Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elainekayc

Can an above-fireplace wall-mounted T.V. be damaged by fireplace heat

Our 55" T.V. is presently supported on a cedar chest. For comfortable viewing we would like to mount it on the wall. Advice re quality mounting equipment would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    9 years ago

Yes, yes it can be damaged! Your municipality will have a code about how close any flammable material can be to the flame and/or heat source. TV suppliers sometimes also have suggestions to keep a warranty valid.

Elaine Christensen thanked User
  • 9 years ago

Thank you, Joanne. I was afraid that may be the case although that type of mounting is frequently featured in decorating magazines it can also be hard on the neck).

• PRO
    9 years ago

It's a fireplace manufacturer "code" not only building. It's from 8" to 10", but this distance will not protect TV from overheating. Easy fix- install mantel reflecting the hot air away from TV. Even better if unit is recessed in wall.

Woodeden Dr. · More Info

Elaine Christensen thanked Annett Group Inc.
  • 9 years ago

Thank you Annett. I wonder also, especially if the unit is recessed, if there can also be too much heat from the fireplace flue behind the wall.

• PRO
    9 years ago

The " niche " for TV is closed, not open to the vent from fireplace. Bigger mantel is better, but on the picture you see , granite mantel is only 2" thick , TV is recessed and few years we have no problems.

• PRO
    9 years ago

And Joanne was right.. before mantel installation TV was hanging on wall and was overheated. After we recessed TV and installed Granite, when we touched the unit was completely cold. Small thing makes big difference. Like 1/2" hole in the boat.... :) Using modern, linear fireplace TV can be at the right level for your neck....

Elaine Christensen thanked Annett Group Inc.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

The answer is Yes, your TV can be damaged by heat from a fireplace, but if you have some professional help to work out the details, you should be able to come up with an arrangement that will work for you and protect your technology.

There are some situations where recessing the TV will help, and others where recessing the TV will create a much worse problem. There is no general rule here that will always work, except that the further the TV is a way from the fireplace the better, and most folks don't seem too excited about that particular rule-of-thumb. ;-)

I suggest contacting your local National Fireplace Institute professional(s). You can find them here: http://www.nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

Most of us LOVE to give out free advice to help keep you from doing something you'll regret.

Here are a few of our projects with TVs over the fireplace:

Stonehaven · More Info

inglenook fireplace · More Info

Monolithic modern fireplace · More Info

Elaine Christensen thanked COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Non combustible mantel will help without worries about clearance

Elaine Christensen thanked Omega Stone Mantels
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Please explain what you mean by non-combustible mantel.....where can one be purchased and what is the non-combustible material it is made from. I have spent over 2 hrs so far this evening searching with such key words. Nothing helpful has popped up. But it got me to this point

Elaine Christensen thanked Kimono Art Studio
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A non-combustible material would be stone/concrete (granite supply company, ? stone mason to supply concrete or specialty countertop company) or metal. If a metal mantle, I suppose there would have to be a heat-deflecting shield at the top of the fireplace opening so that the metal mantle itself would not become too hot, thus transfer that heat to the wall material (e.g. drywall or wood) to become a possible fire hazard. There are rules as to how far a mantle should be above the fireplace opening, but I do not know them.

EKC

Addendum: Several years ago Canadian Living Magazine featured an article about making your own mantle from various components readily available in stores like Home Depot and the like - the style was traditional but not overdone.

• PRO
    4 years ago

thank you! your reply supports what I have been finding, esp the shield. Was hoping to find a source for lightweight non combustible that I could make my own mantle. All the above mentioned are very heavy and require pros to install and $$

Elaine Christensen thanked Kimono Art Studio
  • PRO
    4 years ago

$$ sign vary from one to another, sometime you say $1500 and people find it expensive and other time you will say $10 000 and people are happily surprise. Clearances are not stipulate by the city unless itis a masonry fireplace. each prefabricated wood or gas fireplace have their own clearances and you need to refer to the manual instruction

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thank you Omega Stone and thank you Elaine....I'll search for the Canadian article. Fingers crossed!

• PRO
    4 years ago

You did not specify if it is a gas or wood fueled fireplace or an insert. Some of the gas (and wood) burning inserts actually make a heat deflector as an accessory. It's really just a piece of angled iron that pushes the heat away. You could probably have one made from a metal fabricator if the non-combustible mantel options don't pan out. If it's just a wood burning fire place (no insert) then most of the heat actually goes up the chimney, anything hung above the mantel should be fine.

• 4 years ago

We just purchased a gaz fireplace and we were told we need to install a galvanize mantel, cost $900 CDN

• PRO
    4 years ago

Omega has a canadian manufacture

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, I did forget to clarify. Thank you. It is a heatolator gas insert 32" with direct vent installed in a new made cubby. I plan to contact the co I bough it from to inquire about shield. I played around last night with some ideas. Made a makeshift shield and used thermometer and found on #3 (out of 5) flame height the temp along the wall up to tv bottom edge registered 120 degrees in less than 15 minutes. But when I turned the fan on that is built in, it cooled that area down to 70 degrees and kept it there for over an hour. I just don't care to run the fan as it is somewhat noisy but will do this if it saves the TV!! With summer coming, we won't be using the fire much and will shift to chimenea outdoors, but wanted to figure out a permanent mounting design for surround and the TV that would be safe and aesthetic by next winter.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, heat can damage most TV's. The fireplace dealer can help deflect some of that heat with the shield and fan. I know this is a common arrangement for the TV, but the problems are obvious. Personally I would find another place in the room for the TV and leave the fireplace for the heat and romance!! Best wishes.

Elaine Christensen thanked Collinswood Designs Inc