rredpenn

rredpenn
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (100K)

• pickyvicky
    yesterday

The only encounter I’ve ever had with a horse.....

A friend in high school took me “camping” and planned a horseback ride. As a point of reference, this friend also laughed her head off and told me “a tree” when I asked where I could plug the curling iron in.... Anyhow, I was given the tamest horse who would follow the others along the trail and wouldn’t spook or buck. Thank goodness. I don’t think I relaxed the whole ride, sincerely afraid I’d make a wrong move. When dismounting, I didn’t realize where the feet were landing. Yup. It was a long, wilderness weekend where the only real memory was stepping in poo.

Horse whisperer’s are special people.

Mustangs with tires are safer for me.

• fissfiss
    yesterday

Duckie, what a fabulous day!

It's time to play Trash or Treasure again fellow Houzzers!

Margaret, I painted a mahogany buffet using Zin primer and latex paint that was supposed to be black but dried a dark grey. Was not satisfied with the finish and chips at the drop of a hat. Finish was not smooth, me and bumpy from the primer! One drawer, was not prepped at all. Hub just gave it a quick paint job and it looks the best. I am doing a painting class this week. We will see what I learn!

Have you remodeled a fireplace? Let's see it!

Remodeled fireplace, custom designed split faced travertine rock imported from Antiago, Turkey. The travertine is much more colorful than all other natural travertine rocks that vary in beige colors. Antiago travertine with white black hues and bright graining adds depth to the surfaces of the surround wall. The design idea of incoroperating glass with natural rock materials is somewhat different and could not have the end result you could have expected. The Jeffrey Court Collection of hand made tiles. The 3x6 glass subway tiles have real volcanic cake painted to the surface creating a 3D effect of copper hues adding depth.to the accent around the firebox.of the new zero clearance fireplace. The walls are 45 degrees at each edge wall creating a difficult and complex custom 45 degree angle cut to each course of rock materials installed on each side of the surround. The same design and materials were installed on the beehive designed for place in the informal living media room. The hearth surface was tiled with the same travertine as the walls except the tiles were cut into 12 inch squares and tumbled to give the edges the worn edges look. This added $20k in value to the residential home. The WoW factor hit out of the ball park response was received from most everyone who viewed the property.

Help choosing new windows for den/play room, 30 foot North facing wall

Thank you both for the helpful responses! I will be using some masking tape tomorrow to get a better visual. I love the idea of keeping the wall behind the sofa solid, but my kitchen has an opening that looks over the couch. It used to be an actual window in the 50's and when the room was remodeled the old window frame was kept and painted. If the wall was solid I feel my kitchen would not get enough light. The goal of this is to maintain the natural light we have, while getting more insulation from the cold on this north wall of the house. Since the airflow to this room will be adequate with the slider, would you suggest solid glass picture windows or sliding windows? We could not decide what would be better looking, or for resale down the road. We saw some Pella sliders as large as 60 x 60.

Let's Get Decorating! I need help PLEASE! First my living room!

Lots of awesome advise in this thread! I think that you can get the look you are wanting with the existing couch and nice white walls. Here are some designs from Houzz that have great elements and similar items to your room. To create a more coastal feel, i would suggest the bookcases be a lighter color, I love the color of the one that 111ideahound suggested. Paired with your textured baskets and a few decorative accents, it would look fantastic. Muted blue and cream colored throw pillows on the sectional would help to brighten it up, and bring in the colors to provide a coastal feel. For the windows, I would suggest woven wood shades. These will play off the texture of the baskets and are a favorite for beachy/coastal decor. These shades provide privacy, and help to give the room a soft glow of sunlight when they are lowered and covering the entire window. http://www.selectblinds.com/bamboo-blinds.html Good luck! I hope this helped.
  • ladma
    yesterday

I sat on a horse once, for about 5 seconds. But somehow I could jump out of an airplane?

• rredpenn
    yesterday

Lad that is crazy! Can you imagine being on a space walk? I'd feel so vulnerable... Of course, I feel that way under water, even in a swimming pool, too... LOL Totally out of my element.

PV, that is hilarious. One learns quickly that way to look before you leap (off)...

When I was a kid, at riding school, the valuable skill of getting off a horse immediately in an emergency was always taught. If the instructor yelled "Squirrel!" that was the cue to un-stirrup yourself and jump off, asap. The last one off was always the one who got to muck stalls that afternoon. LOL I got pretty good at emergency dismounts.

Probably why I had such a bum leg, eh?

• liasch
    yesterday

I’m sure there will be a volcano in my future at some point… Whether it will be as grand as yours is an entirely different question however. It’s still chilly enough here to be concerned about frost and have a fire on in the evenings.

