Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaneandkatie

What bold color should I paint my door? (Cream house, white trim)

shaneandkatie
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
This is the house as it is, "before". It is a cream color, white trim, but we are going to paint the shutters bright white to match the trim. Horticulture is my hobby so I always have really large, bright flowers in my front flower beds (usually yellows, reds and blues) ...That being said, I'm pretty set on the cream white combo because I want my bright flowers to be a focal point... I just can't decide on the door color? I love deep, strong red door for a white house but I also think a happy blue or sunshine yellow could work? I'd love ideas!

Comments (90)

• auntiestephles
    10 years ago
    I have to give a shout out for periwinkle blue! It's such a happy color and it ties in with our blue hydrangeas and makes our magenta hanging petunias pop! We use a vast array of pinks, blues, purples, whites, creams and sometimes a light dotting of yellows in the window boxes for added punch. If pinks aren't your flower color choice, periwinkle still looks great with a red-red/orange color scheme.(Fall mum hues look stunning! :)) We also proudly display the American Flag year round which lends itself to the Americana themed décor on the farmer's porch. Our street is a favorite for walkers who often remark that the house "looks so charming/inviting/welcoming", and "love that beautiful blue"! I'd like to suggest that you get a bunch of paint chip cards, cut out the individual rectangles, stand across the street and hold them over the front door and squint until you find the one you love best. Enjoy your lovely new home and remember, it's only paint and can be changed if ever and whenever you like!
  • tbwaters
    10 years ago
    Beautiful home! My vote goes to a rich teal! I think it would be stunning. Navy blue or red would stand out also if you wanted a more traditional look. And sunny yellow or key lime green would be fun options too! It would depend on the look you are going for...in my opinion, navy blue=traditional, red=bold yet still traditional, yellow/green=fun, teal=unique. The reason I would choose the rich, saturated teal color is because of how well I believe it will complement your flowers.
  • lilion
    10 years ago
    If you are set on cream and white, I'd reverse it and do the house white with the trim and shutters cream. Any brightly colored front door would be lovely, red, emerald green, royal blue.
  • dark74
    10 years ago
    A brick red! That would set it off and do the rest with you flowers and shrubs! I believe you just asked about the door, not changing the whole house color,
  • busselton
    10 years ago
    Jarrah timber solid front door with the frame work white to blend in white windows looks great :)
  • errichiello
    10 years ago
    I think any of those colors would be dramatic. So perhaps go with a color that you enter the house into. If you have red accents inside the doorway, go red. If you like blues just inside go that way. Or look at the pots or outdoor accents you will use and match to them. What ever you choose, just remember it is only paint and you can change it in a few years........ Good luck!
  • chiveycarolynn
    10 years ago
    Perhaps a crazy idea: buy enough poster board in your favorite colors and tack it to the door as a sample. Then as Sue2029 said, you have to take the shutters off to paint them anyway, take them off. Now get a pretty good idea of what your house would look like. Carolynn M.
  • vintagebookie
    10 years ago
    A cream house with white trim and shutters,I would like a rose color but not too pale.
  • clinnyc
    10 years ago
    I vote for a happy bright medium blue door. I just love how much blue sky can be seen from this view of your house. It's enough to have a presence, be a nice counterpoint to the white and cream, but will still recede enough to be serving up the beautiful flower colors that you will be planting.
  • personette
    10 years ago
    I vote persimmon!
  • PRO
    EMW Architecture
    10 years ago
    A shade of red would be my first response, but I LOVE the teal door shown above. So unexpected!
  • Mary Johnson
    10 years ago
    @sue2029 - love your house color. We are thinking about painting ours a light yellow with white trim. Could you tell me what color name and number is for the yellow. Thanks :)
  • kkwn
    10 years ago
    How about a a bright shade of green like the grass in the pics so far, perhaps a deeper shade on the sidelights? Of color options, a yellow door I think will not have much presence if your scheme will be creme and white.
  • ncycorsa
    10 years ago
    Leave the shutters alone for now and paint the door a bright color. I like the picture someone send with a similar color palette to your house with an orange door.
  • crazyoverpurple
    10 years ago
    How about painting the house a very pale grey ( ghost grey) and your door and shutters aubergine?
  • dana5964
    10 years ago
    Slate blue!!
  • marilyn26
    10 years ago
    We had Colonial blue siding and it faded badly so I would be careful of using a blue color.
  • Susan DeFelice
    10 years ago
    I'd choose a dutch cocoa for the shutters and a Chinese red lacquer finish for the door. Add some red poppies to your flower mix and voilà!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Paint the ceiling of the porch over hang a welcoming southern light sky blue . SW6505 atmospheric. This is a great tradition. . Front door color sherwin Williams SW6601 tanager , a red with some coral in it. When you don't have flowers chosen yet , one of the best house colors is green. A great natural looking background to any foliage. I like SW 6437 Haven , Then do the shutters and trim in SW6440 courtyard . The green and reds are complimentary colors and so the front door will look wonderful with this. Leave the porch rails white. The greens I mention have enough subdued appearance to work with your roof. Plant lilacs and reds in flowers it is unexpected and both work with these color combos.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Go to Sherwin Williams Color Visualizer, download a photo of your home and try different colors, that's how we decided on colors for our new home, exterior and interior!
  • PRO
    Via Design llc
    10 years ago
    With a dark roof and a large home, I would be concerned about whether the all 'white' palette would leave the home feeling 'ungrounded'. Also, I'm not sure where you live, so will the flowers be present year 'round? I would investigate shutter colors in a medium to dark value range of hue, and then a front door in a very intense, bright value of a complementary color (to the shutters), so it won't disappear in the shadow of the porch roof. If your door faces east, go to the orange shades rather than coral, which will get very pink in that orientation. Most of all, have fun!
  • Robbi
    10 years ago
    I love the colors of your house right now. I vote for a colonial blue (think cobalt, but a bit more muted) or teal. Red is a traditional brightener, but if you want to go in that direction I would go deep red, closer to burgundy red with your color scheme.
  • Renee' Crosby
    10 years ago
    If it were me, and you plan on keeping the dark shutters, I would go with the deep red or a Burgundy color. If you like blue better go with a more aqua blue color or tone.
  • jeanne
    10 years ago
    I just bought a house with cream siding, black shutters, and a lime green front door! I'm keeping it! It really catches the eye! I think the lime green door will go with all the plants in the front, once I redo the flower bed for spring.
  • PRO
    Rempfer Construction, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Having Grey shutters is not a lot different from white but it's not going to wash out your home as much as using white would. They also won't take away from your flowers. The top gray color is SW Gray Matters and the 2nd is SW Serious Grey.

