Shop Products
liasch

Displaying objects in small home

Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400 square feet, cottage style pitched roof, in which I am putting arts and crafts style windows. My sons tell me I have too much stuff. To be clear, this stuff is not dollar store; it is antiques, family heirlooms, Japanese ceramics my dad bought in 1948, lovely gifts from friends, etc. I have been downsizing and still have a lot of nice things, which I currently seasonally rotate through my house. I am also an artist, as well as other members of my family, and friend, so I have boatloads of original art...I am not a minimalist, but how can I make my house look less full of things, and still enjoy what I have? Houzz peeps...I will post some pics and maybe get some advice... :) btw the furniture arrangement pics are not current; will post more pics; this just gives a sense of the space and problem...

Comments (45K)

• 3 days ago

Loved it! I meant to recommend it to Lia, as she grew up in Maine, and now is in NS.

• 3 days ago

Max the cat has hitched rides on top of students’ backpacks, participated in campus tours and more than once has sauntered into a psychology lecture at Vermont State University’s Castleton campus.

The 5-year-old tabby is even listed on the staff roster at the university, where he has his own email address. So it seemed like an obvious next step when the university bestowed an honorary doctor of ‘litter-ature’ degree upon him, making him officially part of the graduating class of 2024, in addition to being a staff member.

• 3 days ago

Adorable!

• 3 days ago

My plan (after catastrophizing what might happen if I drove my own car) was to ride with my husband and it turned out to be a great idea. He was actually alert and drove very well and while the traffic was bad because they closed one of the two bridges, it was not impossible. We managed to actually get to our seats on time just as the show was opening. And my son got absolutely the best tickets I’ve ever had to see Cirque du Soleil. here are some shots of the acts we saw…(although they were not taken with my phone obviously.)

• 3 days ago

The storyline is a clown who dies and goes to heaven and his circus goes on to perform without him… But in the end they see him riding across the sky with angel wings, on his bicycle. I cried at the end…

• 3 days ago

I have seen that book although I haven’t read it. I will have to check it out since it comes so highly recommended by you peeps! The online Facebook book group that I belong to also recommended this recently.

• 3 days ago

Lia the show looks wonderful! Mom took me to many broadway shows in New York when I was a kid. At first I would complain then I began to realize just how powerful and marvelous they were to see and looked forward and enjoyed every one we went to. Great your ride and seats worked out for you 💗

• 3 days ago

I’ve seen Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, Pippin, The Whiz and cannot count the many times to see Nutcracker Suite.

• 3 days ago

I will tell you my stepfather took us to Philly for one of the prize fights, cannot remember who was in the boxing ring, but mom took us out early bc we were up front and it was too much blood 😬

• 3 days ago

What a wonderful experience, lia, and your son's tickets were the icing on the cake! Thank you for sharing with us... 🌟

We have a large Civic Center' that back in the 70s and 80s used to bring in big name stars and acts like Cirque but a few years ago - and I don't recall the reasoning - it was turned over, or more likely sold, to Florida State University where it's now the home court for their men's and women's basketball teams. All the local high schools and FSU hold their graduation ceremonies there (the other two local college/universities use their own facilities) but that's about it. Maybe there was some mismanagement and loss of revenue - not sure - but none of those big star acts come here anymore. Country music folks might come to town but not the 'A' list stars and even then they usually perform at an outdoor concert space in a downtown park. The University puts on plays and sponsors lectures, etc. in their on-campus facilities, but we no longer get any of the 'world tour'-type entertainment. The closest venue is in Jacksonville and that's 175 miles East or Pensacola which is 175 miles West.

Interesting fact: that's how Tallahassee became the state capitol. In 1824 a group of riders started out from Pensacola and rode East and another group rode West from Jacksonville and the midway meeting spot was a location which, at the time, had a flourishing waterfall and that's where they decided to place the capitol city. And Tallahassee as the capitol of Florida was born.

• 3 days ago

I think this will make you smile. Way fair has a large variety of 'cat residences' (cat houses sounds kinda 'X' rated) for folks who really, really, really can't do enough for their cats.

