licksch

Displaying objects in small home

licksch
last modified: January 3, 2017

Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400 square feet, cottage style pitched roof, in which I am putting arts and crafts style windows. My sons tell me I have too much stuff. To be clear, this stuff is not dollar store; it is antiques, family heirlooms, Japanese ceramics my dad bought in 1948, lovely gifts from friends, etc. I have been downsizing and still have a lot of nice things, which I currently seasonally rotate through my house. I am also an artist, as well as other members of my family, and friend, so I have boatloads of original art...I am not a minimalist, but how can I make my house look less full of things, and still enjoy what I have? Houzz peeps...I will post some pics and maybe get some advice... :) btw the furniture arrangement pics are not current; will post more pics; this just gives a sense of the space and problem...

Comments (13K)

• zazfuzzroc

Yes... I found it...lol :)

Beautiful new book Licksch, such a special gift. I would have loved something like that when I was little... I'm sure he loves it. :)

Btw, in the last pic...you got the perfect angle on that shot, the caterpillar looks so excited to read the book... :)

• licksch

“This is my favourite book,” said the baby penguin

The baby penguin and the caterpillar looked and found all the numbers hidden in the snow. “There is the number two,” said the baby penguin.

“Look at this water wheel! When Alex comes here he will pour water in and make it go!”

“I want to play with this crane,” said the baby penguin.

“Right now it’s quiet time,” said Fresh Belly. “I am turning on the special quiet time candle.”

So the caterpillar and the baby penguin snuggled in their pink blanket and had quiet time while they waited for Alex to come and live in his new house with his mom and dad.
    THE END

Need recommendation for wall color and how to maximize display in a small space

Are you selling the items in your booth, or are they just for display (for future sales)? If you are selling the actual items make sure they have a price tag somewhere on them. As the day gets busy people who want to know the cost may not be able to reach you, as you may be busy elsewhere. Keep things within easy reach. Allow walking space between items. If your customers can't get to your goods, they can't buy them, right? Breakable items should be displayed on higher shelves. Soft goods on the lower shelves. Think "kids in strollers" and distracted moms. Make use of the ceiling beams. Hang everything you can, but the bottom of the object should be high enough not to hit a customer's head.

Need help with small home office space in bedroom

Hi---I'd have fun with this little nook and make the most of it. How about wallpapering the back wall-adding floating shelves (glass perhaps), resale desk (paint white or whatever color you prefer), and some nice furnishings. Pic for inspiration---situate desk how depicted in photo---leaving room on the left for easy access. Good Luck! [houzz=]

Need help with living room furniture layout

Eclectic Update! This helped me so much just to get moving on this project so thank you thank again:) The couch is moved to a sunroom (currently snow room) and a modern beige pottery barn love seat will be arriving soon, I've chosen a rug after looking at 1000's and am having this retro motel pool art on 40x40" canvas for over the fireplace. The rug is square as is the canvas and the circular motif is played out in many objects in the room from the bakelite and old marble collection under the coffee table glass to the vintage dr's office floor lamps. Here's the rug and art, I'll be posting room pics as soon as everything arrives....

How are Houzzers feeling about non design threads on Houzz?

I think when threads go off topic it's fine. After all we got together because we are interested it renovation and creative design. Getting rid of clutter. And upgrading dowdy kitchens and horrid bathrooms. Nice to tell people and get advice and opinions. If a little family history creeps in, who cares? often it's related to the topic.
  • licksch

There you have it. Obviously the book, the crane, and the quiet time candle were all a big deal when they came and visited in July.

I’ll probably print this one out at some point and add to it when they actually come… There will be the moment when Alex walks in the door in his new house. I plan to have them waiting for him!

• licksch

Haha...yes, Zaz... that is what I love about the caterpillar. It’s amazingly expressive to work with. I love that particular shot for exactly the same reason. It’s actually a lot of fun posing these stuffed animals. You should try it with some of Tiny’s bears... it is bears that he likes isn’t it?

• zazfuzzroc

He does like bears, he recently got a chicken though...lol it's hilarious, you need to peek on my thread and see the photo of it. :)

I did a book like this once... but no, it wasn't my idea... it was something for school and it was with the middle minion, not Tiny. He was actually in the photos with the bear. (I believe it was a bear) They brushed their teeth together, ate at the table together..etc. :) It was fun to do.... but is not as good as yours. Ours was homework...lol no one likes homework..lol

• licksch

Ladma... arrival date is August 28. Just two weeks! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas… LOL

• licksch

Zaz, I did see the chicken on your thread! I love it. Can you give me the brand?

• zazfuzzroc

Sure Licksch, and here's a pic... just to share with everyone, so they know what we're talking about.

And here's the tag... :)

• BLee

Your book, Licksch, is a genuine example of a much overused word ... charming. Alex is a fortunate young man!

• licksch

Awww...thank you, peeps! I’m glad you like the three footer’s story book!

Sun sun and more sun in the forecast here so I am on water saving mode.

