Shop Products
citizenchan

New hardwood floor issues - Should I be angry about the workmanship?

citizenchan

We recently bought a house in Alexandria, VA. We've gotten settled in a bit more now, and every few days I see a new imperfection or workmanship issue that I am wondering if I should accept as part of a owning hardwood floors, or if I should complain and get fixed.

Your advice would be very helpful. Do I need to raise a stink, or is this negligible stuff that comes with the territory?

The full ideabook of issues is here:
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/72937122/thumbs/floor-issues

So, the GC sub-contracted a company to do the floors in our house. The GC has a warranty for their work, but it doesn't explicitly state anything about the quality of the workmanship other than paint, which won't blister or peel. It says "other services" are warrantied but nothing else.

The lower floors were pre-finished floors that had been installed previously that we had resurfaced and stained.
The upper floor got all new wood, it was carpet before, and then stained to match the lower floor.

Cost for this a few minutes from DC Metro, was about $8,000, not including the cost of wood.
I'm inclined to accept these issues, but they are piling up.

On the lower level, the biggest issues are unevenness in the sanding. Some unevenness is OK, it's gives the floors a hand-scraped, aged look that we like since the unevenness mostly follows the grains of the wood. But some spots are dipped like this, mostly at the thresholds and transitions, the poly coating is also a little puddled here, but this is the worst dip and it's unnoticeable except under very close scrutiny.

Floor Issues · More Info

On the upper floors, which were newly installed and stained. It looks like in some spots they damaged the wood, stained some areas unevenly, and left small gaps in corners and notches.

Please take a look at the other images below or in the gallery and let me know if you think I have cause to be angry. And if I should be angry and call them up, is there even anything they can do to repair things at this point?

Thank you,

Upper floor damage - This is the worst one.

Floor Issues · More Info

Gap

Floor Issues · More Info

Uneven stain

Floor Issues · More Info

Tiny gaps

Floor Issues · More Info

Lower level dip again with straight edgefor comparison.
Floor Issues · More Info

Gap
Floor Issues · More Info

"Chattering?" from the sander?
Floor Issues · More Info

Nail
Floor Issues · More Info

Uneven stain
Floor Issues · More Info

Gus & Sons Home Services LLC
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Comprehensive Residential Construction & Remodeling in Virginia