Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_garza

How do we keep birds away from our porch?!!!

10 years ago
We recently painted our cement walkway and sealed it. It's been holding up fine to many rain storms, but the birds are here. And they're pooping. And its a DAILY battle of having to power spray the walkway to the front door everytime I come home from work :( What sucks even more is that what I thought was a well-sealed painting project is already being affected by the bird droppings. In one spot the paint came off ..grrrr. So, we LOVE hearing the birds. In fact we go outside to bird watch and often take pics of them.. We have beautiful bluebirds and canaries and even some red birds ..just so pretty, but not their poop ;) What can we do?

We aren't interested in killing them so don't recommend that haha. Just need some real good advise on what we can do to deter them from crapping all over my front entry! Here's a pic of our kiddo doing this daily chore -- he actually enjoys this part because he always gets to spray mom and dad and water the flower too.

Comments (49)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    You can try to put up a plastic owl although that'll probably keep them away altogether.
  • 10 years ago
    Rubber snakes can help, as well as something that moves randomly and frightens them, If the movement is not random, they'll adjust and ignore it. What is above the walkway that they're sitting on? Eliminate it or use wire to block their access. Also, you can make them a more attractive area away from the house with a birdbath, houses, feeder stations, etc. Give them a reason to move on.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Are they pooping from a perch (roof edge, eave or tree), while feeding on the ground, or just dive-bombing?

Fine clear fishing line stretched in the air randomly should work for in the space where you don't want them flying. Bird control spikes on surfaces where they land should take care of them perching. Getting rid of the parasites in your lawn that they feed on (probably grubs) will keep them off your lawn, as will any variety of things that move (like little windmills, flags, etc.)
  • 10 years ago
    I like the idea of adding anything that doesn't detract from the curb appeal I'm desperately trying to add. I'm open to bird baths and feeders. I believe they are preaching on the very top of our roof by our door. since we don't have a roof over the actual door itself (that's a DIY project must have because when it rains our front door is pelted) well this makes for a perfect poop target. I will post a closer pic this afternoon.
  • 10 years ago
    We had a similar situation and layed a rubber snake on the roof where they were perching. Had to move the snake around a bit to keep them fooled. they finally gave up.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Put some feeders and baths as far from the house as possible and maybe figure out what is attracting them to the house maybe bugs in your eavestroughs or in atree near the house, they are there for a reason. We have hundreds of birds in our yard and they rarely come near the house , we have feeders and baths set up in a few places.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    There's a product that you can apply to the edges of the gutter/porch or whatever they are perching on that makes it sticky so the birds stop landing there. I can't recall the name but think it was something like "tanglefoot." It's not sticky enough to trap them, but they will avoid areas that are treated with it because it is unpleasant for them to have to clean it off their feet/feathers. It might have to be applied a few times before they are trained to avoid the areas you want them to avoid, but it is used in industrial applications like the hospital where I work because we can't have birds nesting or hanging out on the window-ledges because their droppings can contain diseases that our immune compromised patients would not be able to deal with. http://www.contech-inc.com/products/home-and-garden-products/bird-repellents/tanglefoot-bird-repellent

Rubber snakes and fake owls only work temporarily unless you move them around every day. My grandfather tried to use the rubber snakes in his blueberry patch to keep the birds from getting all the berries - they ganged up on the snakes and pecked them to pieces! Some types of birds like crows will gang up on owls and attack them also.
  • 10 years ago
    We don't have gutters so I'm thinking it must be insects or something attracting them. And its crazy because its this ONE spot right by the front door. They don't poop along the length of the walkway, just the direct path to the door. I"ll try feeders and an attractive birdbath. Based on the image of the house where do you recommend placement? We plan on adding some seating to the area underneath the big staircase window. I thought about placing one there but now I'm thinking I'll just fuel the problem.
  • 10 years ago
    Hi Erica. It is hard for me to judge the distance of the tree in your front yard to the walkway that is getting bombed so much. Is it possible the birds are just resting on the outer branches of the tree? Do any branches come close to the walkway? And it is possible that on their way to take refuge in the tree, the mess just drops as they glide in. Perhaps I missed something in one of your comments.

If you put in a birdbath or feeder, you will get many more birds visiting your home. Especially with a feeder. I personally would not encourage that unless you have a rather large lot but either way, more will come.

