Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonnewhouse

Chandelier or not in Dinning room?

11 years ago
Some dinning rooms have chandeliers that are over stated and take away from the romantic relaxed feeling you should have in a dinning room. All things considered (properly sized chandelier) do you think a dinning room has to have a chandelier, or is pot lighting enough?

Comments (14)

• 11 years ago
    I like a chandelier. My neighbor has only pot lighting and she loves it.
  • 11 years ago
    It depends entirely on the style of the room, and the architecture. I think sometimes in a very large room with very high ceilings, it looks almost silly to have a chandelier over the table unless both are very large. For a "normal" sized dining room with 8' ceilings and a "normal" sized table, I think you can go either way without it looking funny.

I agree with you that some chandeliers become the focal point. Personally I prefer my table setting to be the focus in my dining room. I have a very simple hanging light over my table.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If you mean recessed can lighting as "pot" lighting then my recommendation is for a hanging fixture. Recessed cans over a dining table are very limiting and make no contribution towards the "mood" of the scene. There are chandeliers and their are pendants. Chandeliers tend to be ornate but don't necessarily have to be. Pendants can have multiple heads or single heads. The over all concept should be to provide sufficient lighting that the diner can see their meal and so that you have enough task light that you can sufficiently clean up when your guests go home. Consider adding a dimmer.
  • 11 years ago
    In a regular size, 8 ft ceiling dining room, a single pendant fixture or a simple chandelier can be sufficient lighting over the dining table. If you have an extra serving surface (like a buffet) you might want to put the spots over that area (or a pair of lamps) for area specific lighting when you use it. None of this lighting has to be so intrusive that it interferes with the overall design of the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Recessed lights on a dimmer switch would be my choice, especially if the room is small.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think a dining room should always be dressed and a chandelier is a great way to do that.. It is the scale and style that is most important and it should always be on a dimmer. Sconces are the earings of a room and can add great ambience as well. Even in very modern rooms there are some really cool fixtures that will compliment without over taking the room. The chandelier does not need to be the focal point if well chosen. Without more information I cant really make more recommendations. So MY answer to you is yes a chandelier is a must and pots are not enough.
  • 11 years ago
    Very good example there, Dytecture :)
  • 11 years ago
    Usually, except for upholstery, drapes, and sometimes a rug, most dining rooms are full of wood surfaces. Chandeliers, even if simple, seem to dress the room and add life. They can provide some interest for a mirror to reflect. Seems mirrors often find their way into the dining room and there is nothing beautiful or interesting to reflect. Chandeliers can provide that beauty and interest.
    Chastain · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of more than one hanging light as shown in the above pics. It gives you the jewelry without having one large one in the center. Because these are smaller they can be colorful or even add some crystal for sparkle. Crystal also takes up less visual space.
  • 11 years ago
    No
  • 10 years ago
    Our new home is open, linear ---living room, dining room, then kitchen with an island (sort of like a Charleston single house). I want to have a chandelier in the living and one or 2 in the kitchen over the island. Then none in the dinig room. Any suggestions?
  • 6 years ago

I don't like chandeliers. They seem to be an unnecessary appendage, especially the ones that are ornate.

• 6 years ago

I am trying to decide this question too..I have 4 can lights over the table which have bright bulbs in them and then 3 around the perimeter of the room that are not bright..I use those when we have company...My issue is that I use the dining room table for lots of craft projects and cutting out patterns and need the bright lights...Any one out there use their table for other stuff and still have a chandelier?

12 ft ceilings and a 14' x 10' room. Open plan to kitchen which is Mexican style with tiles etc. and the table is an old Spanish style table with orange covered velvet cushions on kinda ornate matching wooden chairs. What to do?