Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

How many hours labor to build a room addition?

15 years ago

Roughly.

The room will be where an existing 2 story deck is now. 17' by 14'. 6 windows, a door, vaulted ceilings with a beam, all sheetrocked. Vinyl siding and a small deck with stairs. A kitchen window has to be removed (will be left open as a pass through)and the present door opening would need to be made about 6 inches bigger. Built on piers (no foundation).

We'd hire someone else to do the roofing, an electrican and a flooring guy.

We're getting bids for a contractor to do all the work. The first bid was $18,500 (over the phone).. I liked the contractor but he really doesn't seem very interested (promised a bid in 3 days, but we had to call him 2 weeks later. He also doesn't return phone calls.) Second bid was a whopping $30,000. (over our budget by at least $10,000). Still waiting on 2 other bids.

Thought we'd at least consider contracting this out ourselves. My DH can help with some of the work and tear down the existing deck. We have a friend who has been building homes his whole life and he says he and his son will both build the room for $20. (each) an hour. Just trying to get a rough estimate of how long this would take 2 people with building experience. 100 hours for the 2 of them would cost us $4000. Would it take much longer than that?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

We'd hire someone else to do the roofing, an electrician and a flooring guy.

We're getting bids for a contractor to do all the work.

It's not clear what part of the work you are asking about. Do you want guesstimates for everything but wiring, flooring and shingling the roof, or for the whole ball of wax?

In any case, you should ask your friend and his son how long they expect it to take -- don't write them a blank check by agreeing to pay indefinitely until it's done. The pace at which people work can vary pretty dramatically, depending on levels of skill, motivation and equipment. $20 an hour doesn't sound very motivating.

• 15 years ago

Going rate (in my area at least) for new construction additions is about $150 per square foot.

Using that rate, you should expect to pay about $35,000 for this addition.
    -------

2 professional builders working 8 hours a day will take about 4 months (or longer) to complete this project.

That's 80 working days at 16 hours a day @ $20 per hour, or a grand total in labor of $25,600...

Add the material cost to that and you're right back up to the aproximately $35,000 total for the work.

And as the previous poster noted, $20 per hour is hardly an incentive for this job and the kind of work you'll get for that price won't be 'professional'.
    --------------

The guy bidding $18,500 has no clue what is is talking about or is bidding low just to get the job. Watch out for this type because they either get half way through the project, realize they can't come out ahead, take your money and disappear....or hold your job for ransom until you end up paying the additional $17,000 it will really cost to complete.

-------------

Right now, unless you do every ounce of work yourself, you won't get this job done for the $20,000 price tag you envision.

• 15 years ago

The $20. is what they asked for. This is the same rate they make at their regular laborer job. This would be side work, so just nights and weekends.

I just wanted a guesstimate for just their part - the framing, siding and sheetrock plus building the small deck.

Manhattan - I am in a more rural area in Missouri, so I don't believe the cost per sq foot should be that high.

2 professional builders working 8 hours a day will take about 4 months (or longer) to complete this project.

That's 80 working days at 16 hours a day @ $20 per hour, or a grand total in labor of $25,600...

I can't imagine it taking that long for this size room. I really hope you are wrong.
    Here is a photo similar to what we want.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

• 15 years ago

If you go the "friend & son" route, You'll either have to make sure they are covered by their own insurance, or you will have to pull workmans comp for them in the event they or one gets hurt. You could be setting yourself up for a nightmare going this route. Best bet is to get estimates from licensed, bonded, insured contractors Check their references, license numbers with the state licensing board for any negatives, and ask to see past and current projects.

• 15 years ago

If you're talking nights and weekends, triple to quadruple the amount of time manhatten estimated.

I'd expect that a properly constructed addition, which is also properly tied in to the existing structure, with wiring and HVAC considerations accounted for to be 40-50K for the most minimum builder grade structure with zero finishing touches and no surprises or problems (which is unrealistic). That's using beyond rock bottom labor costs, i.e. a LOT of DIY.

When we did our 30 x 54 shop, which is freestanding and did not have to be tied into an existing structure, we spent 40K 15 years ago, and we did all of the labor ourselves. No labor costs, all material. It is built with 2x6 and 10' ceilings and is heated and cooled just as you would a home structure. The 2x6 maybe added 10-15% to the initial cost, but was totally worth it from a construction standpoint. Material costs have about tripled, as have labor costs in the 15 years.

Unfortunately, you're not being realistic in your assessment of your project's costs. And, if you're considering hiring non licensed and bonded help, or doing this without proper permits, or other "cost saving" tactics, you're not being realistic of what it COULD cost you.

• 15 years ago

Ok, the kind of thing you envision and the way you detail is kinda what I did for several years.

#1 the foundation for the addition has to be treated like a foundation for a house addition, not a deck---I doubt those two fellas can or want to do that. The construction details need to be done by an architect---makes NO difference what the local codes/local folks say----if the foundation/support members are not built properly, the addition will not stay put.

#2, framing the subfloor at the second floor level will take two guys working an average of 4 hours a night about two weeks to do. They should be able to do one wall a night, and the roof in three nights---and that is simply framing---nothing more. Sheathing should be done before raising the walls(building the walls laying on the subfloor and applying sheathing before raising the wall into place). Raising sheathed walls will require more than two people or specialized wall raising tools. So, just the framing/sheathing will take the better part of two weeks.

Roofing needs to be done now----minimum of four days to install felt and shingles.

The total time, so far---with foundation/subfloor is at least 5 weeks---and that is if there are no problems.

Now the former exterior wall will have to be dealt with---removing siding/whatever and adding a door----3 to 5 days---depending on problems.

Then there is window/electrical/insulation installation---all necessary before sheetrocking. Electrical is an easy three days(part time) and maybe 5 days, depending on problems. Insulation could be a day or two.

50 days so far, with no problems. Like sick days/family emergencies/kids school programs/etc.

If they install sheetrock, three days---they are probably experienced enough to install the sheet rock in 3 days---and then a day eact for taping and three coats of mud---another week.

So, for what is called a semi-finished room---walls, roof, roughed in electrical, sheetrock---barring any time off or problems---close to 2 months.

4 hours a day @$40 an hour for 60 days=$9,600 for labor---discounting foundation/electrical and maybe roofing.

Factor in days off at one per week adds another week of time for just the time of job---mot counting foundation. Easily three months so far to get to the point you and DH can start painting/trimming/finishing.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for all the posts. I have been pretty much swayed away from hiring our friend and his son because of the insurance issues several of you mentioned.

On the good side, we did get a written out bid today from a local contractor whom we know personally. We have seen several homes he has built (and know the people that live in them), he is liscensed and bonded. His bid came in at $25,000., but we can do some of the work ourselves to cut cost - so at least $2000. and as much as about $3500. can be taken off that amount. We are still waiting on one other bid.

We will be getting all the needed permits.

Thanks again.

• 15 years ago

we just added on to our house. 38x16. my husband and uncle did the additon. it took them 2 weeks to black it out. now they took their time and normally worked 7-2. after it was blacked out the siding di not take long at all-my husband and briother. we re shingled our entire roof so thta is not factored in the time either.

we are still working on the inside. but this is just a rough figure on blacking out

• 15 years ago

We ended up hiring the contractor that we knew. 2 carpenters and 1 weekend the shell (walls, roof) was up. Next weekend the windows and door will be put in, probably the electrical, insulation and maybe even some sheet rock installed. The roofers took maybe 2 hours (remember this is a small room - 17 X 14). I think by mid-April we'll be enjoying our new room.

• 15 years ago

Good deal! Thanks for letting us know.