Be sure and scroll down beyond this one to see the variety of things you can buy for your beloved feline... 😊

https://www.wayfair.com/Archie-and-Oscar™--Monte-Outdoor-Cat-House-with-Raised-Floor-X119677782-L2250-K~W008566671.html?refid=GX699490459336-W008566671_1182862112&device=c&ptid=&network=d&targetid=&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=195292869&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=1182862112&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JjTyZjQhgMVC63RBB03QgnFEAEYASACEgKpIfD_BwE

• 3 days ago

My uncle John used to box in Iowa I won't name my city in his young days

• 3 days ago

Maui disappointed me today I walked away from my salad bowl for 2 minutes at the most and came back and she was licking my bowl it had French dressing I took it away from her and I said to her mine and she gave me a disgusted look but she hasn't got sick yet least I finish my salad when I walked away I was making my grandmother's pancakes and I was hungry so I had a salad you know the Apple ones and they are made from yeast and it takes a while to cook in a while to cut those apples up of course my son peeled them for me he was slow at it but I didn't want to overwork my hand cuz I had to chop it up but they're easy to chop other than the core the car is harder to chop and throw away the core but they were good and then we had some sausage with it and grape jelly I think I was overloaded and sugar! But I spread it thin I had to have some I only had two they were kind of small ones the guys had four each

• 3 days ago

Jay, that is a sad blow for the arts in your area. What is your population? That is our problem here, although we do still get the occasional decent show in the Scotia Center I believe as venues go it is on the small size.

• 3 days ago

Sounds delicious, Happy and Maui agrees! …lol.

My son also treated us to dinner after the show…I had mussels in the shell with a delicious tomato and wind reduction…never had that combo, and I was quite taken with it.

• 3 days ago

Alice, great early exposure to theatre…lucky you! I love going but it’s an hour each way, tickets are pricey, and so I rarely go. Parking in Halifax has become more difficult as well, driving at night problematic, so all this adds up to not going. I should make an effort though…maybe with my YS who enjoys theatre also.

• 3 days ago

Lol on the cat houses…Alice, you need one of these!

• 3 days ago

I do Lia! Rally I do :). We were lucky and at intermission we scoped the place. So neat to see the old theaters and always got in areas we were not supposed to lol. Living in that area near Philly in Allentown we were in New York and up to Buffalo, quite beautiful I must say, and down to Delaware areas with visits with parents and the school field trips quite often and the New Jersey board walk every summer. Once to Bermuda with family vacation. I was fortunate to get these experiences 💗

• 3 days ago

I’de guess this was in the 70’s?

• 2 days ago

lia, not a huge city but not small, either. 205,000.

• 2 days ago

I should get one of these. The wood one thought they would claw to death!

• 2 days ago

.

• 2 days ago

Jay, Our metro area is about twice the size of your city and we don’t often get big names here either. And there is an international airport readily accessible so that’s also not the issue. I suspect it’s the size of the venue. The Scotia centre seats a little over 10,000 people and I have seen names like Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan and Blue Rodeo perform there. However, it’s not common to have big names here…No Taylor Swift concerts…lol. Quite possibly, in Tallahassee’s case, the reason that it had to be transferred over to the universities, was simply the inability of the venue to attract money making performances, from the viewpoint of the performers. There’s only so many booking dates available and of course, a performer is going to want to maximize their income, per performance.

• 2 days ago

I love live theater and performances…When I was a teen, my mum took us to see Yul Brynner in one of his last performances in the King and I. That was my senior year in Houston. When we lived in CT, the public high school used to take us into Broadway once or twice a year…I’ve seen Beatlemania and Chorus Line…and Cats when I was in college…I’ve seen Shakespeare plays….and Hamilton, with the original cast! Here in Maine, Beloved and I saw George Carlin in one of his last performances before he died. I’m not a movie person…but live theater gets me!

• 2 days ago

Fiss, I also love live theater. I’m really fortunate here in Halifax that we actually have a long-standing and very active theatre and theatre community. When I lived in town I managed to get out to the theatre a lot. I am realizing I need to make an effort to do so again.

• 2 days ago

OH and I prefer matinees so that’s what we do when possible. We dislike driving at night if we can help it.

• 2 days ago

Amanda that’s exactly why I went to the matinee for Cirque du Soleil. Driving at night won’t be a thing until I get my cataracts removed.

• yesterday

Four lanterns were delivered today this is front and back shots. The new napkins while a bit fussy to work with are quite good.

• yesterday

And I got an order from the local Sand Castle competition in August for three of these small paintings; so thank you very much everybody for all your help. I have to fit a Sandcastle in there somewhere… L O L shouldn’t be too difficult

• yesterday

That is beautiful l i a the lanterns and the sand castle congrats on your sales if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me you have taller lanterns and shorter lanterns are they glass or plastic they're so beautiful?

