Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organictomaters

Mold in Raised Beds

organictomaters
14 years ago

Hi there,

I built raised beds for a veggie garden and being a new gardener treated the inside of the boxes with oil hoping it would keep the wood from rotting. I've noticed white mold around the edges of the boxes recently. Any suggestions?...I figure it's early enough to dump the boxes and scrub them with a mild bleach solution?.. and then refill them but can I use the same dirt? Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (5)

  • dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

    Assuming the mold is white, some white molds can leave an acidic mess in the soil. I would spray the entire surface with milk diluted at 2-3 ounces per gallon of water. Spray every week or until it goes away. I would also scatter ordinary corn meal on top of the soil to keep some of the more popular garden diseases at bay.

  • jean001
    14 years ago

    I wouldn't worry about the mold. Anything growing on the wood (it's dead) won't feed on live plants.

    Also,what kind of oil did you use?

    Can you post an image?

  • Kimmsr
    14 years ago

    I am with Jean on this. There are molds that are good to have and there are molds that are not good to have, and then there are molds that are neither. Those you see on decaying woody products are not harmful to living plants.

  • Judy Donner
    8 years ago

    My mold is on railroad ties and the mold is also on the dirt surface. Don't know if it starts on the soil or the wood. It is a greenish white. It is not slimy at all. What type is that and is it bad or is it just bothersome? I try to remove as much as I can each year by hand but it never really leaves. Is there anything I can spray onto the dirt (and wood) area to kill the mold but that will not hurt my dirt or any vegetables? How long would I have to wait before planting seeds? I live in a damp climate (N. Idaho) and it is awful around my flower beds too and it even grows out into the yard seeming to overpower the grass in those spots.

  • kimmq
    8 years ago

    As was stated above the mold y6ou have most likely is harmless. However, if you want to be sure your University of Idaho Cooperative Extension Service would be of more help, It is difficult, at best, to determine what mold you might have without a microscopic exam.

    http://www.uidaho.edu/extension

    kimmq is kimmsr