Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jawaltz

Porcelain that looks like french/English limestine

6 years ago
Hi! I have been searching for a porcelain tile that mimics the look of European limestone - example pics attached. I cannot find anything in the US. Everything looks too modern with tighter grout lines. Anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Comments (44)

• 6 years ago
    Thank you! Looks like that is a UK company as well. Not sure if they have distributers in the US but I will look into it.
  • 6 years ago

I'm having the same problem! Everything I've found in the US is much more contemporary and is rectified as opposed to the more natural tumbled edge I'm looking for. If you find a supplier will you please post that? I'll do the same if I find something! Thanks jawaltz! And good luck!

• 6 years ago

I'm going to follow along, in case I end up wanting something similar. ;-)

• 6 years ago
    I haven't found anything! Even the real limestone I've seen here doesn't compare. I think I'm going to go with peacock pavers.
  • 6 years ago

We used the Rialto White and liked it.

• 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago

I am in the same predicament. Such a shame no one in the US can make a descent looking limestone-like tile.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have been searching for months for a floor like this in the US. I am starting to think it doesn't exist. Did anyone find anything? The other problem is that everything in the US is 12x24 which I hate. I want somethign more along the lines of 24x36, which is what floors of stone does.

• 2 years ago

Yes Ostuni by Elysium

they have several colors and size options

https://elysiumtiles.com/product?id=Ostuni+Sabbia+16+x+24

• 2 years ago

this is actually the same thing I found! They must be labeled under two different names.

• 2 years ago

Following

• 2 years ago

https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/detail/pietra-ionica-tile/?itemNo=100000575

this is very similar to the Ostuni/Petrastone. Not sure if its the same thing just rebranded, or if Bedrosian has their own version. I'm having samples overnighted to my house to see the difference.

• 2 years ago

@Ellis Wright i actually saw the Bedrosians in person two weeks ago. I brought home a sample to compare it to my Elysium sample. I do they they are the same. Bedrosians said they are not the same, however, I think they are just saying this.

(In the end, we ended up purchasing a French Limestone)

I have an image of the elysium in grigo finished in two different projects, I have attached below:

• 2 years ago

Kay...this is so helpful. And the two elysium projects that you photographed above, what size are the tiles? Is that the 16x24 in the shower and under the vanity with the black hardware? I have been hesitant to purchase just ONE size (as opposed to the versailles pattern they consistently feature) as I was unsure how the variation in color would pan out. But yours looks really good! @kay also which limestone did you end up going with?

• 2 years ago

@Ellis Wright These are not my house. These are from two different projects, one that I found online and the homeowner was nice enough to discuss her project with me and confirm it is the Elysium tile in grigio. She did the 16x24 (this created more of a modern look)

The other bathroom is the herringbone bathroom that is a local project that my local tile store (that sells the Elysium tiles) did. They emailed this to me. It is of one of their clients when i was considering using the elysium tiles.

In the end we decided to go with a true French Limestone.

• 2 years ago

@Ellis Wright I forgot to mention, I think the variation of color is nice! And these tiles are so affordable that you can order extra and really hand select yoir favorite colors and layout with the variation of color that you like best!

I was quoted $8.25 sf for the Elysium but we went with an $18 sf French Limestone. Hope that helps!

The elysium tiles were just too cool in color in my home. We have a lot of natural light!

• 2 years ago

@kay thank you, thank you! very helpful. xx

• 2 years ago

Just looking through this string...great resources! We are building in WY and the designer recommended limestone. Out of my budget! She then found Cerdomus, Italian porcelain tiles that offer tile in French pattern bundles, not crazy expensive but we have not calculated freight! From this string saw Peacock Pavers, in the US! This might be an option for us. This is such a big decision for our home since it will cover the great room/kitchen and dining so I am super anxious about making the right decision.

• last year

Where did you buy your $18 French Limestone?

• last year

following

• last year

@kay Elysium wont sell Ostuni to public, how can I get an account with them? Do you know of any other US dealers selling it? Tile expert shiping time is over 2 months out. I need it quicker

• last year

I found a porcelain look alike called Pierre Neuve by Unicom Starker. I’m in Canada and was able to source it at Tile Master in Barrie, ON. $10/sq ft (CAD).

• 10 months ago

Kay how is the limestone working out? I’m thinking of doing this but worried about strains. I understand there is maintenance involved but I hear it is still very risky

• 9 months ago

Our deisgner pulled this option for us to consider: Terra Porcelain, Color: Erice

https://www.tileamerica.com/products/6/496/mosaics/terra

thoughts?

