Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Baking in glass loaf pans

11 years ago

I have been on a banana bread kick lately. I know I need to eat in the morning but I really don't like to eat (or cook) in the morning.. so I've been making a whole wheat banana bread to have with my coffee. It cooks for an hour at 325..and it really needs the full hour. Problem is, it gets very brown and just a touch bitter. The bread itself is great. It's moist and cooked perfectly inside but I want to prevent it from getting so dark on the outside.

I have been baking a lot this last year but I am a much more experienced cook than a baker. Could the problem be that I am using glass loaf pans? Would wrapping the pans in foil help?

Comments (16)

• 11 years ago

Hey funky..the rule is to lower the temp 25 degrees when baking with glass. The glass conducts the heat and holds it better than the metal therefore the bread can get to brown. You can try that first and you may need to bake it longer at the lower temp. Also what are you using to grease/flour your pans ? I use PAM these days but for many many years used real butter and floured it lightly then tapping out the extra flour. I do still flour the pan after I spray in the PAM ..tap out all the extra very well.

I have never wrapped a pan and I think if you try the above it will solve your problems. Oh also sometimes whole wheat can be bitter...you might try 1/2 and 1/2 with AP flour. c

• 11 years ago

Trail's right about the glass pan. Hey C., I never flour my pan and all breads come out great. Why is flour used? lol.

• 11 years ago

Real butter and flour - yum!!

I have found with most of my chocolate cakes, I MUST grease and flour.

Funky, now I want banana bread. LOL

tina

• 11 years ago

Great info! I never knew .. but I've only recently switched to the glass pans. I used butter..but no flour. I butter and flour cakes though.

I guess I could go with 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat but the bread itself is fine,not bitter. It's just where it got too dark that it was slightly bitter. I think I'll try your method with 100% whole wheat and see if it goes away.

Tina, the funny thing is, I hate bananas but I love banana bread lol. This recipe is very good and pretty guilt free.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread (I adapted from one on AllRecipes.com)

1/3 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup honey*

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup mashed bananas

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup hot water

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    * I drop the honey by half if the bananas are really ripe

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

Beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Blend in chopped nuts. Spread batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Bake for 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.

• 11 years ago

I was just getting ready to ask for the recipe :) Did you sub the yogurt for the oil ? Looks wonderful and I have a bunch of ripe bananas !!

I only suggested the white flour to dust the pan as a possible solution to the browning crust , I don't flour for banana bread as a rule. What I do is spray the PAM and then use a heavy dusting of demarara sugar in the pan...it makes the most wonderfully crunchy caramel tasting crust on the outside of the bread and only a very few calories :)

I see it is already 325 in the recipe...I am surprised that it is over browning at that temp. Try the 300 but you are going to have to bake 1 hr 15 I bet. The other thing I think I would try first is to start first 30 min at 325 and then lower to 300 for the rest of time till knife comes out clean. The reason is that you may not get as good a rise from the bread at 300 to start. Good Luck and post pics ! c

• 11 years ago

Yes, I subbed yogurt for the oil. I do that with all quick breads and muffins. I used to use fruit puree but I think it makes for a rubbery texture.

I agree about the temp--I fear dropping it another 25 degrees. Perhaps I should recalibrate my oven. I think I'll keep it at 325 for 30-40 min but watch it closely... and then drop it at the end. You are right-- especially with 100% whole wheat, I don't want to impede the rise.

I am going to make another loaf today.. yum!

• 11 years ago

You know, I used a glass pan for a quick bread recipe and I too had that bitter taste at the crust. I had attributed it to using a boxed mix (hangs head in shame). But the same mix made in the usual metal pan was ok.

I have a round unglazed casserole, similar yield size as the loaf pan, that I'm going to try for the next bread I make. Just to see if it makes a difference. If so, then I'll just reserve the glass pan for meatloaf or some other savory dish.

I wouldn't lower the temp, that will probably mess with the chemistry. Is your oven calibrated correctly? Well pre-heated? Those can affect the browning.

Also, try butter for the lubricant rather than Pam. DH surprised me with something he'd made using Pam, but it turned out the spray had gone bad and the cake was horrific at the outer edges. I bought a new can and found things were fine, but I toss them after a couple months now.

• 11 years ago

Now I know about the bitter taste. Other than casseroles, I have this one glass pan I always cook brownies in. I only use Pam.

I remember how the first bite, especially a corner piece, has this weird flavor. Will do the sugar next time!

I do prefer using metal pans though for breads and desserts. Using dark pans you're supposed to lower the temp. also.

Last Christmas someone gave me a clay loaf pan. I'm too afraid to use it because there were no instructions. It's a beautiful, heavy pan. The color of clay. Is it better for bread?

• 11 years ago

I don't use Pam.. I use butter. I do know that bran, especially, can go rancid and the flour was old but I have a pretty keen sense of smell and I think I'd have noticed.

I am going to give it another go here in a little bit. I'd just pull out my metal pans but I've already packed them. :(

Clay is great for yeast breads (or so I am told.. I use either a perforated french bread pan or a pizza stone). I am not sure I'd use clay for a quick bread.

• 11 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Funky!! I'm going to try it. It does look like a pretty healthy recipe. I will substitute pecans for walnuts. I am always struggling to keep up with my healthy eating!

I love my pizza stone.

tina

• 11 years ago

Hope you like it, Tina!

I love my pizza stone too--but it's not going to fit in the oven at the new house! I will replace the oven when I redo the kitchen.. but that's going to mean no more homemade rye until I do. :(

I have yet to make pizza on it.. I love homemade pizza but fear I'll want to make it every other night! LOL

• 11 years ago

Trailrunner, I thought of you and your son, the chef, when I heard this on NPR today. With all the cooking shows on TV these days, it's about time they got with the program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Bake Oven

• 11 years ago

When I've used clear glass I've had trouble with burning. I won a set of white Corelle baking dishes in a white elephant a few Christmas' ago, and they've been a God send! Who knew!?

• 11 years ago

chickadee: funny you should post that. I sent it to DS1 and DIL LOL !! I am certain that our grandson wouldn't care what color the stove comes in though. He is only 13 months and spends every day at the library near them in the cooking play area. He loves to stir pots and put them in and out of the sink. He visits his daddy every day at the restaurant and the first thing he does is grab an off set spatula .I bet Hasbro will get going with this soon !!

funky..how did the bread turn out ?? c

• 11 years ago

I have photos but I am running out.. will post later. The bread turned out great this time and I didnt really do anything different. I did use 1/4 white flour in the mix because it was for a gift and I wasn't sure how they'd feel about all whole wheat. I also rotated the pan every 20 min.

I didnt drop the temp to 300.. that just seemed too low.

• 6 years ago

Wondering the same