As for the door we like the teal (the sample we provided is SW Intense Teal) because it again won't take away from your horticulture.
  • Lisa Antonelli
    10 years ago
    I agree with lime green, or maybe spring green, something bright, not something subtle.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I would love to see a periwinkle-blue door on that cream and white house (blue with a lot of blue-violet in it). It would be fresh and you could repeat it in flowers combined with yellows and chartreuse foliage.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Here is a periwinkle door that I love!
  • summgardner
    10 years ago
    Try shades of sage green...goes with the cream and ALL flower colors will pop as they do in nature against green grass, stems, etc. Try different shades on foam board and hold each up on the door to see how each harmonizes.
  • MariaAlexandra FernandezdeCordova Vizcarra
    10 years ago
    Happy blue would be perfect for the front door!!!! And it will make a great contrast with the red and orange of the future flowers!!! :)
  • thinking4now
    10 years ago
    Ask a simple question ... weren't you just asking about a door color and not house colors? We have a much smaller house but last summer had it painted off white with the trim a little darker and it looks so fresh. We love it and have received many compliment. Open the door and inside color is everywhere, just to let you know we are not afraid of color. If I were you I would go for the blue.
  • brendadon
    10 years ago
    I think the shutters could be a deep charcoal with the door in a rich teal. Is that a glass storm door in front of your front door and will you paint the frame of it the same colour?
  • Sharon de Vries
    10 years ago
    i think Abright red or almost black charcoal grey in europe this color is called anthracite and i love it…its a deep grey almost black that would make your white trim pop…flowers would pop off of either these colors do you like warm or cool colors…and what is your favorite color paint the door in it to welcome you home at the end of the day…enjoy the process…
  • PattyO
    10 years ago
    Love the periwinkle color! My choice would be fuschia--a very pinky-cherry color that will bring the red flowers right to your doorstep. Have fun choosing!
  • PRO
    Helen Anne Wilson Interior Designer
    10 years ago
    Traditionally, in England, the cream body of the house is intended to reference the stone siding of country houses of a certain era. The trim was white, but the shutters were dark green, almost black at first glance. This would be a solid choice and you are almost there! The door would have been a wood stain, but for a change-up, consider a warm shade of persimmon or red-orange, so the door stands out and looks cheerful. White shutters will be a little boring, as you have a lot of shutters and windows. Also, white shutters have a very seaside, beachy look, that might play better on smaller cottages. Better to go for the English country house look.

