Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alice_wong8746

Wet bar using IKEA cabinets?

9 years ago
We are building a wet bar in the basement and have decided to go with IKEA cabinets. The back part of the bar that touches the wall (with the sink and upper cabinets) will be made with the regular SEKTION kitchen cabinets since we just need that part to be the usual height.

But we don't know what to use for the separate "front island" part of the bar where people will sit. That's the part that's usually a bit higher to accommodate bar stools. I've attached sample pics.

Does anyone know if IKEA SEKTION cabinets come in different heights? If not, do they have something else that can be used?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• 9 years ago
    A better way to phrase it is - does IKEA sell cabinets/counters that are 42 inches in height? Thanks!
  • 9 years ago
    Sarah Richardson had the same problem with IKEA and one of her kitchens. She wanted an island but IKEA cabinets were not tall enough. She had a base built for cabinets and it looked great. As I recall the base was wrapped to look like crown molding.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yes they do make cabinets that tall (I think 40") but your sample photos don't have cabinets that tall, they have a panel that tall with counters above. If you put cabinets there your stools can't pull in...
  • 9 years ago
    I'll google that Sarah Richardson example and see if I can find a (fake?) base to install.

And yes, I'm going to be doing it a bit differently than in those pictures - most likely with just an overhang counter to enable stools to pull up. I'll hunt around IKEA for those 40 inch high cabinets then. Thank you, both!
  • 9 years ago

The 40 inch cabinets are actually wall cabinets - not that it matters for how you want to use them but it will make them easier to find.

• PRO
    9 years ago

As mentioned above, you can always mount the cabs on boxes (base) and then finish to suit. Many cabinets are on bases...Ikea normally doesn't do it. In essence you build the base to the required height...and then instead of mounting the Ikea on their legs...you mount them on the bases you have had custom made. I snick more money in material and time = build to suit what you need.

• 9 years ago
    It was Sarah's House: her mid century back split reno. You can find it on HGTV. You can just see the higher cabinets she bumped up. She didn't want people looking into the prep mess area from LR. The other side had bar stools as I recall.
  • 9 years ago
    Awesome - thanks so much! I was wondering where people find bases or if they need to build them separately, which sounds like I'll have to get done if I don't use the 40 inch wall cabinets.

On that note, does it make a difference if the wall cabinets are used as the bar island/counter? I don't know if they're less sturdy or whatnot since they technically are not made to be a table that people put things on and likely will lean against.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you so much for the pictures Mia! I looked for them but couldn't find so this is great :)
  • 9 years ago

Alice

Maybe a little late but I have successfully used Ikea cabinets for an island using a 2x4 frame with the kickboards cut down to cover the base. The most expensive part was the matching cover panels for the back! I also used two butcher block worktops to make a custom top.

Greatest issue was stiffness: had to really screw it down to the base in multiple locations. With hindsight I would make sure there is framing below every cabinet join.

I've used Ikea kitchens many times, and with imagination you can be very creative!