Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rminteriors

Modern Moroccan Tea Room

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
When clients from Morocco asked me to furnish their two-bedroom, two-storey Griffintown (adjacent to downtown Montreal) condo and wanted to include a Moroccan tea room in the mezzanine between the two bedrooms, I was hooked. As you can see from the original space, however, there were definitely challenges. The white walls had to stay. The awkward shape of the windows had to be addressed. The baseboard heater and air-conditioning unit were an eyesore. And did I mention that the entire space was tiny? But this space definitely ended up being the star of the entire 2-storey condo project!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    And here is the original painting (which I found on Etsy) that inspired the palette and pattern for this tea room.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @applepie - thank you for your comments and question. Yes they are ripple fold curtains installed into a ceiling track and they open and close.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for info. Just curious about how you coordinated the rug and patterned curtains: were they from a single manufacturer or were they chosen individually?
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago
    Just wondering how the HVAC works with being blocked by the drapes? Beautifuul color palette and dualing mirrors!
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @SophieW - The window treatments were designed to create height and drama and also camouflage the unattractive heater and air-conditioning unit while allowing light to flood in when they remain closed. For safety, there is a six-inch space between the heater and the drapery panels which are non flammable. If it gets too hot or cold, each panel can be pushed to either side.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @apple pie - I found the rug and looked for fabrics that complemented it:) the window treatments and floor and back cushions were all custom made with custom fabrics.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks- do you mean you had the fabric custom printed?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    No - wrong choice of word "custom fabric" - all were are from Joanne fabrics.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @apple pie - You can purchase these fabrics through a distributor of Joanne Fabrics. I don't know if you can purchase them online without a designer. The patterned fabric is Joanne Oakland 66J001 and the sheer fabric is Joanne Sydney 65J5101.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for info.
  • 5 years ago

Rebecca, your work is an inspiration, thanks! I took your idea to pick the fabrics for my new house. Love this tearoom!

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked Alex Kash
  • 5 years ago
    Absolutely lovely!
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked teamaltese
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Looks very grand!

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked KT tile
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Gorgeous color scheme for the space. Great work!

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked The Proposed Plan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Thank you Alex Kash and everyone. Not sure how this thread picked up four years later but it's nice to hear such great feedback!

• PRO
    5 years ago

Beautiful!

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked Mega Builders
  • 3 years ago

Hi Rebecca. Where did you purchase the tables and mirrors?

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked Samiah Alam
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Hi Samiah - thank you for your question. This project is from many years ago but the table was purchased from West Elm and the mirrors possibly from Uttermost. Best regards from Montreal, Canada and happy new year!

• 3 years ago

Thanks for the response! Sorry, I didn't check the date. I found the picture on Google images and loved the design. Thinking of doing something similar for the prayer room, but I doubt I'll find the items in Halifax. Happy New Year and stay safe :)

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked Samiah Alam
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Looks great, you did a great job!

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • 3 years ago

Looks great, can you please guide where you got low sitting from?

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked amijm
  • 3 years ago

You really really embraced that 2020 pattern. Hope it stands the test of time for you.

Rebecca Mitchell Interiors thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    3 years ago

@arcy_gw This project is from 2014 so I guess that means it has stood the test of time! Our clients were a Moroccan family moving to Montreal who had requested a modern tea room.

• PRO
    3 years ago

@amijm custom made floor cushions.