Also, the center upstairs window is off center, and you could consider concealing this with a lattice panel, while removing the shutters on that one window. Could this window be moved and centered between the other windows (interior spaces permitting)?

Helen Anne Wilson, Registered Interior Designer
    San Antonio, TX
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    How about going unexpected ? Would be great with a colorful garden.
    SW plum dandy
    SW expressive plum
    SW exclusive plum
  • PRO
    Kovac Design Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Personally, I'd work with the colors of the garden. I love a front door painted the same color as a flowering tree also in the front yard. Maybe the tree only blooms for a few weeks but what a lovely anticipation of Spring! And the color of the blossoms is on the entry door all year long. Feels like happiness to me.
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    I see a bold yellow on that nice house. Good luck
    [houzz=
    Mutiny Bay Waterfront Residence, Whidbey Island WA · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Exterior · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Miller's Meadow Farm · More Info
    ]
  • Kristen Roberts
    10 years ago
    I'm seeing a bright chartreuse. It would draw the door out of the shadows and tie in with the greenery of your planned garden.
  • Amie Horvath
    10 years ago
    depends - will your house be cream as in a beige or colonial creme - a light yellow? I have a colonial creme sided colonial home with dark blue shutters with a little green in them. If paint my front door any red color - it will change all my landscaping plans. I want to go with lots of colorful flowers including some redbud trees. I'd love to see what your plans are, we are zone 5 - 6 officially due to the river. We will still be focusing on finishing up the backyard this year - but will start the front this summer. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you do.
  • Janie Burton
    10 years ago
    If you are just adding color to the door, I would also paint the shutters all with a warm red! Use red and white ad the predominant colors for flowers.
  • jane_major
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    A purple with a blue undertone would be striking
  • Don Camacho
    9 years ago
    Nice house! Personally, I'd go with a sunflower yellow or light magenta to complement your flowers.
  • lucindalane
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm with you. I love a cream and white color scheme. However, I would do a very bright white so it would really contrast-as amazing as it seems, there are all sorts of shades of "white," and I would try to go with as "true" a shade of bright white as there is.

I get your reasoning. This type of color scheme is like a canvas, and your flower colors are going to be the "paint," basically. I hope you post some photos when you get all your flowers planted, as it would be great to see how the "canvas" is filled out.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I agree that you should definitely have three colors for your home. It won't distract from your flowers at all. I think that a neutral earth tone for the main color and a darker earth tone for your shutters would be a great compliment for your garden. Adding a nice pop of color on the front door would be statement and complete the look.
  • sheilaskb
    9 years ago

Instead of painting the shutters white, I would suggest you paint them midnight blue or navy blue and paint the door the same shade of blue. When the time comes to replace the roof, opt for a midnight blue or navy roof. You also could have a clear light blue for the porch ceiling and a medium blue for the porch floor. Since very few colors are a true blue, the many colors in the flowers still will stand out.

• shaneandkatie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

UPDATE!!! --House painting finished.

I appreciate all of the ideas and advice! I still wanted my cream house with white shutters though, so we went with it against the advice of some of you and I have to tell you, I LOVE it so I'm so happy that we did :) We chose Valspar "Quite Red" for the door and it is PERFECT! I now spend every morning and most afternoons on our front porch. I plan to add some orange/yellow hanging baskets of flowers next and a row of red/deep purple flowers along the front. Thank you again for door color ideas!

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Looks lovely. Quietly elegant :)

• PRO
    Kovac Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

The best design is always the one that makes you smile the biggest! So, mission accomplished! :0) Enjoy your porch!!

• tklyon
    7 years ago

Mary Jane Rehm Color Consulting, what is the brand/color for the periwinkle that you use?