• fissfiss
    yesterday

Lia, we are in the middle of a long spell of fantastic, but seasonally appropriate May weather...mostly sunny, occasionally windy, the odd sun shower...but no frosts....After we come back from Seattle, about June 7...I will plant my containers, etc, etc...A) because dog sitters are wonderful people, but plant sitting is way harder....B) Memorial Day is pushing our last frost date...

• liasch
    yesterday

Moozie goes in and out several times at night, around dusk and before curfew, which is at 9:30. Every time she comes in she gets a couple of treats. And then asks to go right back out again of course. Eventually it’s last call. Then she runs upstairs and looks out the open window in the guest bedroom. The treats have to be served in a particular way, lol. They have to be served on the rug. I’ve tried putting them on a plate on a tray... but no. A treat is not a treat unless it’s on the carpet.

• pickyvicky
    yesterday

Yes, plants are hard to babysit. So are fish. Believe it or not.

Yikes. Jumping out of an airplane? Nope. Got to get me on it first.

Mustangs with tires more my style. 🤣

• rredpenn
    yesterday

Having a fire in the evening sounds perfect tonight, but I'm just too tired! It was a busy day again today, but we are getting closer to being set up for summer. Just in time to have to wash all the pollen off everything outside. Ugh. My nose is still running but now it's less cold and more allergy. We really need some rain if just to wash the air and all this pollen away.

I will be dreaming tonight about that little filly. I've already named her Sunny and have been daydreaming a future of visiting her daily with a bag of carrots... She was so sweet!

• kcooz07
    yesterday

Awww, would the owners let you visit Sunny on occasion? That would be cool.

• marrymaid
    yesterday

Still raining here. It has been a long dreary day and rain is expected all of next week. Rred the twins are right up your alley and I am glad that you had some special time with them. When you show up with goodies, they will recognize you every time.
    Wish that I’m had some deco or exciting updates to offer. Our updates are usually just the Littles and Big Littles. It is what keeps us going. Not many of our old previous friends are still here. We lived here previously with our girls were in high school.
    I do enjoy all of your happenings.

• rredpenn
    yesterday

MM having the Big Littles and the Little Littles is a huge blessing, and I love to hear about them! The sports schedules and the graduations and next step plans... that is the stuff life is all about, imo.

Kcooz, the woman was really nice and offered to let me to come back anytime, so I will have to do that. Sunny and her sorrel sister will be sold at some point, but not until the fillies are weaned and halter broken and can be led into a trailer, right? Socialization for them is important and I am a willing volunteer for that! Heck, hand me a curry comb and I'll do that too. ;) I'm good at picking out hooves, too, but it's been years.

• fissfiss
    yesterday

I love enjoying the next generation...TSFP is coming home to attend a wedding in August. I think we will end up with a houseful. Sadly, her friend who used to sales rep a sock company now works for a brewery...He used to bring nice socks as a hostess gift...beer will be fine, but not as long lasting.

• pickyvicky
    yesterday

Rred, this is exciting! Wow. Go buy the carrots, ASAP. It will be good for your soul after a hard year.

• pickyvicky
    yesterday

Fiss....wonderful news!

• mamabear2014
    yesterday

• glschisler
    yesterday

😂😂mamabear!

• nwduck
    yesterday

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures. It really was a blast in more ways than one.

The wedding shower today was also fabulous. The bridesmaid that put it all together could easily be a professional party planner. Artful, tasteful, pretty and really fun. I am so happy my niece could finally start her "wedding season".

I can also report that my sister can talk without pause with no effort. Two hours down, two hours back and I hardly had to say a thing. LOL Loved seeing all three of my siblings, as it has been since Christmas of 2019. There was a pretty long group hug.

• glschisler
    yesterday

Fiss, I am so happy you get to see TSFP! Yay!

RRed, a whole new hobby for you! I love looking at horses, but I have only ridden them a few times. I think the last time was when my SIL and I rode them on the beach in Cancun a few years ago, while the guys went deep sea fishing. Fun times😎

• ladma
    yesterday

The random pop up showers yesterday afternoon turned out to be a line of wild thunderstorms for an hour. I’m hoping I’d knocked down a lot of the pollen.

• babophz
    21 hours ago

Bouncer's face is priceless. Duckie, what you said about your sister reminded me of someone I heard described as the Orient Express, she would talk without pause as well, lol! Glad to hear you had such fun days! Yay for larger gatherings!

The horse picture was very funny, rred!

• liasch
    21 hours ago

Those are great Memes mama bear and I saved a couple… I particularly enjoyed the cereal box one. What will kids do at breakfast without a cereal box?

Haha on the mustangs, PV. I’m afraid I’m in the same category. My experience with horses is somewhat limited to my girlfriend and I jumping on the back, bareback, of an old workhorse up the road. She was completely horse crazy and I was completely unenthusiastic… there was plenty of opportunity growing up in Maine to be involved with horses, we even had stables in the neighbourhood but I don’t know what it is about horses. They’re a combination of primal and intelligent. An alien race that we have somehow domesticated. Sort of.