I personally have two birdbaths, one in my side yard and one in my backyard and of course there are droppings to deal with. I attempted a feeder in the backyard when first moving here (we have a very small lot) and it was a disaster as far as dropping go. Birds waited all over the house and yard and it was a mess to say the least. Feeder went bye bye.
  • 10 years ago
    you may be onto something. the tree branches DO extend out over the walkway. and this tree has been trimmed back so none of the branches touch the house so looks like they're happening from there. sigh. here are a few more views. what can I do if that's the case? anything?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Install a cat...but that just gets weird if you have it outside on a leash (that's a joke). I would say you are having issues because of the tree. Unless you remove the tree, this will continue to be an issue. I don't suggest that...but it is probably what the birds are perching on. Where they perch...they poop.

And bird droppings are known to etch automobile paint because of the chemical make up. What is happening to the paint is probably par for the course...There are very few products that can withstand anything but the occasional droppings/washings.
  • 10 years ago
    First, figure out what species of birds are causing the problem. One size does not fit all when repelling birds. If you can't identify, there will be people from your DNR who can help you. Not all bird poop presents the same result, as the poop depends on what they eat. If you can narrow the problem to a specific species they will also be able to tell how to solve this problem otherwise you will try a lot of generic things that won't work.
  • 10 years ago
    there are so many cats roaming here I'm amazed we even have birds lol. for the record we only have a Yorkie.

I feel dumb asking but what's a DNR?
    I am hoping they'll find a new favorite area to perch on. even when we add a roof right above the door it leaves that entire length open to target.
  • 10 years ago
    Dept. Of natural resources = DNR
  • 10 years ago
    That would be your state's Department of Natural Resources. You could also contact your Agricultural Extension Division. These agencies deal with questions about birds, bird damage, etc. all the time. I really think you need to talk to a bird expert.

Up north here, our biggest questions are usually about woodpeckers going after insects in the siding. But they don't perch there, so droppings are not a problem. They can really tear up your siding, though!
  • 10 years ago
    Does the tree have fruits or flowers? If so it is providing a food source which will increase the problem. Fruits are an obvious food source. But many birds also eat flowers for nectar in the spring when they are migrating back to their summer homes. It is a concentrated source of calories.
  • 10 years ago
    For a minute all I could think of was Do Not Resuscitate!! LOL
  • 10 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's the branches now that you have posted those pics. Not anything to do but keep the tree trimmed back and maybe just on that side, but then the balance would be off. That's a pretty tree btw.

I was originally thinking the eaves around your house was the problem and you could buy those bird spikes to put along the edges. They sell clear plastic ones at Lowe's. $20 for six to eight of them, my neighbor just bought some for her perimeter wall because her dogs get up there and have fallen off. She has a corner fireplace and they just go up along the side.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Erica Garza thanked unwantedadvice
  • 10 years ago
    In the meantime for cleaning...pour white vinegar on the droppings and let it sit for a while before you clean. It makes removal much easier.
    Erica Garza thanked ambrozia
  • 10 years ago
    soooooooooo Hubby thinks he knows whats bringing them to our door. June bugs. We have them and they come at night when we have our porch light on. So those birds know its a morning feast. Last night we didn't turn it on..this morning our walkway is clean.

well DARN IT! I really prefer to have the light on for just peace of mind I guess (even though we live in a quiet neighborhood). If its the june bugs being attracted to the light, is there something I can do to make those suckers go away? We turned on the porch light in the back...guess what was there. SMDH. Guess they're tasty *gag*
  • 10 years ago
    See if getting one of those yellow light bulbs in your fixture makes a difference. I've never used them, but they are sold with the premise that they don't attract bugs to your porch...

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/outdoor-house-lighting-that-keeps-bugs-away#.U2EUd1ea9KU
  • 10 years ago
    June bugs (many different species under that category) are very attracted to light. Try one of the yellow bulbs that Jessica recommended. Be grateful if birds are eating them because they can cause a lot of damage. The grub phase will eat the roots of your lawn grasses and the adults eat foliage and flowers. Contact your state extension division for advice (search your state+extension division on google).
  • 10 years ago
    We have a yellow (bug) light installed on our front porch, in the recessed can. It stays on all night, and it truly keeps all the bugs away from the door. No, it's not particularly pretty, and it doesn't emit much light, but it keeps June bugs and moths out while the kids run in and out, and the dog doesn't spend time barking at all the big bugs she can't get!
  • 10 years ago
    I"ll try the yellow bulb first and see how that goes, although yellow light makes my OCD eyes twitch ;) We don't hang out front after sunset , but on the occasion we do head out we are definitely running from the june bug head bombing. We moved in 6 month ago..the yard was essentially DIRT and muddy so we have a variety of grasses in our yard..some of it already going dormant or possibly being affected by the bugs. I don't know enough about grasses to tell. Thanks for all the tips! Lets see what tomorrow brings w/ the new light.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    We have them making nests up under our porch roof... when we go out, they dive bomb our heads! They make me itch and freak out. We have cats around, but unfortunately, they can't fly around and get the birds.
  • 10 years ago
    It seems so odd the architect would have an eave drain onto the walkway to the front door. Reminds me of Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes".
  • 10 years ago
    that was my thought too!

