Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksn90

leopard print rug????

14 years ago

Does anyone have a leopard print or animal print rug - and photos??? I am considering one for my living room, and the colors are great, but this is pretty bold for me! My taste is normally more traditional. I'm also afraid it will be out of style soon...is this trend fading fast?

This is the one (top photo, but it would be an area rug not wall to wall): http://www.kanecarpet.com/products/index.html?category=6&id=1517

Comments (15)

• 14 years ago

Animal print is both timeless and classic.
    It also may go in and out of favor in use, but it will always be used.

IMO, I think it's best used when it mimics the orig animal -- then becomes less trendy.
    I'm not liking the carpet your linking because there's too much going on.

Jim

Here's some examples:

Ralph Lauren - I believe this is in his home.

{{!gwi}}

This is the hall and DR of legendary interior designer Betty Sherrill.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 14 years ago

I have to agree with Jim.

• 14 years ago

Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head~animal prints are more traditional than realized by 'self decorators'. Interior designers/decorators know you can't go wrong using an animal print with any style of decor since they've been around longer than most of us know. ;o)

• 14 years ago

I have one in my quest bedroom. I got it from the Q shopping network and was really reasonable and great quality

• 14 years ago

I am a big fan of leopard print, I have a lot of it in my home. I too think it is timeless, but it has to be done right or it can be too overpowering. I mostly like the rugs that have other traditional prints mixed in like the one on the top right of the Horchow link below. I have a nice one in my master bath...will try to get a pic if I can figure out where to house it for posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow

• 14 years ago

Scalamandre has made animal print fabrics in silk and cotton velvet that cost $100s per yard (something like $1300 yd "retail") and have not been out of production in decades. Stark carpet has been making animal print carpet continually for decades (1920s? earlier?)

They peak and ebb as trends but they are always a classic choice.

• 14 years ago

I have one from Ballard Designs in my entryway. I don't have a pic at the moment.

• 14 years ago

Wow - thanks everyone! Jim, those photos are great. I totally see what you're saying. Maybe that was my hangup with the rug I was considering (too much going on). I knew there was something off. Seems like it is beautiful when it's done right but horrible if done wrong. I'll be careful! :)

• 14 years ago

Oh, the Safavieh "Jaguar Light" Rug, in the upper left of the Horchow link that vampiressrn provided is gorgeous! Neutral, but stunning. (I tried to find it less expensive, but no luck.)

• 14 years ago

I have an animal print blanket that looks stunning with
    my red leather chair but I have never been brave
    enough to do a rug. When I look at the below photos
    I wish I had the talent.
    They are gorgeous.
    ~boxerpups

The Clifton House. It is not a leopard print but look
    how they combined an animal print in a traditional living
    room. Lovely.

Zebra print rugs5

Ralph Lauren Animal print

• 14 years ago

More rugs...might be a better price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorators

• 14 years ago

I have leopard print carpeting going up my open staircase and in my upstairs foyer. People thought I was NUTS when I told them of my plans. The carpeting guys were the funniest. "Are you sure you want to do this, lady?". One guy even took a scrap home to show his wife because she didn't believe someone would really pick that carpeting!

However, at the end of the job (it was a three day job) the crew all said how beautiful it is, and not as overwhelming in the space as they had expected. They REALLY liked it.

I have had it for almost three years and I love it as much as when it was first installed. I have a lot going on in the foyer - red walls, lots of paintings, oriental rugs, crystal chandelier, parquet floors - and it doesn't clash or compete with anything.

Leopard is timeless and versatile. You won't regret it.

Nicole

PS - I'm sure you would like pictures. Well, so would I! My hard drive crashed last month and I have no idea how to get my images back. DH doesn't think ALL is lost, he is working on it.

I have linked to the carpeting I have. Mine is the Wild Root color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanton Carpet's Serengeti in Wild Root

• 14 years ago

As far as I know Leopard Print has been envogue for about 12 years now and I don't see an end to its allure yet...so go for it!

• 14 years ago

I'm so glad to read this thread. We are leaning towards doing a leopard print stair runner in our new house. I never thought I'd go for an animal print, but I fell in love with this one when I saw the sample in the store.

• 14 years ago

Here is the selection of animal prints from STARK. If I am not mistaken some of these have been in production for decades, they are not a passing fad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stark Animal Carpets