TSFP is coming across the big water! That’s wonderful news. I can imagine just how much you want to see her!

Ladma, I think those thunderstorms are headed my way at least according to the forecast. I had better get outside and get some thing done in the garden. No work on the staircase until the garden is not possible.

• juliab51
    19 hours ago

We could use some rain here. We went to Minnehaha Falls and the water was way down. It is still beautiful, though, and such a cool feature to have in a city park where everyone can enjoy it.

• ladma
    16 hours ago

We opened the pool. It will take a couple of days to clear the water, then we need to warm it up! I won’t be swimming for a while, the water was only 60. Some how when we were kids, and the ocean was 60 we thought the water was warm! It never got above 65 and my beach.

• rredpenn
    16 hours ago

The lake is around 55 here and dumb Guffy swam anyhow. Then that night she had a “limber tail” attack (it’s a tail issue… hurts like heck. She basically acted like she had been stung on the bum but it lasted for hours). Limber tail can happen when a dog overexerts in such cold water. She is better now but we didn’t get much sleep a couple nights ago…

• pickyvicky
    15 hours ago

Beautiful Julia!

We are set for a warm week. Finally.

• fissfiss
    15 hours ago

Nothing adds to the joy of Tax Day like one’s husband appearing and saying, “the toilet is blocked and the plunger did nothing.” Sigh....all flowing now....but the two young plumbers had to call the boss man. There was a hard blockage, but no obvious culprit flowed by when they got things moving again.

• fissfiss
    15 hours ago

Rred, that’s a new ailment for me! Fergus had a slight case of the terrier today....he tried to inhale a chipmunk out of a hole...there’s hope!

• rredpenn
    14 hours ago

He has the cutest bum!!

• rredpenn
    13 hours ago
    last modified: 13 hours ago

Yeah, Fiss, you should send DrTSFP this article so she can read up on "limber tail"... Lots of vets don't even know about it, but it's really common in Labradors and other sporting breeds, esp those that swim in icy water.

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever-training/a-lesson-in-limber-tail

Since we've always had gun/swimming dogs, we have already had some experience with this problem and knew exactly what it was. Rest and a rimadyl or two has been taking care of it.

I dunno why it's called "limber tail." Seems oxymoronic...isn't it that the tail isn't limber? Guffy was holding it down limply but at a slightly odd angle, and chasing/biting at it as if she had a bee sting. Then, she wouldn't lie down to sleep for quite a long time. I felt sorry for her, sort of.

When she was a puppy, she attacked Batty too hard and did the SAME THING to my poor cat. Batty went around for a whole week with a limp tail, and that was so sad to see. So glad she recovered from that. A cat's tail is how they talk, y'know. It was like she was mute without her tail moving.

• rredpenn
    13 hours ago

Well, we spent the day doing more yard work. I got the LFL flower bed cleaned up and cleared of all but three manageable sized clumps of bee balm. I put a bunch of the ones I dug out down on the bank where they can spread to their heart's content. Gave my neighbor a bucketful too. They looked pretty sorry by afternoon, so I billy goated a watering can down to the lake edge to get water for them. Lots of scaling the rocks and the slope there is harrowing; glad I don't have to do that very often...

Planted three new peonies in the LFL bed too, where I had holes to fill, and popped in some marigolds, a few portulacas (moss roses) and alyssums for instant gratification near the road. I think I'm done with that whole side of the place for the summer now. Maybe?

While we were putzing around, we burned more rotten boards of Jo's old dock. Slowly getting rid of that messy pile of dry rotted wood planks... hope by summer it's all gone. He spent the day doing tractor/chainsaw maintenance, and then chopped out four huge stumps that were in our way on the bank. Those willows sure are tenacious.

Took a break to run the dogs to the DP for a hike around the perimeter and an hour or so of chuck-it for Guffy. Her behind is feeling much better, but I warned her, "No more swimming until the lake warms up a bit!"

And now that we are all exhausted, the marina called and our boat is de-winterized and ready to pick up. But, but, now it's dinnertime! We'll just go tomorrow. Too bushed to do that tonight. Darn it! Been waiting around all day for that call!

