Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Copper look tiles or no?

6 years ago
What do you think of these large format copper look tiles laid in a brick pattern for our small open concept main floor?

We really like them but are a bit worried they're too bold for the space and potential future buyers.

They would be paired with offwhite greige walls, black lower cabinets, and white quartz. The furniture is black, grey, and saddle leather.

Comments (21)

• 6 years ago
    Nice, but dark. Will probably show every spot and speck.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I like them. and who cares about future buyers (unless you are selling in 6 months)? you're the one living there now. enjoy what you like.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd rather see slate. : ) Or hardwood. But anything is better than three floors in th space. I am tiring fast of all these porcelain in EVERY format. lol

i'd I want a floor that goes with all MY future changes as well.........

• 6 years ago

Copper look tiles or no?

Or no.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I wouldn't bit I don't live there, You do.

• 6 years ago

Very cool tiles. I would be afraid they might look really dark with black cabinet and dark furniture. I would use a light flooring with your kitchen and furniture colors. Since you mentioned future buyers, are you planning on selling soon?

• 6 years ago
    Wood would be my first choice, but the house is on a slab so it would be more trouble than it's worth. We talked about floating floors but are worried about longevity. Plus we want to go to radiant heat. So tile it is.
    We aren't planning on moving for a while, but found out first hand that the ugly mismatched tile we have to rip up is really costly to fix ($4000 plus the new floor) so I don't want it to be a complete turnoff for someone in the future.
    Here are the other shades we orginally considered plus the cardboard with our favorite paint colors. We liked the black but some lovely folks on here talked me out of it because it's so dark. I thought the cement color was too cold and would make it feel like a basement. The medium gray looked kind of dirty with all the variation. And the white seemed high maintenance. We are struggling to find a color that isnt too strong...
  • 6 years ago
    @Jan Moyer I like the idea of slate, but had it in a previous apartment and it was an absolute nightmare to clean. We were trying to find something similar in a smooth tile. Floor and kitchen have to be redone at the same time so definitely looking toward the future with our choices.
    This is the inspiration picture we were working with but I'm afraid the house doesn't get enough sunlight for it. We can do white cabinets if we have to but it's not my favorite.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I like the copper choice.

Have you seen these blacks?

the natural black slate would be nice, and the upkeep really isn't that bad. I have slate in my kitchen, I've sealed it maybe 4 times in 13 years, I use a stone cleaner to mop it. holds up great. (Maybe your previous one wasn't sealed properly?)

the black slate also comes in light charcoal tones.

honed basalt

and take a look here at their beautiful porcelain tile selections

https://tilebar.com/collection/porcelain-tile.html?p=2

https://tilebar.com/montana-chestnut-8x45-porcelain-tile.html

this one is kind of similar to your copper ones,,,and they have other shades and finishes of this line

Linden line
    linden-rust-18x36-matte-porcelain-tile.html

• PRO
    6 years ago

Get a paler wood look. Or do the slate : )

• PRO
    6 years ago

When you're ready to do the walls, you might want to consider wall tiles (epoxy peel & stick) that
    can add a striking effect and dimension to your wall that costs a lot less than
    you might think and are easy to install. Check out some ideas here: https://www.houzz.com/projects/1258135/wall-decor

• 6 years ago
    @Beth H I love all the options you posted! I don’t think our slate was sealed at all (it was a rental). It was permanently dusty as if the slate came up when you swept? Plus I found it hard to mop, but maybe that would change if they were sealed so the mop wasn’t always snagging. I love the slate look but I posted about black tiles earlier and everyone told me it would be way too dark.

I like the “natural grain” tiles you posted that don’t quite look like fake wood too. I really hate the fake wood look with grout, but I do like some natural tones and variation.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Elle,,,yes,,that was the problem. they weren't sealed. I can always tell when mine need sealing because I can wipe off 'dirt'. that's the tile needing sealing. when water beads on the tile and won't absorb, you know it's sealed. If very easy to clean once sealed.

as for snagging, you would need to buy the gauged slate. those are the ones that are cut smoothly and evenly around the edges and on the back. you would also want the ones w/perfectly smooth/flat top finish. they come in lighter gray tones. look at the basalt too. (hardened lava). it's quite smooth and also comes in different tones and finishes.

I agree about the fake wood look tile. hate them. tilebar has very nice styles that actually look pretty real. they will send you 5 samples for $5. go through all of the porcelain flooring on the link i sent you and get some samples.

• 6 years ago
    Beth h gave some great ideas. I looked at that same tile you love. I think it's beautiful, and the metallic finish gives it a little light that a flat finish tile wouldn't offer. in the end, I chose cork.
    if you do choose a 12 x 24 tile, the brick pattern you laid out in the photo is probably not a great idea... all these tiles have a slight bow from the manufacturing and cooling process. an offset of 30 per cent maximum is usually recommended do you don't end up with bumps from the humps...
    Where we have used 12 x 24 or larger, we've used Jack on Jack (no offset, linear) , or noore than 30 per cent.
    Pretty home. good luck in your choices.
    my fave is the floor in the sample room you showed. more neutral, lighter, easier to keep clean looking.
  • 6 years ago

Engineered wood floors can go directly on a slab, can't they? You could look into that if you want wood. A light wood would look great.

• 6 years ago
    @Beth the samples came today (within 24 hours of ordering) and we are loving the brown one you suggested. thank you!
  • PRO
    6 years ago

The Montana or the Linden? glad you like it!

• 6 years ago
    The linden that you posted last :)
  • PRO
    6 years ago

oh nice. I like that one.

• 4 months ago

I really like your original tile. What is it?