rredpenn

rredpenn
last modified: January 16, 2015
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (71K)

• rredpenn

I wonder if his giant vac does "central vac" tubes? The one here has never ever worked... It's full of big chunks of drywall, trim pieces, sawdust and builder's messes. I tried to unplug it once, and that is what I was finding. Pfffft.

• happyleg

LOl, ur working too hard! Hehe, ur paying him. Relax.

• nwduck

You guys, you guys, you CANNOT believe this ick story from our news tonight!

A woman called police to do a welfare check on her mom who lived alone in a rural area outside of Portland. The authorities got to the house, checked it, but also noticed a sort of small excavator/bulldozer thing in the yard with some dirt pushed around. Walking over, they saw a 2'x2' hole in the ground. That's what the resident had fallen into. The ick part? IT WAS HER SEPTIC TANK AND ONLY HER FACE WAS ABOVE THE GOO. They figured she had been there two or three days. They had to call a special confined spaces team to get her out.

The next time you think you are having a ______ day, remember, it could absolutely be worse.

• licksch

That is the worst story ever. Was she still alive?

• nwduck

Yes. They took her out via medical helicopter to a hospital where they immediately began treating her for possible infectious things, and lack of oxygen. Early reporting indicates it seems she will be ok.

• rredpenn

Oh my lord... That is an ICK story!

How on earth did that even happen? Was she doing the excavating herself? Where were the septic guys? Were there no temp fences around it? Or, did it cave in? Or was the tank lid just off? Was she even aware that there was a hole in the ground? Nobody heard her? I have so many questions about this...

Glad she perhaps will be ok. What a story.

• nwduck

You would THINK there would have been a crew working on any septic tank stuff. But, this being rural Oregon, it would not surprise me if this lady had her own equipment and decided to uncover the tank herself. One of the stories said she stepped on the uncovered, and rusted, tank, it broke, and she fell in. Closest neighbor was about 1,000 yards away, so no way they could hear her yelling.

• rredpenn

Stuff like that gives septic a bad rap. That should never have happened. In our systems there is no way to get "in the goo" like that. Ours have had distribution boxes (about the size of a sump/lift station) located above the actual holding tank which are only big enough for a pump and some water lines. The tank is down below that, and you could only fall IN to the dirty water (and most all of what is in a septic tank is actually water) if all the pumping equipment has been pulled out...

• fissfiss

Our septic guy retired last year....talk about key personnel in one’s life....

• rredpenn

...or if the tank was iron and it had rusted out. That seems to be the case with this story. I found it on the news there.

Poor lady. That is horrible. It appears that the person who was doing work on that thing will be in big trouble for leaving it all open like that without safety fencing, etc.

• rredpenn

Our septic guy now is actually the son of our original septic guy. The son is taking over the business because it's way more lucrative and personally rewarding than the IT job he went to college for and left. He's a smart guy and really fun to talk to as you're standing over that open lid. LOL

I love their truck. It has a skunk painted on it, and it's named "The Big Stinky."

• licksch

OK well that’s great to hear she’s going to be OK after several days. This is exactly why I have a safety set up with my neighbour where I text her every night that I am OK, at 9:30 PM. It occurred to me after I fell last winter and slid down the ice into the hydrangea bush with icy water pouring down my neck, that things can go south pretty quickly.

• rredpenn

Isn’t technology great, Licksch? It is a good system you’ve got there.

My Houzz experience this morning was interesting. I got a ton of notifs that I have never had before, which led me to some threads I haven’t followed in a long long time. Technology hiccups but hey! it has given me some reading to catch up on. :)

I have been so busy this past year or two I haven’t been able to keep up w many of the threads. It’s hard enough to keep up on this one. LOL

• juliab51

Meanwhile, I've been hanging out in Kansas City with my little grandson all day. (Photo in hot mess.) His mommy left for the hospital twelve hours ago and still no baby brother in sight!

