Shop Products
rredpenn

rredpenn
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (140K)

• rredpenn

Lad, I can't remember how many gallons that new tub holds, but we had that even huger garden jet tub before, and it filled up fine with hot water... our water heater is sized for a 4 person household.

I don't think we have ever run out of hot water here. LOL

• pickyvicky

Rred, it’ll be a luxurious soak even in two inches of water! Totally loving your bathroom.

• pickyvicky

In my basement bath I placed a hook and it’s been so convenient. I think there is another one….matching towel bars, TP bar, etc., and I didn’t use it all. Will have to check because another hook for clean clothes to put on is needed….unless the toilet seat is down and that’s where they go. LOL

• mamabear2014

I love, love, love your bathroom!

My daughter is placing hooks in her new bathroom vs towel bars. A couple by the new tub and a couple next to the shower stall. I think they are a wonderful idea. I cannot wait to show you her bathroom/master closet. This is a girl that knows what she wants and wants what she wants! 🥰 That is her design motto.

Congrats Babo!

We got the flooring yesterday for the family room. I cannot wait to yank this old carpeting out! Then we will address the fireplace.

• babophz

Sorry I was vague, I am puzzled by the placement of the hooks, all around the room? And so very neatly spaced. I don't think I have seen that before, is all :-) I have no opinion whatsoever on bars vs hooks.

• Depo

PV, design your home to fit your taste! The last two condos we renovated had black or charcoal floors in the bathroom. DD is blonde and she would just run a cordless stick vac over the floors everyday to pick up the hairs. Easy.

• liasch

Hooks always look good. Towel bars on the other hand always look messy.

• liasch

The only place I would put a towel bar is someplace where you can’t see it from a distance.

PV on the dark floor I would go for it. Just please yourself. If you like it that much you won’t mind doing a little swiffer.

• rredpenn

I'm still having fun figuring out the camera on my latest phone. Now you see it, now you don't!

We went s of downtown to a park we used to hang out in a lot...

On the way, I grabbed a few drive-by shootings for Cyster to consider when making a better replacement for her green barn mailbox... LOL

There was a "book barn."

And this house had some fun playhouse/shed structures! With a mailbox to match!

Oh let's get rid of that trash can... and brighten up the paint a little bit...

The funny shed people had a matching mailbox for Cyster for inspiration, too! LOL

• btydrvn

Just curious..what is the purpose of the “Book Barn”?…very interesting

• rredpenn

It's a "Little Free Library." Leave a book, take a book. Theirs is a "barn" likely bc this is a semi rural area.

My Cyster's smashed up mailbox was a plastic barn-shaped mailbox that the previous homeowner had custom painted green to match the house, which is shaped sort of like a barn too... LOL It was obviously a red barn prior to being painted green. There were bits in the road that showed the red under the green paint.

Currently she has a plain, boring white metal mailbox for now. Sending her the Book Barn and Wonky mailbox pics are just little jokes. But, I'm hoping she will want to jazz the white one up somehow. Perhaps I'll take my outdoor craft paints over there and turn her loose on it. Cyster is a very talented artist.

• fissfiss

So, I think the hooks everywhere come from the Shaker tradition…if you google Shaker communities, you will see pegboards all around a room. They would hang chairs from the pegs, shelves, drying herbs, etc. etc. Beloved likes his towel bar…I am team hook. And I have noticed in our baths with choices, team hook prevails. But our redone family bath in Maine has a new twist…the radiator is the towel bar…very common in the UK, but kinda new in the US. Cue the anticipatory music.

• glschisler

I personally prefer a towel bar here at the very humid beach. OH hangs his shower towel on the hook, but it is never dry the next day. Then I hang it on the towel bar to dry out. I don’t allow wet towels in a dirty clothes heap, because I never know exactly when I will get around to washing the towels. Only dry towels can go in with the dirty clothes basket. I worry about mold and smells growing on the wet towels.

• babophz

Thanks fiss. I have the radiator-towel bar as well, have had one for 20 years. Very common over here and oh so practical. I also have hooks hanging high for clothing, bathrobes and the likes.

• pickyvicky

One thing I love about the basement shower is a clothesline you walk past….and the washing machine is right there, too. The house boiler is also right there heating the space during cold months so wet towels and such dry up nicely before washing. Our main bathroom doesn’t have space for wet towels to effectively dry, nor look neat.

Idk…I may continue to take showers down there and pinch, pinch, pinch myself because some here may remember the basement bath was always the elusive dream. The special upflush toilet I bought for it sat under the basement steps for over ten years. Glad it finally exists but sad hubby never got to experience it in its finished state.

• liasch

A radiator towel bar… how very civilized! Yes, in areas of high humidity I can see a towel bar would be a thing.

• babophz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

LOL, lia, I don't know about civilized, but it is very practical for sure. I had no idea they weren't around a lot across the pond. Maybe in large houses they don't add much comfort? Our bathrooms are generally small so combining functions is a big plus.

• liasch
    yesterday

Babo, my bathroom is minuscule, but I have hot water baseboard, not radiators, so that might be the difference as well. Radiators are substantially less common here.