this same home is built on another block and for that house there is a small roofline just right above the front door. it's nothing more than a 45 degree slope roof. eventually we want to add to the roofline , but don't like the style on that other house. and I'm no architect so I'm not entirely sure what would look best. we do like modern elements for homes.
  • 10 years ago
    I like these modern porticos but not sure how it would look on our house
  • 10 years ago
    Add bright flowers on the right side of your house to attract them away from the walkway. Once, these birds were crashing into our window (because of their reflection) and we taped up a cat picture to scare them. (Just a random story)
  • 10 years ago
    HI -- Someone suggested an owl decoy --- that won't work because owls hunt at night , so birds have that figured out and are not threatened by it . If you put up a red tailed hawk decoy , that should work because red tails pray on birds during the day. Also there are " scary eye " balloons . Look at page 24 -- in this catalog ---www.StokeSeeds.com NOTE : the one with the lady on the cover ( Canadian customers )
  • 10 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings - It sounds like you may have mockingbirds or catbirds if they divebomb you when you come onto your porch. However, be careful of birds building nests in any part of your home like under the eves. Sparrows are known to build large messy nests out of anything they can carry (primarily grass) and sometimes will pick up cigarette butts before they are extinguished and set the nest on fire. My father used hunks of 2x4 shoved into the crevices sparrows were nesting in on our home to make them go find another place to live.
  • 10 years ago
    We had a bird problem. One day while gardening I took the stereo outside on the porch to play loud music. Then I realized it got rid of the bird problem. They didn't like the loud music. We still had birds but never on the porch anymore.
  • 9 years ago
    I have tried so many products and tricks in the past with no luck. That is until recently whenever I purchased this ultra sonic bird repellent system from Bird-X. They have a lot of problems but I think this one was the answer. Check it out, I think you will be surprised at the results. http://www.bird-x.com/balcony-gard-products-29.php?page_id=103
  • 9 years ago
    How to keep small birds off your porch& messing
  • PRO
    9 years ago

Just listen to Patricia Colwell and that is all you need.

However..... Let's greet your guests out there between the sidewalk and the tree, like in your second photo, bringing to front walk from the city sidewalk and curbside parking. Don't greet them at your garage where they have to maneuver around your car and your kids bicycle.

Bring them into a little welcoming garden with bird feeders and bird bath out there, away from the furniture, of course. From the front garden, let the path weave its way to the front door, making sure they can walk side by side (2' shoulder + 2' shoulder = 4.5'-5' for a comfortable walkway. Then pull the potted plants out so there is room to be greeted and the plants can soak up more sun and rain.

Enjoy (and listen to Pat Colwell, our sage.)

cascio.offsite@gmail.com

• PRO
    9 years ago

You can find something HERE or get a few ideas

Good luck

• 9 years ago

can someone suggest something that doesn't cost a small fortune????

• 9 years ago

Trained Falcons.

• PRO
    9 years ago

you can try ultrasound devices (can work sometimes) or for cheaper CD's... on our side we make Kite System

good luck

• PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are some lovely bird baths to take these birds away from the porch while beautifying your garden simultaneously :)

• 8 years ago

I made a quick scarecrow https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153577847607898&set=a.10151521362007898.1073741825.520182897&type=3

It worked! They left and didn't come back. That's a plastic owl for a head and a rubber snake at the foot.

• 6 years ago

I need some ideas for these birds pooping all over my deck.

• 6 years ago

I would not put in a birdbath because of West Nile Virus.

If you want some water for birds the water should be circulating water that is well-aerated.

• 5 years ago

Motion could help. Invest in some inexpensive pinwheels from the dollar tree to place near where you don't want the birds and add a birdbath and/or posts with brackets and hanging flowerpots well away from the porch to attract bird to that side of the yard.

• 4 years ago

Nothing works. Nothing. I have a robin who messes up my sunroom door and poops all over. I’ve put up foil, plastic wrap and grids with a highlighter. Nothing absolutely nothing works. I’m a slave to my patio furniture and door. Help. I can’t enjoy my patio. I’m cleaning and spraying constantly otherwise it would be unbearably messy with droppings. HELP HELP

• 4 years ago

I’ve also used sonar and he uses them for dropping posts.

• PRO
    last year

I suggest you put a red sign here, most birds will be afraid of it

• last year

Rubber snakes in the closest tree. That has worked for us in the past.