sewsmore

Grandfather Clocks - Yes or No?

Bev

Divani Casa Arvada Modern Style Pink Velvet & Gold Finish Sofa · More Info

I have loved grandfather clocks as long as I can remember but I do not see them very often in living room or family room designs. Are grandfather clocks still used?
Princess Fantasy Musical Motion clock · More Info

Yes to a Traditional Grandfather Clock
No to a Traditional Grandfather Clock
Other - Please explain in comments

• Bev

I totally agree. Thanks rollinggirl!

• Jennifer K

Most of the new grandfather clocks I see don't do anything for me. Perhaps it's the too-glossy brass or the overly ornamented pediments, but they don't feel authentic to me.

Now an antique grandfather clock in working condition can be a thing of beauty! But remember, if you have one, everyone in the house will know about it every hour, on the hour! And everyone in the same room will hear the ticking. It may have you looking over your shoulder for a crocodile a la Capt. Hook.

Bev thanked Jennifer K
  • lefty47

HI -- They are beautiful but are a pain to have . Unless you have a big house and a place for it to sit forever they are not worth owning . They are actually all most impossible to sell too. My sister in law wanted one for years and finally got one for their 25 anniversary and the regretted it shortly after . It was too big for their small house and needed help to move it and it's chiming was loud . They had a very hard time selling it at a loss .

Bev thanked lefty47
  • Bev

Thanks Jennifer and lefty47! This is something in the back of my mind and I would have to discuss it further with my husband before purchasing one. The noise from the grandfather clock will not be any worse than our alarm system, which I have gotten used to.

• Jennifer K

If it's the casework that you love, you could have a china cabinet made in a fruitwood (apple perhaps). I figure if you're going to drop a couple grand on something, might as well get something that no one else has.

Bev thanked Jennifer K
  • Bev

That's a great idea except my house came with two corner built in china cabinets in my dining room.

• rollinggirl

It wasn't a grandfather clock. We had a cuckoo clock when I was a kid. It did the Westminster chime every hour day and night. It binged every quarter hour. By the time I was sixteen I hated that thing with a passion. Fortunately it wasn't a valuable antique , because my Mom ' disappeared ' it one night. Best night sleep I'd had in years. :)

Bev thanked rollinggirl
  • Bev

A cuckoo clock would make me "Cuckoo"!

• eightpondfarm

we have a large old grandfather clock that was in her home in CT. when we moved here to this Missouri farmhouse it did not get put up. It remains in pieces...14 yrs later. Someday, if we ever move to a city/town house again it will reappear. Living with one is very much like living with a pet. It has it's own personality and makes it's presence felt. I personally like it. But i'm a little quirky....

Bev thanked eightpondfarm
  • smileyface2013

I was always fascinated with the one at my grandparents' house, as a child. The hypnotic ticking always made me drowsy, lol. I still love them as an adult, I think the antique ones are so cool, but it would be out of place in my modern/contemporary home, and the ticking and chimes would drive me nuts after about a day.

Bev thanked smileyface2013
  • ninigret

well, its a responsibility to own things that take up space, have a single purpose, and you have a hard time moving. you have to have the right house or its even a bigger commitment.

Bev thanked ninigret
  • Interior Kitty
    Depends on the style. Modern, no way, Classic and Industrial Farmhouse are fine.
    Bev thanked Interior Kitty
  • Bev

Thanks eightpondfarm, smileyface, nnigrt, and Kitty! I have a house that was built in 1945 and I love traditional furnishings. I love some of the older more ornate furniture than what is made today. I'm finally in a house that is big enough for a grandfather clock. I may try going to garage sales this summer and see if I can find a clock that is still working and in good shape. If we have to refinish it, it would be no problem. I appreciate all of the feedback!

• ninigret

not sure that garage sales may be the best place, but best of luck with your search!

Bev thanked ninigret
  • Bev

If garages sales do not work, we have what's called Traders World in this area. It's a huge place where shops set up and sell anything from household items to wedding dresses. I have never been but I understand you can get really good deals there. I might also have to explore some antique shops but they may be a little pricey.

• ninigret

i think Traders world sounds like a good bet.

Bev thanked ninigret
    Solrac Furniture
    yes it's a grandfather clock but it's a replica
    Bev thanked Solrac Furniture
  • Bev

That makes sense RedChair because of the low price!

• Bev

I purchased a grandfather clock tonight! I found one online on clearance and there will never be a better time to purchase one. Thanks to everyone for your input!

• rollinggirl

YAY. I hope you enjoy it .

Bev thanked rollinggirl
  • Bev

Thanks rollinggirl! I'm sure I will since I have been waiting a llloooonnnnggg time for this!

Solrac Furniture

great enjoy it

Bev thanked Solrac Furniture
  • Lori

Yes--because mine was made for me by my grandfather.

Bev thanked Lori
  • Bev

How wonderful Loriltx! Someday, I want my husband to build me one but until he finds the time, I did purchase a small grandfather clock on clearance.

• Lori

My grandfather made clocks as a hobby. He made a grandfather's clock for each of his grandchildren. I am now 60, and he has been gone for almost 30 years, but i can see him as clear as day every time I look at that clock. He was an extremely talented man.

Bev thanked Lori
  • Bev

That is really fabulous Loriltx that he made each of you a grandfather clock! He had to be talented to be able to make those clocks! You and I are the same age.

• vidsquid

I love mine! It’s big, ornate, mahogany and brass. The craftsmanship is spectacular. It’s a Howard Miller, play 3 different chimes. ❤️

Bev thanked vidsquid
  • Bev

Yours sounds like a beauty! Someday, I would love one like that!

Norwood Architects

Very seldom see them but if you love them and especially if you have a family heirloom clock I would definitely suggest incorporating it into your home.