Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sseg

SW Alabaster / what trim?

sseg
7 years ago
Hi! I'm painting my house on alabaster by sherwin williams. I need a trim that goes well with it! Also I want an accent wall but not sure about what color? Any advice will be appreciated

Comments (701)

• mdefree
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hanna a lighter color than agreeable gray would be sw crushed ice. It does have blue undertones .

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

@lin15 - when I painted my home white I used a similar color to Alabaster and painted ceilings and trim with the same color, just used different sheens. Flat on the ceiling, eggshell on the walls and Semi gloss on the doors and trim.

Alabaster is a beautiful white for this type of application.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

@Hanna Burt - Crushed Ice is lighter than Agreeable gray, but it is not the same hue - greener and is a much lower Chroma (grayer) which makes it a cool gray vs Agreeable Gray which is a warm gray. I would test Limewash and Taupe Of The Morning to see which one works best in your space. As you can see the Hue is within 2 degrees of Agreeable Gray and the Chroma is within one point (Limewash being just a hair grayer and Taupe of the Morning being just a hair more colorful.

• Vidushi Hora
    3 years ago

If we're painting our walls SW Alabaster and the trim is HRW (to try and match the Ikea Ringhult Cabinets), would you recommend Alabaster or HRW for the ceiling in a flat sheen? After reading through this thread and some of the earlier comments, we're leaning towards Alabaster for the ceiling but wondering if anyone has any other thoughts?

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I would use the SW Alabaster for the ceilings.

Have you already painted the trim? I don't know about the Ringhult Cabinets, but my memory was telling me that Ikea whites are a bit creamier and warmer than HRW,

If you have not already painted the trim I would take a door to SW and have them do a color match.

I just looked up a match and someone posted that they had a piece of furniture color matched at SW.

• Vidushi Hora
    3 years ago

Jennifer, thanks for confirming on the use of Alabaster for the ceilings. The Ringhult cabinets are whiter than most of Ikea's other stuff.

On another thread someone noted that they have the same cabinets and that the BM Super White is a close match (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4321179/white-paint-to-go-with-ikea-ringhult-white-high-gloss-cabinets). Our painters are insisting on SW, so I thought HRW might be a good match. We're still under a stay at home order here so haven't been able to take a door sample to a SW store for a colour match unfortunately.

• housecrazy0_0
    3 years ago

I used Agreeable Grey throughout my house. I loved the color, but felt it was too dark. So I asked SW to lighten it 25%. It was exactly what I was looking for after 15 paint samples from 4 different brands. It was the only one that maintained a greige in all lighting. The others had too much undertone of other colors.

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

We have Ringhult Cabinets and SW Extra White matches perfectly.

• Brianne Birch
    2 years ago

I love Alabaster. We have gone with Alabaster in our last two homes. Most recently we went with low lustre finish (similar to a satin and slightly higher sheen than eggshell). We chose that color and finish for walls, trim, and doors! It feels clean and more minimalist. We also painted our ceilings to with Zinsser Ceiling Paint and Primer. It’s a bright white that contrasted with the Alabaster nicely. Picture attached was taken in a S/W facing room early afternoon with no additional lighting.

• mamamountin
    2 years ago

Yes, we ended up going with Alabaster in Satin on our walls and trim. The trim is an enamel so there is just a very slight contrast. And pure white on the ceilings. Pure white and Alabaster also work very well together. And we Alabaster in our exterior trim paired with Interesting Aqua on the body. Alabaster is just an all around beautiful white. Very soft and calming!

• S Kay
    2 years ago

Do you have pictures of your ceiling and walls?

• jesslcac
    2 years ago

Alabaster walls, ceiling and beams

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Gorgeous! Don't you love it and it's a dream to decorate with.

• jesslcac
    2 years ago

Thank you Flo...and yes!!! ❤️

• francis_c_mejias
    2 years ago

Hello! Thank you for sharing! We are about to paint our house in Alabaster with different sheens.

ceiling- flat

walls- satin or eggs

trim - semigloss

doors-semigloss

any advice, thoughts??

hpuse is sw facing

• Valerie Venables
    2 years ago

What colour trim should I use with Alabaster White.

• ishop19
    2 years ago

Read the whole thread!! :-)

• oreet
    2 years ago

Francis_c_mejias,
    The only sheens I would change are:
    Walls = Eggshell
    Trim & Doors = Satin

• trendtown
    2 years ago

hello - I am doing my walls SW alabaster (satin), Trim and doors highly reflective white in semi gloss trim paint and my ceiling SW extra white. My cabinet uppers are SW extra white and my lowers are walnut. I'm wondering if I should do the trim, doors and ceiling in Extra white instead of Highly reflective white? Also, I don't know what sheen for the ceiling. I've read the trend is satin/eggshell vs. flat!

• jesslcac
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

No need to introduce another white. I’d use Extra White instead of HRW. Its a beautiful white!

• mdefree
    2 years ago

Trendtown, you have a lot of whites going on. I will give you my expert paint advice. Your cabinets are sw extra white. You need to stay with sw extra for your trim, ceilings, and doors for a cohesive look. Always go flat on your ceilings. You don’t want light bounces off your ceilings so keep it flat. Eggshell for the walls or satin you can go either satin or semi gloss for trim. Since, you are going satin for the walls then go semi gloss for the trim. Extra white is a beautiful color for cabinets and trim. Excellent choice!

• trendtown
    2 years ago

Well things are rapidly changing - I am now doing all white uppers and lowers and the walnut island. Uppers and lowers will be SW extra white. Thanks to all for your help! I am so thankful for everyone's advice!