• rredpenn
    yesterday

With so many hooks, we can do this:

This is how I left it in a hurry this morning for my dentist appointment. LOL

Note it's right over the air vent. Works great! Never had that option before.

Here is my new hamper, in place, and some of my loungewear I took off to shower this morning...

LOVE having hooks everywhere!

I sneaked this photo this morning waiting for my dentist... it seemed so anachronistic to me. LOL

• fissfiss
    yesterday

Newspapers?

• jayapple21
    yesterday

I still get the daily paper (which is like a skeleton of its earlier self) and take it to appts. where I know I will wait. When I’ve finished reading it (doesn’t take long) then I can kill time with the crossword puzzle. I keep a paper grocery bag in the kitchen and when it’s full of papers I take the bag to our Animal Shelter which loves to get them. About a year ago I learned that the Shelter also likes empty TP and paper towel rolls because they put treats in them for the dogs so I bought a small waste basket at the dollar store and toss the empty rolls in it until I go to the shelter. 🐶😺

• ladma
    yesterday

MyBoston Globe e paper subscription is cheaper if I get the hard copy of the Sunday paper, too.

• liasch
    yesterday

I also subscribe to our daily Nova Scotia newspaper although similar to Jay it is a skeleton of its former self.

• glschisler
    yesterday

Our local newspaper comes out weekly. I get it for the tv listings. The paper itself is 3-4 pages, 3 pages additional for high school sports in the county, and several pages of legal jumbo jumbo. Which I read just for fun. There is as online newspaper for the state, with categories of the various cities.

• glschisler
    yesterday

That’s a very nice looking hamper RRed. Those newspapers are like the headline this morning re cell phone services being out. Get a landline was the gest of it.

• glschisler
    yesterday

I went to the dentist yesterday all happy and confident. But the dental tech was poking #14. “ Does that hurt?” No. “ I ‘ m poking deeper, does that hurt? No. So I have and infection under the crown. It requires antibiotics and a root canal through the crown. That appt is March 6. I have several crowns, and have never had a root canal. I must be a freak of nature.🤪

• liasch
    yesterday

Gls…a freak of nature… lol…you must have strong roots that are not inclined to be infected in the first place. Rred, I really like the hamper it has a nice warm touch to the bathroom.

Here in the frozen north it’s all winter all the time. 😵‍💫 all I can do is look at the weather and try to plan accordingly. Life in the fast lane.😑 Sunset over the Inlet. The frozen inlet. -20C the other night.

• nwduck
    yesterday

Duckling auditioned for her elementary school's talent show today. I saw a practice video of her comedy routine last night. She kicked off by saying "Is everybody ready to LAUGH?" What a pro. Her parents asked her how she felt doing the audition. She said "Brave. Curious. And a little bit nervous."

I am so proud of her for trying. She's only in second grade! I hope she makes the cut.

Sure love my little Duckling.

• pickyvicky
    yesterday

Wow Duckie. She’s a hoot, and a natural. Hoping she makes the cut, too. She certainly makes us chuckle here.

Rred….how did your BR experience feel? One less room to fret over.

I’ve never seen newspapers in a dental office, but I guess why not? We had magazines that the pandammit made us remove so I never put them back. We had many people bring their own books and did have a knitter who’d show up with her bag. I subscribe to one of our local papers so they stay alive. The other one can bite the dust as they don’t have local investigative writers anymore and what they print I was getting off X anyway. For the past year I don’t even do social media….except here….i don’t have time (🤣). OB keeps me hopping.

Yesterday I replaced handles on two dressers and I can’t believe the difference! Since I liked the drawer pulls I put on the vanity I decided to try other colors for these two dressers. It’s a wow moment. Since I can’t read millimeters and convert in my head, I bought a wrong size for the vanity at HD. Being curious, I decided to see what they would look like on the bedroom furniture hubby brought into the marriage. Holy moly! If I was keeping the furniture I’d replace all the pulls. It made the country oak furniture look sophisticated.

• glschisler
    yesterday

Today the high is to be 74* :)

Last night we went to a TRIBUTE TO ROCK concert. It was performed by local residents, some profession musicians others their passion. Also a few middle and high school students. It was fabulous! We went last July, and they decided to do the show for the snowbirds. Over 1100 rockers in the audience! They have5 sold out performances for this weekend.

PV, knobs are the easiest, and most fun to change the decor in a room. I have put new knobs on our bedroom furniture and it elevates it!

Nw, be sure to let us know as soon as Duckling get her Netflix show🥰

• rredpenn
    yesterday

I just realized that there are no longer magazines at my dentist's office either. They do have a newspaper available, which kinda cracked me up yesterday obviously... I used to look forward to paging thru their issues of Architectural Digest and Fine Woodworking. LOL Now it's a big TV usually playing HGTV or The Food Channel...

I have to show you something making me insanely happy. It worked!!