• rredpenn
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

LOL So we ate, and then he goes, "I'm gonna walk to the marina and get the boat..." (It's in the water there, waiting...) He's like a little kid and can't wait any longer...even tho he's as dog tired as me. It's just a 15 minute walk. I offered to drive him there and drop him off, but no. He pointed out that I'm already in my PJ's... LOL Guess I'll walk down to the dock in a little while and meet him when he floats in. LOL

• marrymaid
    11 hours ago

I am trying to be a little more vigilant but no promise. Fiss, it is wonderful that TSFP will be over for a visit and mama, great Memes as usual. Julia, those falls a beautiful! There is something that I always love with water. Ladma, opening the pool, yes. When we lived in FL, we sure enjoyed ours. We knew that we wouldn’t be there long and needed one to be able to sell. It would have been a great place to retire but needed to be closer to family. Red, glad that the marina is close as I understand. One game was rained out tonight and will see what the rest of the week offers. Red, I forgot to mention that YD will be happy to know that Rimadyl is a success.

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

LOL He walked back home. It didn't start for him. LOL-poor guy. Must be some kind of kill switch thing he doesn't yet know about. He said the engine was warm, bc the marina had just had it running... but the mechanics are all gone now for the day, of course. Sigh. Kind of a funny first date with it for him... memorable anyhow. LOLOL Tomorrow, then...

• stryker
    11 hours ago

Maybe the term started as "limper" tail.

Sunny sure is cute. When I saw the notification for that pic in the hot mess (missed it there, so didn't get to see it big)...WTH? Now I know whose nose was next to your face. I have fantasies that you will buy her.

Hello everybody. I hope you get my "likes" so you can see I've read and appreciated your comments.

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago

MM, things are sure pretty and green at your place! Rain would be so welcome here. Everything here needs a deep drink. I'm being as frugal with the water as possible w all the new plants... I did get out the hose and wet the flower bed all down as long as I could, but the lawn and all the existing-in-ground stuff hasn't been watered. As long as it stays cool... it'll be ok.

Julia, that waterfall is awesome. Love the name. Minnehaha is so fun to say! Just saying it makes one smile... :)

Lad, the pool just having water in it has to feel/look like spring/summer! Our neighbor at home base has already had the grandkids swimming in his! (He must run that heater hot! We've only had a couple days warm enough, imo...)

Duckie I am trying to picture you in a car for hours w your sister where YOU are the quiet one. LOLOL

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago

Stryker, I have seen your thumbs ups! "Sunny" is already sold, I think, but yeah... what a daydream for me. LOL I'd love to raise a filly up from scratch like that. And she is so stinkin' cute! She'll be a pretty mare, I think. Such long eyelashes too. Sigh...

Otherhalf would not allow it. He'd never see me again. LOL

• mamabear2014
    11 hours ago

Pretty yard MM!

Julia, I loved the photos of the falls. What a view.

rred, bummer on the boat retrieval.

We went to another ball game. But rain moved in. They only played 2 innings. He got bonked on the shoulder and got a good hit. He mostly played first base and he is pretty good there. Outfield is not for him. LOL

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

Boats are like that... they all have their quirks. This one hasn't yet revealed all hers yet. Heck, I haven't even seen her in the water yet. Well, he got THAT CLOSE tonight... he undid the cover, got in and did all he could to try to start it... nuthin! So, then he buttoned it all back up, and walked home. LOLOL

It just sounds like a cold first date experience when I put it that way. LMAO

• stryker
    11 hours ago

I just looked at the HM photo notification again. That pic is hilarious. Wish I'd had a chance to see it big.

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago

ok I'll put it back in there, Stryker... :)

• stryker
    11 hours ago

:-)

• stryker
    11 hours ago

OMG that is so messed up. I love it.

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago

She gotta lotta whiskers! LOL

I was crouching low so she wasn't intimidated by my height (or lack thereof) and that was the ticket. I was holding the camera up from my lap, so a weird, accidental selfie from below looking up.

This was after she came cautiously over to investigate me. First she lipped at my hair, and then she and I shared air through our noses for a good long time...

Satisfied, she let me touch, and then when I hit an itchy spot in her mane, she wouldn't leave me alone...

• rredpenn
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

That pic was taken when we were "sharing air..." LOL

Horses like to do that. They sniff at your nose, and you breathe in their noses... deep breathing is calming for them, or it's the way they say hello, or something.

• stryker
    10 hours ago

Yep on the sharing air.

That pic is the "I'm about to be eaten" grass view.

• glschisler
    10 hours ago

Glad to see you Stryker! You too MM and a pretty yard.😊

Julia, those falls are beautiful!

RRed, you sure do a lot of hard work! And that is too bad the first date didn’t go as planned. As for limber tail, see, I continue to learn something new every day!

• glschisler
    10 hours ago

Fiss, Fergus is quite the hunter. 😃

• fissfiss
    10 hours ago

It’s a good thing you can’t just walk into a boat yard and drive away, right?

• rredpenn
    54 minutes ago
    last modified: 52 minutes ago

LOL Fiss, they put it in the water for us so we could walk into the boat yard and drive it away...

I guess that is what we'll be doing today!

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/acute-caudal-myopathy-limber-tail

And, here's another limber tail article for DrTSFP's edification. :)