Here is the latest flower bouquet… The best thing about summer. Yes, Gls, lots of time in the garden when I have the energy for it. I’m starting to structure the hot mess on the hill where the trees came down a couple years ago. It doesn’t look like much now but it will. There’s good bones in the landscape there.

This author I’m reading with the settings in ancient Egypt… I recommend her.I’m now on my third book that I picked up in the free books library.

• zazfuzzroc

Beeeautiful Licksch! ❤

Flo Mangan

Your arrangements are lovely. So nice to have things from your yard! All you hard work is paying off!

• happyleg

So pretty & cozy.

• Nora

P4p

• marjie1059

I want a quiet time with my blanket and little friends who are so jolly!!

Honestly, licksch, that is the cutest thing ever....and then you said you want them there waiting for him when they walk in....

My little grandma heart goes, Awwwwwww!!!

Beautiful flower arrangements, as always. I don't think I'm a true gardener....I"m tiring of bringing flowers to Mom and throwing out the old ones; tiring of weeding and moving and digging and....tired of mosquitoes and poison ivy and weeds and mowing the lawn(s)--though I am VERY grateful for YS teaming up with me to accomplish the task both here and at Mom's.....I'm just tired.

And I'm swamped with financial things for Mom that need to be done ASAP, things for YS's last year of home education ASAP, and he just bought his first car today (they never know what to say when a teenager/young adult declines any mention of financing and says, no, I'm paying cash)....

So I'll let my flowers stay where they are and let the neighbors enjoy them....I'll enjoy your flower photos. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us. <3

• licksch

Marje, I think gardeners get tired the exuberance of nature about the beginning of August if not sooner. I rarely garden this month or in July for that matter it's just too hot. However I had a couple of things that wouldn't wait... my young neighbour down the street came and did some weed whacking for me so then I was inspired also.

It's great when our kids grow up to be financially responsible and successful isn't it? I felt that way about my son buying his first house in his 30s. :)

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Hoping that you can take some time to enjoy the rest of the summer, with whatever activities you find restorative. It's very easy to get swept up into all the things that we need to get done and don't take time for ourselves to put our feet up with a glass of iced tea to just appreciate the season.

This is the first time in awhile I've actually had stretches of days with no commitments pencilled in on my calendar. It takes some getting used to actually. I've been immersed in a series of novels set in ancient Egypt. What a very strange reality and culture that was.

• Michele

Licksch, that had me smiling ear to ear. That is the cutest thing ever! What a way to express your love! It’s really beautiful

• glschisler

The book for Alex is sooo pretty and wonderful for him. Too bad we can’t all see his expression when he sees them! And your flowers are lovely as always ;)

• marjie1059

Thank you, licksch, for your kind words....It's funny...I am on this thread at this moment because I am literally procrastinating on two very annoying jobs, things that MUST be mailed today.....and when I go to the post office to mail them, I will also purchase YS's gift and card for his 18th--which is today...Nothing like doing things ahead, right?!

Oh, my. But you gave me motivation to 1. note that the info I originally looked for 20" ago online is not there and 2. get off the computer, and fill out the paperwork to be mailed!!

• Depo

Marjie, Happy birthday to YS! Wow, 18! I remember when we all "met", it seems like yesterday!

• licksch

They grow up way too fast. Both of my sons are in their 30s now… The 20s are tumultuous years, just FYI… Ha ha ha.

• licksch

Just in case you think parenting comes to an end when they walk out the door. It’s definitely not the case.

• jayapple21

Licksch, I have an idea! What if you buy a small 4"x6" photo album and turn it into a book of your stories for your GS. I think you can find albums this size lots of places, maybe even a drug store. Use page 1 as a title page and/or dedication page followed on the next page by a photo on the left side and the text (in large print) on the right page. You can make a delightful book for your GS and it will be plastic covered pages. Then when you make up the next story, you just add it. I print all my 4x6 photos on my home printer - can you do that? If you have Dollar Trees up there, you can even buy photo paper for $1/pack. I think this would be a wonderful way to preserve your stories so that they can be read over and over and over.... Here's the kind of album I'm thinking of: https://www.amazon.com/WLC-Journal-Pockets-Giraffe-Pictures/dp/B07S728C59/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2WUA9X8N40KC9&keywords=small+photo+album+4x6&qid=1565978054&s=gateway&sprefix=small+photo+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTEMxMVNUVlpGQVA5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTUwOTI4MTdVM0tOUjZPVjRGRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ0Mzg3MjRIVUlLSTBJTzBOSCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• ladma

My gladioli are blooming, as is my hybiscus. I found 1 lonely hydrangea blossom hiding in the back of the bush.

• licksch

Actually, Jay, this is the third book I have done and the other two are done as actual photo albums. I haven’t had time to do this one as a photo album but I will eventually. The 4 x 6 format is the one I use and I just buy inexpensive albums at the dollar store. Each album holds one or two stories depending on how long I make them.

I type up the text and cut and paste with the photographs and then photocopy the whole thing. So there are two copies… They have one and I have the original.

Here are a few pages from the second story I made.