• Christian O.
    2 years ago

Hi Everyone! And especially @Lori A. Sawaya & @Jennifer Hogan

We are getting all of the trim, crown, and doors in our house painted. Our walls are repose gray, our kitchen cabinets are alabaster white, and our floors are darkish brown. Yup, very much a 2010s scheme. What color for the trim, crown, and doors works best with alabaster white kitchen cabinets?

I do not want the trim to be alabaster white because the lack of light on my second floor will make alabaster white will look too yellow. I have white/yellow trim color now and can't stand it.

Thank you for the design help!!!

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Do you know what color trim you do have right now that is too yellow?

• Christian O.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi @Jennifer Hogan, I don't know the color but I feel it is a slightly warmer, creamier color than alabaster. Here is a pic. In bright light it looks fine, but in less light & at night the yellow cream color really presents itself.

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Maybe a High Reflective White or a bright white could work well?

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Can you PM me with a phone number and I will call you when I get off work?

• jesslcac
    2 years ago

SW Pure White would be my choice

• Zory
    last year

@trendtown

how did it all turn out? i have extra white ceiling and was thinking to do alabaster walls and all trim and cabinets extra white. is the extra white too stark in comparison?

• HU-558061979
    last year

@zory. Hi. It was great. I would say use the high end SW line (cashmere) as it is a different tone of alabaster than the Promare. Learned the hard way! I am not there now or I would send pictures!!

• Zory
    last year
    last modified: last year

@trendtown Yes was planning on using cashmere.

the extra white cabinets dont look cool? what countertop amd backsplash did you go with?

• HU-558061979
    last year

@zoey.

• HU-558061979
    last year

Oops I’m trying to post pictures. I have a ton of light coming in.

• HU-558061979
    last year

Oops I’m trying to post pictures. I have a ton of light coming in.

• HU-558061979
    last year

Just realized these are photos without the backsplash in yet. Dishwasher is panels but not available yet

• HU-558061979
    last year

Backsplash is Arizona tile very simple white. Quartz is maestro. I did one side of island open (by dog bowl) and other side is waterfsll

• HU-558061979
    last year

@zoey. See photos above.

• Zory
    last year

@trendtown looks good. I was expecting a bigger contrast in the two whites but they seem to blend in nicely.

what maestro quartz is it? doesnt look like it has much veining.

• trendtown
    last year

@Zoey - first I seem to have two Houzz accounts. Does anyone know how to put these accounts together? One is on my phone and one is on a laptop. Zoey, our house is an ultra modern townhouse in a very urban area in a major city - super fun. The first floor is essentially one long room. . As you can see from the pictures, we have not decorated the dining room yet (it's our old furniture from our suburban home). There will be those who say the shaker uppers are not super modern, but it was what I liked. I think the reason the SW extra white works is because of the amount of light in the house and the walnut lowers. Also, the floors are a super pretty natural oak with no stain, just a gloss so it all kind of works together. We are going to be tiling our fireplace (floor to ceiling) in gray basalt by neolith but it's not in yet.

The quartz is called BQ8815P-3CM / PQ MISTERIO 3C. There is definitely not a lot of veining - I wanted it to be somewhat plain. The two paints blend really nice but I have to tell you that at first they didn't - the contractor used Alabaster ProMare and it was an entirely different color when he redid it using Cashmere. I painted the entire house in Alabaster.

Hope this helps!

• Shiloh S
    last year

@mamamountin what color

did you put on your doors with alabaster trim and walls?

• HU-558061979
    last year

@shiloh we did SW extra white on trim and doors!

• Shiloh S
    last year

@mamamountin ah! ok thank you. Would you mind sharing pictures?

• Jean Brodeur
    last year

what do you think about alabaster walls and agreable gray on the doors?

• Shiloh S
    last year

I thought this might be helpful for anyone who is struggling with indecision like I did on trim color with alabaster. The window trim here in my nook, as well as the molding in hall, is semi gloss alabaster. Light obviously affects this.

This bedroom photo is with Pure White trim. Im really happy with both.

• Jennifer Lynn
    last year

@shiloh that is beautiful and you helped me immensely!!!! May I ask what you did on your ceilings? 🙈🙈🙈

• Shiloh S
    10 months ago

@jenniferlynn I am so glad my post helped you out!! My ceiling is standard ceiling white. I’m really happy I didnt match the ceiling to walls.. that would be a nightmare later on. I think it looks fine with alabaster walls.

• Nathan Adams
    7 months ago

Shiloh... What color is on your walls?

• Nathan Adams
    7 months ago

Will a higher sheen make Alabaster look more white or more yellow?

• Shiloh S
    7 months ago

@nathanadams alabaster walls. Sheen may make it brighter, but your lighting will dictate color changes.

• Stacey S
    4 months ago

Shiloh, really love your photos. Do you happen to remember what line of paint you used? There’s a comment above that says their contractor first used Albaster Promar and it looked completely different, they ended up redoing with Alabaster from the Cashmere line.

• bilety
    last month

Hello Lori, I realize that this post is older but I hope you are still able to advise me. I have a Greek revival home in North Carolina with plenty of sun exposure and some trees on both sides. Thinking of painting my house traditionally with white walls and black shutters. Decided on SW Alabaster and my painter is suggesting a different color trim. Would you do all house, walls and trim Alabaster (flat and gloss) or would you pick another trim color? Is so which one? Which black color would you choose for shutters? If not black, what other color would you choose? Maybe I should switch it up as the current color palette is black and white as well :-)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022