will never see the difference. Expample, your door has 4 hinges, mine has only 2. Yours are smaller than mine and much different, so keep the hinges and make sure they don't get lost or thrown away. If you replace your knobs with nickle, maybe there is a dark grey silver rub you could put on the outside of the hinge to tone it down and then go to a brass rub if you ever change it back. What is being said below is a good idea too so that you can get the right finish on the knob for the inside rooms. Make sure that it says universal on the package so that it the knob will fit the thickness and hole in existing door and easily changed out.
    dafnaa thanked J Petempich
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    We 'split finish' on our projects on a somewhat regular basis. Probably the most challenging part of this is finding a style from a manufacturer who sells in a slit finish, allows you to purchase just one side if the handle. Emtek is one manufacturer who offers split finish sales.
    dafnaa thanked McCabe By Design LLC
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    One more thing you might want to try for the door knobs. Take one completely out, take a couple of photos so you know how to get it back in and take it to the hardware stores and see if you can still buy this brand with the same guts inside. You may be able to swap out one side door knob and still use the guts and other knob. I think these knobs could be about 20 years old because of what I put in once but if they are a brand name that still exists this may work. Then you could use the rest of the knobs and guts as you remodel inner rooms later. Hope you keep us posted what you do.
    dafnaa thanked J Petempich
  • 10 years ago
    These are very helpful suggestions. What a coincidence. I had asked a similar question about replacing all my door knobs from the builder's gold brass, when in the middle of it all it dawned on me that I also had to consider the door hinges and hinge pin door stops and the matching finish otherwise there is also the option to paint over the existing hardware.

I am going with the replacement option by choice. It has been a rewarding learning experience.
  • 9 years ago

An option you may consider is to locate a plating company and plate the handle side you wish to change.

• 9 years ago
    can we have golden doorknobs on white doors?? or only silver goes with white??
  • 9 years ago
    sorry... posted here by mistake... i actually wanted to post this ques.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

@jainpradhan, white doors gives you the flexibility of choosing any finish. Just remember to have the hinges match the door knob/lever and consider the finish of the installed light fixtures in the room as well.