• licksch

Ladma, your Gladiolas are making me regret that I didn’t plant any this year.

It’s great that you actually got a hydrangea bloom. My blue hydrangeas did not survive and I’ve given up on trying to grow them.

My white one is doing great though…

• glschisler

Beautiful flowers Ladma. I am envious ;)

• glschisler

Licksch, those books are so cool !

• ladma

I love the color of this hydrangea, but I only get 1 or 2 blossoms each year. It’s usually in the back where the frost and/or the deer don’t get it. I’m actually thinking of moving it to the south side of the house, where we cut down some yews. It might like it better there, and if it doesn’t flower, it’s a nice big green shrub. We cut down all the yews that were foundation plantings. They were over grown, and the deer loved them. I’m tired of wrapping them and trying every trick to protect them. A landscaper friend will some in a few weeks and dig the stumps out. Then in the spring I’ll plant something new. I need to get my inside house back together before I start a new project.

• licksch

I was thinking covering it with snow in the winter might protect it but it’s quite possible that it’s the spring frosts that are killing the blossoms.

Gls... have you and OH recovered from your cruising? I keep thinking I should go and have a lobster lunch at the salmon river house.

• jayapple21

Licksch, the books are wonderful! You probably mentioned them before and the idea stuck in the back of my mind somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

• fissfiss

I will rip my supposedly everblooming hydrangeas out this fall....everblooming seems to mean if I feel like it, occasionally...maybe every third year I will give you hope.

• licksch

Lol...Fiss..... Sometimes they can breed the goodness right out of things.

Flo Mangan

This thread had duplicated! It is blooming more than the ever blooming hydrangeas!

• Pugga70

Following????

• BLee

Excited by all these luscious flowers my butterfly leapt into action, but got distracted by a new chair.

• licksch

It’s a good thing I put the screen up. My hydrangeas have really gone to town this year.

I love your butterfly pillow! I’d love to get one for The three footer. Where did you get it?

• Nora

Licksch, your hydrangeas are absolutely gorgeous. On bloom would make a beautiful arrangement.
    Blee, I am so inspired by your new home. Love the butterfly pillow.

• glschisler

Licksch, your Hydrangeas are gorgeous. And no, I am very slowly recovering from time changes and jet lag. My neighbor who was gone for 16 days on a Mediterranean cruise, is also hitting the bed every night at nine o’clock. ;) Fiss, your hydrangeas are too funny.

• BLee

Butterfly fluttered into my arms at my pay-by-the-pound store. No tag to identify source. New, high quality, clean ... why did someone send it off to the Goodwill, and why did GW junk it instead of selling it from a regular thrift store, I wonder. Too unusual, maybe? I bought two of those comfortable chairs at Ikea, 1/2 price, but second one would crowd the room so will exchange it for other needed items, like meatballs. Relieved - it was a simple assembly but the provided tool - small and slippery - turned what would have been a 10 minute screwdriver job into a 50 minute ordeal requiring some rare ibuprofen for hand pain and a gulp of pink stuff to protect my tummy.

I have never seen white hydrangea - pretty special!

• licksch

The Added Touch has two butterfly pillows on sale as it turns out for $12 each. If anybody is coveting a butterfly pillow.

I’m tempted to buy the blue one for the three footer but I’m afraid his mother won’t like it. It might be not her style.

• BLee

Thank-you, Nora. At nearly 80 years I have downsized thoroughly and am experimenting with “cheerful minimalism”. Both the limited furnishings and the bright colors are an entirely new style for me and I am delighted with the simple, easy-going mood.

• licksch

I think yours is nicer though. Mowed the back lawn this evening and the Noseeum’s are out. A.k.a. midges.

Ugh.

• indomom

Just get one of the pillows for your house, L. You can add him/her to the storybook!

• licksch

Actually I was thinking of buying one and taking the stuffing out of it and making wings for the caterpillar or for Alex.

I hadn’t thought of making the butterfly part of the story. In the books the caterpillar can fly because he has secret hidden butterfly wings that he can call upon if he needs to even though he’s not a butterfly… Yet.

• happyleg

I have a butterfly pillow,not as pretty as yours. Mine is just cute.

Flo Mangan

I just love the metaphor of the caterpillar and butterfly. Really creative and creates great opportunity for teaching some basic life lessons too! Beautiful!

• Michele

I searched for “monarch butterfly pillow”. There’s one by iConcern that looks a lot like that one, which is really nice Blee.
    By the way, I can no longer “like” comments. I try. It looks like it works but it disappears. For a couple of weeks now. ??

• licksch

Flo, you are exactly right. That was definitely intended to be a metaphor of transformation. Inside every caterpillar is a potential butterfly and inside every child are a set of wings. As I watched my grandson struggle to master new things and grow into the adult he will become, the idea came to me of how significant the caterpillar is as a metaphor.

Conveniently he already had a relationship with his caterpillar!

• ladma

Michele, the vanishing likes have joined the vanishing pictures with the latest app update. Licksch, I love your metaphor comparing a caterpillar and a child developing their wings.