Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Do you park your car in the garage?

10 years ago
Is your garage used for cars or some other purpose?

Vote and tell us where you park your cars. If you got pictures, post them too!
In the garage
Outside the garage

Comments (106)

• 10 years ago
    We park our MB in the garage, Nice cars needs garage!
  • 10 years ago
    The only time we have used our garage for parking is when we lived in New York City and had the luxury of an attached 2-car garage. Street parking was impossible so we relied on the garage. In the suburban and country houses, we have only used the garages for storage and workshop. The cars have to be cleaned of snow/ice in winter and get pummeled by acorns in fall, but we need the storage space and can't build any more structures.
  • 10 years ago
    Just moved from NY to AZ. Loved the idea of using the garage for storage until desert rats ate the wiring under one of our cars, which was parked in the driveway each night. $500 later, the cars are now where they belong - in the garage.
  • 10 years ago
    garage in winter, driveway in summer.
    hate cleaning the snow :(( and healthier for the cars.
  • 10 years ago
    Have a 3 car garage and we park all three vehicles in the garage... thats the rule... nice.
  • 10 years ago
    Nov 14th was a momentous day as hubby and I both pulled our cars actually into our two car integral garage! We spent a year on a whole house remodel, and for most of that time, the garage was occupied by house furnishings, while the cars languished outside. Just in time for the snow too!
  • 10 years ago
    2 cars here and both go in garage. that is what a garage is for. don't let more than a couple days of mess go on out there for a project with out bringing the cars back in or the stuff will take over.
  • 10 years ago
    I used to park both my vehicles in my garage until the door with the remote stopped functioning. Every spring I say I need to get that door fixed. The other side has my "waiting to be restored" 1974 MGB.
  • 10 years ago
    We recently downsized and now use our garage to store my husband's 43 and 45 year old children's "stuff," and we park our cars in the driveway.....
  • 10 years ago
    OMG, Sustainable Dwellings! That is awful!
  • 10 years ago
    I live in winter wonderland so the double garage is where our cars go in winter. In summer they stay outdoors to have room for bikes etc.
  • 10 years ago
    In California we don't have basements, so everything goes into the garage for storage. However, I do manage to park my car in there. Tight squeeze but I make it happen.
  • 10 years ago
    I don't care what happens in the rest of the garage but there better be room for my car!
  • 10 years ago
    Have a 3. car garage that's pretty empty. Too lazy to park in there (didn't even park in there when we lived in Indiana for a few years;) and the weather isn't snowy here in the Willamette valley. Planning to renovate it to make a billiard room/media space and bar. We don't ever plan to move and are living our life.
  • 10 years ago
    We have a three car carpeted garage. one bay built for husband, he uses as office. Vintage convertible and our Mercedes inside. My Grand prix and ford truck sit outside. No we are not rich, they are all paid for and they are older models. We take care of our vehicles and have no desire for payments just to keep up with The Jones's. Spending our money on old 1880's farm house renovation.
  • 10 years ago
    I live I'm restricted parking. Right now I use the garage for contractors to reduce the nuisance of parking passes. When the current rehab is finished, I'll put my car in the garage.
  • 10 years ago
    We park our cars in garage because our driveway has a slope to it and makes opening/closing car doors difficult when parked in driveway. We also enjoy not getting rained on during rainy days and not having to squeegee morning dew from car windows.
  • 10 years ago
    If we ever have so much stuff in our (5 car) garage, that we cannot park our two cars, then we are in BIG trouble!
  • 10 years ago
    We have a 2 story 2 bay garage where we park 3 cars. My husband's sports car is on a lift and is parked above my car. The remaining upstairs area is used for storage.
  • 10 years ago
    The first thing people did 20, 30 years ago when they came home was open the garage door and PUT THE CAR AWAY! Not anymore. The young couples on both sides have so many large toys there is no room for the cars and the cars stay out all year long How times have changed.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Just this weekend it was cold enough to have to scrape car windows and I was soooo happy to have the car parked in the garage and avoid that part of winter weather.
  • 10 years ago
    We park in the garage. I don't like junky garages! We built our house in 2006. My current house had sold, so we had to rent an apartment for six months until our house was finished. In that time we had a really bad hail storm that damaged my car! I live in the south, not that unusual! Love my garage!
  • 10 years ago
    We have space for one car in a basement garage, but that room is basically two cars wide so there's lots of room for shop, storage, mowers, motorcycle and snowblower in there. Usually my little Subaru is housed in the garage because I'm the one who has to go to work. However, we can get the pickup all the way in, close the door, and still have room to get around it to work on things. Once we got a '70s Lincoln Continental shoehorned in but then could only get to the driver's side by climbing over the trunk.

If we ever get another house up here I want at least 2 bays.
  • 10 years ago
    outside and currently renovating our house and taking part of the garage inside the house!
  • 10 years ago
    We park the people mover in the double garage and sometimes the camping gear etc is packed away so the hubbies car can come in too. Our laundry is located in the garage too.
  • 10 years ago
    Previous house that garage was so 'corners shaved' that the hatchback was the only thing that would fit in it lengthwise (so our other three vehicles would not fit at all) and you could only park two in it (claimed it was a 2 car garage) if you could climb out the back as you were not going through the car doors.

Here stall and a half garage is full of stained glass, drywall, an ATV that wasn't running when we got it and might not ever, two freezers and the regenerative pump for the pond air, and some stuff in rafters I can't identify. The "house" we bought next door, both stalls are full of small engine stuff and his small tractor; my shop across street is full of plants, tools, (wood and mechanics), my stained glass tools, his fancy fish that need to winter... and two vehicles sit outside, two are in carport, and the panel truck is now a directional landmark in town it's sat there so long. I still need an attic, a basement and a bonfire to catch up with storage needs.