• zazfuzzroc

Such a sweetie Julia! <3

• ladma

Were back from our off the grid getaway. It was so nice. The weather was typical for the Adirondacks, sunny and80 one day, and a thunderstorms the next. We managed a few small hikes, some kayak paddles, and a few sail boat rides. We ate and drank, probably too much. This group gets together once a year, and has been for 35+ years. We no longer create death defying water sports, but instead we were talking about Medicare eligibility arriving in the next year.

• rredpenn

I am heading in right now to go look, Julia. Hang in there. The waiting is the hardest part!

• rredpenn

Ahahaha! I love his shirt! And the look on his face is priceless. He looks ready! ;)

• ladma

Julia, so cute!

• licksch

Julia...very sweet...great shirt...I need one for the three footer...

;)

• nwduck

Darling picture! He looks all proud and ready to take on his new "job".

• rredpenn

Lad, it will be nice to sleep in your own bed again, eh? Sounds like you had a great time! We need to get some kayaks. Now that I can bend in half that way, I wanna try it. It looks to be about my speed. (well duh! It would be whatever speed I want it to be.) LOL

• rredpenn

We are back at the lake. Waiting for an N and her hubs to pick up pizza and join us for the weekend. Low-key weekend...prob go fishing after we eat tonight, and they'll do their own thing tomorrow. Boat rides and make dinner together tomorrow night. Shopping and walking around too maybe a bit?

Today, when we got here, we mowed, and watered, and I even finally moved my pheasant picture over a little further apart from the rest of the birds above my little tiny desk area. Been meaning to do that.

• rredpenn

Oh and the chimney sweep did come to the home base this am and declared that our downstairs woodburning stove elbow was practically clogged with gunk. So glad we got on his schedule so fast. We are setting up a regular cleaning w him from now on... That thing will draw much better now. And prob go through logs much faster. No shortage there. We live in the woods. LOL

But now, I cannot wait for fireplace season! My favorite time of year! ;D

• glschisler

Cute pictures Julia! ;)

• glschisler

Welcome back Ladma. Sounds like a nice getaway.

• glschisler

Enjoy your weekend RRed. There is always a couple of kayaks paddling around the shore. And once in awhile someone is on a paddle board.

• mamabear2014

Hopefully in the morning we will get to see the new grandbaby, Julia!

• fissfiss

Adorable, Julia...

• ladma

Licksch, did you drop a hint? Is a new baby in your future,too?

• rredpenn

I am so excited to meet another grand in the group! Hope Juila's enjoying a newbie right now!

Meanwhile... our grand experience is going to be something like this...

This is C in another year or so. LOLOL

• juliab51

Ta da! Arrived just after midnight and all is well. He is smaller than his brother, but came with hair!

• zazfuzzroc

CONGRATS to you and the family Julia! Such a little cutie.. <3

• indomom

Congratulations, Julia! What a wonderful addition.

• rredpenn

OMG he is beautiful Julia! Congrats to all!

• ladma

P4p

• ladma

Congrats! He’s precious!

• fissfiss

How exciting, Julia...

• mamabear2014

Awe! Adorable little guy! Congrats grandma Julia!

• Nora

What a sweetie. He is absolutely perfect. Congratulations!

• happyleg

She looks like me! Congrats!

• rredpenn

Happy, that comment made me LOL! Thanks for the giggles.

• jayapple21

One of the handsomest brand-new babies I've ever seen. Blessings!

• licksch

Congrats, he looks happy to be here!

Ladma, heh heh...

• glschisler

So cute and all the hair ! :)

• glschisler

Licksch, two kiddos running around your home ? :o

• rredpenn

Licksch is this not quite public knowledge? LOL congrats in advance!

• juliab51

Thanks, everyone. We are all so happy, and exhausted!

That's great news, licksch. A new baby is an overwhelming joy.

• stryker

Congrats, julia! He's a looker.

What's happening, licksch? It sounds like you've got another wee one coming.

• licksch

Yes, peeps, you heard it here first… Due in early January. Totally unexpected.