• yesterday

Lia congrats. Lanterns are gorgeous. No doubt these shall sell, so happy for you. They all look beautiful

• yesterday

Wow RRed! Isn’t hot up there? The heat and humidity down here means we are outside asap. And try to finish before 10 a.m.

Lia, you lanterns are beautiful! Congratulations on the sale of your small paintings!😀

• yesterday

I just tried to cancel a streaming service for over an hour, on line. 😤 OH, comes home and asks goo gle for the customer service phone no. I call and she gets it canceled in less than 5 minutes. Why don’t they just give us the phone no in the first place? 😤

• yesterday

Oooh, what fun eye candy! The rope makes a huge difference on the round paintings.

• yesterday

Happy there’s three different sizes… The shorter ones that are wider and then a medium size and then a very tall size which I don’t make anymore. So yes your eyes are not deceiving you there’s two sizes here. And they are glass.

• yesterday

Gls Probably they don’t give you the phone number because if they did they have to hire more people to answer the phone. Doing stuff online can be super frustrating.

• yesterday

You do beautiful work, Lia!

• 21 hours ago

AM garden bouquet…still brrr…

Thanks, Amanda!

• 18 hours ago

Car fixed… $500 for parts and labour which was on the lower end of the spectrum I was anticipating… And then add $75 in tax. For those of you who think you might like to live in Canada… Ha ha ha

• 18 hours ago

A lovely table setting and flowers and teacups

• 17 hours ago

Lia, that was one of the main reasons that my OH's family wanted to move from Canada...they lived there for 10 years..I've only lived there for a year and while I really liked Montreal as a city, all those taxes were insane

• 16 hours ago

Over the years there have been several interesting discussions about taxes in Canada… while they are high there seem to be lots of benefits that are taken for granted…which we do not have here..same as England

• 14 hours ago

Lia, the bouquets are gorgeous!🥰

• 14 hours ago

When you calculate what private health insurance costs…and then medical care overall….”taxes “ are not that low in this country.

• 3 hours ago

Fiss, you have a point there about the private health insurance. But, like everywhere, we are struggling with providing enough doctors for everybody… free medical care is great… If you can get it when you need it. Right now, a lot of people are paying and not receiving benefits in anything that resembles a timely fashion. =(.

Nova Scotia has one of the highest tax rates in the country on income and real estate. And then there’s the 15% goods and services tax which flays you on absolutely everything. However, that’s the price one pays for living in a small province with a low population density. And I get views like this just down my road.🥰

I went to a book club last night at my local church bookstore. We were discussing Virginia Woolf’s “The Waves”. A personal longtime favorite. Anybody read that?

• 1 hour ago

I'm with fiss on this one. The grass is always greener.... There are waits over here as well. Even if you have the "good" insurance. (along with the huge co-pays and deductibles) Now they're selling people on concierge care. Everybody I know grumbles.

Onto a happier subject...that was a beautiful gift from your son. What an experience!

• 1 hour ago

From the backyard

• 1 hour ago

By the way, visited the my new doctor once for yearly check-up last august, after my doc moved out west. (I really liked her) New doc already left the practice...need another again. That also seems to be a thing.

• 34 minutes ago

Yes, I have a doctor here. I’m one of the lucky ones, but I’ve had to go through the revolving door phenomenon as well. And speaking of doctors… Just venting here… Do you remember my book club last night? Well, fortunately, not right next to me, but across the circle from me,was a friend of mine, who is rapidly moving into the acquaintance category. She came to the book club sick as a dog… At first I thought she had allergies but no, she was sneezing and coughing (at least she sneezed into her scarf, but she was clearly sick)... and she hadn’t even read the book. I messaged her today and found out that she hadn’t even tested herself for Covid. Fantastic. 10 people in that circle could all have been exposed just due to her complete thoughtlessness. What is wrong with people? The government has clearly stated if you are sick STAY HOME. 😑😡

• 13 minutes ago

OK rant over. I’ll keep you posted. I suggested to her that she test herself and get back to me with the results. In the meantime, my son and daughter-in-law‘s wedding anniversary is coming up and the last thing I want to do is expose them to anything.

Michelle, those are my favourite hydrangeas and I can’t grow them here in that wonderful colour range. I’m not sure why not maybe it’s the zone? People have said you can do it with the right kind of soil but I’ve given it a shot and they don’t survive the winter. I’ll just have to enjoy them in photographs!