I say for each vehicle you want to park in a garage you need four stalls. One for tools, one for yard stuff, one for storage and the freezer, and one for the car. If you want to park two cars inside you need 8 stalls...
  • 10 years ago
    After I moved this spring, my SMALL one-car garage was filled with boxes and the makings of bookshelves. After I got the boxes unpacked and put away, and moved the shelving project to the basement's family room where the shelves will be installed, I was able to park--just barely--in my new garage. It is a tight fit, but since my driveway is rather steep and narrow, it is safer for me! Here in the Midwest, we can have temps of 70 degrees one day, and snow flurries the next, so a garage to park in is SO handy!
  • 10 years ago
    Actually, we use our 2.5 car garage for cars in the winter and workshop the rest of the year. Creative storage and use of the attic above the garage also help us keep seasonal items from cluttering up the space. Bicycles hang above the cars.
  • 10 years ago
    Where's the spot for parking trucks in the pole barn?
  • 10 years ago
    Unfortunately we cannot park our newer car in garage. It was build in 1920, is small and because it is offset from driveway, we have to drive in at an angle so it doesn't fit. If we could drive in straight, it might work (but I might sheer off the side mirrors in the process.) But it does come in handy for storage.
  • 10 years ago
    Always park the car in the garage. Waited too long for an attached 2 car garage to not use it for it's intended purpose. !/2 is used for the lawn toys, tractor, spreader, dethatcher and work bench.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    warm heated garage
  • 10 years ago
    Right now: outside. Only because we live in a small rental and don't have the room while we're building our new place. Once in our new place, inside. We've built it bigger to accommodate our sports equipment and our cars.
  • 10 years ago
    I always park my car in my 1 car garage, as a woman living alone I feel it's the safest thing for me and my car plus I just dislike seeing cars parked on the street.
  • 10 years ago
    Need to get a opener for the garage door...after almost 6 years in home it is almost to top of my to do list...we just press the button inside the garage to open and close it. Right now have the Halloween decorations boxed back up and ready to put back on shelves when I take Xmas boxes down ... also have to finish pruning the trees and winterizing plants and outside faucets, clean gutters again when rest of leaves fall, so ladder, etc.. is all out. After that is done I bring in the patio cushions, etc. and store them...then I put everything away and can finally get car back in garage...maybe:)
  • 10 years ago
    I have a two car garage with one small car so I park on one half of it. The other half has wheelbarrow and lawnmower, outdoor furniture in winter, a bike, trash cans and shelving for my son's large collection of woodworking tools. He doesn't live here - I just store his stuff.
  • 10 years ago
    When we were buying a crossover SUV, we test drove our choice home to verify it would fit our garage. It had to fit next to our older car, and fit in lengthwise. We scrutinized car dimensions while we considered models. It was very important to me to have both cars fit in our garage. It was a requirement when we searched for this house a few years ago.
  • 10 years ago
    No, I set up an outdoor theater for the kids in mine.
  • 10 years ago
    We bought our house BECAUSE of the garage it had and that it had enough land for us to build a second garage.

Thank G-d!

I always feel so bad when I see people shoveling their cars out. Especially once the city plows plowed them in but good!
  • 10 years ago
    On the shelf in the mancave : )
  • 10 years ago
    We have a two car garage and we actually use both for our two cars
  • 10 years ago
    yep. both cars. every night.
  • 10 years ago
    Ours is called a store-arge! No room in a rental for storage!
  • 10 years ago
    Our next door neighbor has two four-car garages and leaves both cars in the driveway (against CC&Rs). I guess rules agreed to when you purchase don't apply to everyone?
  • 10 years ago
    Absolutely yes! We have a three car garage- my car, hubby's truck and motorcycle fit on two car side along with extra fridge, hubby's Hot Wheel collection and plenty of storage shelves. The third bay houses my motorcycle, riding mower, tool boxes, etc. We park in garage every day rain or shine.
  • 10 years ago
    Our development with CC&R's now has driveways that look like parking lots. We purchased here because of some of the rules. These are 3- and 4-car garages. This decreases your property value. If you can't park 2 cars and store your "stuff" in two 2-car garages, you have too much stuff! There are so many ways to store things (Home Depot) utilizing areas higher up.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes- both the car and truck we drive everyday go in the garage. We have 5 vehicles in total so the other 2 trucks get parked outside and the hubby has his other car parked in his shop....but they all seem to rotate in and out of the shop or other parking areas as used. We also store a few cords of wood in the garage and have a small chest freezer too- lots of sports equipment and gardening supplies are stored in there as well.
  • 9 years ago
    I just moved from the city to the suburbs and am not used to parking in the garage. I find it tight to try to get my sedan into, and recently nicked the side fender and has to get the dull right front side repainted. Car is new. Any tips on how I can protect the car or cushion this side of the garage entrance? (Or am I the only driver that has poor driving skills?!)
  • 9 years ago
    LIVE IN AN OLDER CITY IN OHIO. ONE OF THE RESTRICTIONS IS THAT NO GARAGE CAN FACE THE STREET. WONDERFUL IDEA AS IT KEEPS THE DRIVEWAYS FROM LOOKING LIKE
    PARKING LOTS
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    My wife's minivan goes in the garage; my vehicles are "outside dogs".