• 8 months ago

i've been following this discussion for a while now and also searching. We finally decided on Pierre Neuve by Unicom Starker (I see someone else on this feed also recommended it). We chose the color noisette. We have searched high and low and pulled in several samples from various sources. We almost went with the Pietra di Otsuni but the colors were not quite right. The grays showed too much varation (to our liking); however when we found Pierrre Neuve - it was a perfect fit. This is how they describe the tile:

"PIERRE NEUVE COLLECTION IS REMINISCENT OF THE EXPRESSIVENESS OF THE ANCIENT LIMESTONE STONES OF THE MEDITERRANEAN, BRINGING FORTH A PRODUCT WITH A TIMELESS TASTE.THE AESTHETIC INSPIRED BY THE PROVENÇAL CHARM IS ENHANCED BY THE COLOURS OFTHE ORIGINAL STONES,AVAILABLE IN BLANC,CREME, SABLE,AND NOISETTE SHADES,WHICH REPRESENT THE TYPICAL SHADINGVARIATIONS OFTHESE STONES.AN AGED EFFECT AND TUMBLING LEND THEM THE TYPICAL BUTTERY APPEARANCE OF ANCIENT FLOORS, GIVING WARMTH AND SOFTNESS TO ANY ENVIRONMENT."

I'll post photos once it's installed but for reference, here is the sample board which we layed out on our floor. It's a lovely warm grey with subtle variation. It truly looks like limestone.

• 8 months ago

Here is some real Limestone that I've seen in person and it is gorgeous. Limestone black.

It has the rough edges you are looking for.

If I had a spot for it, it would be in my house right now!

• 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I have benn looking for limestone and/or porcelain look limestone for weeks as well… Every one that I find that is the right color is from the UK. Has anyone had any luck recently sourcing it in the US? Sounds like this thread has been going for a few years and not much luck. I have looked at the few recommended samples - has anyone found any others? any help is appreciated as I am stuck in renovation limbo because of my inability to decide on my flooring.

• 6 months ago

TILE AMERICA has a collection call Terra- see link. They look very pretty and come in several different shades and sizes. They also have an ”in your space” app that helps a lot to visualize how it will look. So far these seem the closest to what I am looking for. I need to see them in person though for sure. Has anyone used this line of tiles? https://www.tileamerica.com/products/6/496/mosaics/terra

• PRO
    6 months ago

Here it is 2024 and I'm looking for the same tile that you all have been posting. I'm also exploring the new large-scale porcelain slabs to use in my larger 2 head shower. I love REAL travertine .. light blue or silver vein.. but do not want to have to seal the darn thing every few years.. As I get older. Want less work, not more. Any good ' veined' travertine you'd use on a wall with a limestone floor ?

• 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Dorchester Aged White Stone Effect Porcelain Tiles

https://www.mystonefloor.com/products/dorchester-aged-white-stone-effect-porcelain-tiles

This looks AMAZING in the pictures on their website! But once again UK based. I like the light tumbled aged look and size of these pieces. Looks incredibly authentic. They do not ship to the US however, they are able to accept collection from a third party hauler on your behalf. Please note customs import charges may apply and EORI numbers will be required for delivery-Please inquire for more information.

https://www.mystonefloor.com/pages/delivery

• last month

@carrie F

how did they come out? would you mind sharing photos?

• last month

Carrie—did you get these tiles installed yet? aslo-where in the US did you order from?

• last month
    last modified: last month

I got two sample boxes of the Cerdomus Pietra di Ostuni in small sizes (so I'd get more pieces to check out the color variation) and it is stunning...looks very much like real Jerusalem limestone. Just FYI for anyone looking at the colors, the Sabbia is NOT yellow or as warm as photos make it look; it's actually got some gray in the color and I'd describe it as a creamy slightly taupey sand. Virginia Tile is a US distributor and will ship it to other flooring companies so you can probably work with someone local and get it. I'd get samples but remember this a relatively high color variation tile (part of what makes it look so real) so once you narrow it down it's worth ordering a box to lay out. Others have gotten it from Tile Experts overseas at less cost.

• last month

This is soo hard! I have 3 huge and VERY heavy

sample boards in the Cerdomus Ostuni in the Versailles pattern that showcases the variation very well of Avorio, Sabbia, and Tufo. So the 1st pic shows Avorio and Tufo and the 3rd pic shows Sabbia and Tufo… due to lighting and this spanning about 6 rooms of our house which is an open floor plan, we might have eliminated Avorio as it looks like a vanilla milkshake in our house and the Tufo is decidedly more grey than brown based on painstakingly moving these sample boards to see them in various

lighting over the past week…the next 2 pics are of the Sabbia at different angles in front of my kitchen island and the final

pic is of a display showing Sabbia and it shows sooo much variation. so hard!

• last month

Wow, that last board looks so yellow in the photo! Just another example of photos in various kinds of light and what computer monitors do with color. I laid out several square feet of the Sabbia and it's just shades of cream and taupey/greigey/sand. I do love the variation of all the shades as it makes it look more like real stone, but it's got to be right for what you want.

• last month

@debrak6 any chance you have photos of the Sabbi laid out?

• last month

Debra can you post a picture of them laid out?

• last month

Yes, for sure but it will be a couple of days...will do when I get home.