That wall is getting something else eventually (soon I hope!), then I'll be "done" in there. But the rainbows from the beehive prism static stickers on the window are making it fun for now. At least at around 8 am in the morning in Feb. LOL We'll see what happens with that when the leaves come out on all the trees. All winter, tho, that window gets great sunshine in the mornings, so I had to capitalize on that. LOL Since they're static stickers, I can move them around, and I haven't even tried to open that window to follow the sun either. LOL

• rredpenn
    yesterday

And it reflects in the giant mirror wall too, so I get a double rainbow in there!

I am so easily amused...

• rredpenn
    yesterday

They are strategically placed, and barely show on the window...

• jayapple21
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I have a newspaper gripe! Our local paper no longer advertises the movies that are in town. I have no idea why. Yesterday I read about Paul Giamatti being nominated for the 'Best Actor' Academy Award for "The Holdovers". I never even knew the movie existed but I would have gone to the theatre to see it. Darn. And I missed the bio-pic on Bernstein, too. I guess you can train yourself to weekly go to the individual theatre listings online but I've never done that - the only time I go to those listings is to find out what times features are showing. Our paper doesn't give us the daily TV listings anymore, either. I guess I'm paying for the crossword puzzle and the daily comics - and even then, I have to go online to read 'Doonesbury'. OK. Taking a deep breath. 🙄 End of rant...

• mamabear2014
    yesterday

Time for a letter to the editor, Jay!

I love the rainbow effect from the prisms, rred. That would make me smile in the morning!

I bet Duckling will rock the audience with laughter!

1/3 of the family room floor is down. He had some tricky cuts and needed to walk away from it yesterday afternoon. So he went fishing and caught a couple bass!

• jayapple21
    yesterday

😊 Just sent an email to the editor, mama. It probably won't make much difference but I did it.

rred, your bathroom renovation is so nice! Go ahead and feel a bit giddy!! You and OH have made such wonderful changes to your home with great design decisions and everything has turned out so well. Thanks for bring us along.

I used to hang crystals in different shapes from the top of the window frame using thin nylon filament and thumb tacks. Loved the rainbows that appeared at certain times of the day. I just came across a small zip lock bag with the crystals in it the other day - may have to put some up again.

I recently had a woodpecker 'find happiness' (or other stuff) in a wooden beam under the roof right outside my bedroom window. That can drive you nuts quickly. I learned online that hanging mirrored disks that catch the light could discourage them. The disks were pretty inexpensive from the rainforest and I connected three disks so they'd dangle and hung four sets of them from the beam. No more woodpeckers (fingers crossed) and rainbows for a bit of time each day. Smiling here...

• ladma
    yesterday

Jay, I watched Bernstein on Netflix, before my shared account went away, and the Holdovers on Peacock. The holdovers was filmed all over Massachusetts. One driving scene was filmed around the corner from D2, and another in the next town over. It was a good movie, didnt love Bernstein.

• ladma
    yesterday

Duckie, I’m impressed the duckling tried out for her talent show, good luck to her!

• samoken
    yesterday

I was in awe of the acting in Bernstein, but that same acting ended up being too intense for my liking. Comedy is a tough thing to do. I think you can nail it or bomb with the same set of jokes depending on the audience.

• babophz
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

LOL, Sam, I read a review that stated that Bradley Cooper was using his arms so vigorously that one could not forget for one moment that one was watching an actor.

• babophz
    22 hours ago

Wow, those prism stickers are so cool!

• liasch
    20 hours ago

I have prisms in a lot of windows and I’ve toyed with giving them to my grandkids but what would really work for them…are these prism stickers. What are they called and where did you get them?

Seems to me, I saw a preview of Bernstein and decided just based on that that I didn’t want to see the movie! Overdone.

Today was cleaning out the pantry cupboard. (That’s up over the stove ) and preparing for 2 inches of rain on top of 2 feet of snow.

• rredpenn
    19 hours ago

They come in many shapes and configurations, Lia. Here is how they are listed on the US Rainforest site. I imagine you can find them there as well. The key words to search- Non adhesive prismatic vinyl window clings

• liasch
    17 hours ago

Thanks Rred!

• rredpenn
    16 hours ago

I should get some for Lurch too. He'd love it!

• pickyvicky
    12 hours ago

Oooooo, Rred. I know what you mean. My front door is a giant prism of glass pieces and the same happens as it’s south facing. Makes me happy.

Lots of things making the PV family happy these days. ❤️

• glschisler
    3 hours ago

Both the nail salon and dentist show HGTV. No reading material. Everyone on their phones.😀

• liasch
    1 hour ago

That’s true… I guess phones have replaced having actual hard-core reading material in waiting rooms. I am always sure that I have my phone with me if I’m going to be sitting around someplace! I think in general phones have replaced reading material and lots of other things like sending letters in the mail. Kind of sad in a way.

• babophz
    56 minutes ago

Still lots of magazines at both my GP's and my dentist's waiting room(s). There's a screen/tv at the doctor's but it only shows medical information.

• nwduck
    9 minutes ago

All the prisms chat made me think of watching the (really) old Pollyanna movie with Hayley Mills. When she was hurt, and recovering, she hung prisms in her window. I never forgot that, Whenever I see that effect I think of Pollyanna.