angellilly

Grumpy Phalaenopsis

angellilly
October 11, 2009

Hiya all!What is the trigger to bloom in Phalaenopsis orchids?I have one for almost 2 years now.It put out leaves and lots of roots,i water it when dry,i fertilize it lightly every second watering but the plant refuses to bloom!

(now that i think of it i have an Oncidium that does the same thing...lot of foliage..no bloom).Perhaps stressing the plant somehow might help?... :-/

Comments (11)

• richardol

The number one reason that an orchid doesn't bloom is not enough light. For the Phal, there may be the additional reason that it didn't get a temperature dip. Not freezing, just 15-20 degrees down at night for a couple of weeks.

• angellilly

Well,i think it gets sufficient light,the leaves are not too dark or too light and they have a nice purple tint in their underside....as for the temp dip,the weather forecast predicted the first single digit temp in a week...we shall see...but what about the oncidium?

• richardol

Good light level for Phal is too low for Oncidium. Move it closer to the window or to a window with more light.

• angellilly

oh sorry i forgot to mention they arent in the same spot,the oncidium receives direct light near a windowsill!

• arthurm

If the plants have names that might help us solve your problem. There is also an FAQ that discusses flowering Phalaenopsis in some detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on flowering Phals.

• highjack

How near is the plant to the windowsill and which direction is the window in relationship to the sun - north, south, east or west?

Brooke

• angellilly

Arthurm: the phalaenopsis i think is a generic yellow phalaenopsis and the oncidium is wildcat and thanks for the link!cold days r coming,fingers crossed!
    highjack:it is very close as in if-it-gets-hit-by-a-cold-draft-it-will-die!and it gets morning sun for 3-4 hours and bright light the rest of the day...

• arthurm

Have a vague idea of climate(s) in the USA. Nil of Greece.

Your Oncidium is Odontocidium Wildcat and various clones of that Orchid are widely grown around the world. Needs more light that a Phalaenopsis and might need more of daily and annual temperature range too.

What are you feeding your "Wildcat". Too much high Nitrogen fertiliser in the cooler months might result in lush leaves and nil flowers.

• angellilly

My zone is 8a-8b...i dont know if that helps... and i feed it with a balanced 20-20-20 fert. weakly,i also use ground coffee.

• jane__ny

Stop fertilizing completely.

Jane

• angellilly

:-0>> :-) i can see your logic!I guess i can try that.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268