Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johannes_rath

AC blowing hot air

5 years ago

I have a 9 year old Goodman condenser (R-22) and a brand new Goodman air handler with convertible coil and TXV to adapt to R-22. On hot afternoons, my AC blows sometimes warm air instead of cool air. The condenser fan is still running. I turn it off for about an hour, turn it back on and it blows cool air again. One AC contractor tells me the compressor is going bad. He says it's running at 99% of the amp capacity. Another AC contractor tells me there is too much Freon in the system. He measured 23 for subcool and 21 for super heat. Do you know who might be correct?

Comments (12)

• 5 years ago

"The condenser fan is still running. I turn it off for about an hour, turn it back on and it blows cool air again."

Do you mean the outside condenser fan or this inside furnace/air handler fan?

• 5 years ago

I turned off the AC system at the thermostat. The condenser and the air handler were turned off for about an hour. After that, I got cold air again.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Basically what I 'suspect' you are accomplishing is that you are giving the system time to equalize.

Once the system has equalized and you turn it back on, the compressor starts and thus gives you cool air again.

If the system is too far unequal from one side the system to the other, the compressor is under too much strain to start. This could be an indication of failure or it could be using so called 'techs' who don't understand 'exactly' how a system is supposed to work.

It's one thing to be able to do a tune up, it is quite another to know how to repair and older system. The caveat if you will is the risk that you repair this unit, the unit may spring a leak or some other problem causing repair not to be worth the money. (It's an R22 unit, right?) You know just because I can repair any brand, doesn't mean it's always worth it. There is no brand immune to the hands of time.

There are also those who 'claim' Goodman is some brand that is more prone to failure than other brands. I tell you it's a myth --- they all fail and this sort of problem on a 9 year old unit is very average.

Problems that you are having now 'could' have been partly brought by those who have serviced the unit.

Both the techs may only be 'partially' right... which ultimately makes them both wrong. Diagnosing a system is an 'in person' sort of business, provided of course you have hired someone capable to do the job you want done.

Deposit all your tune up coupons here.

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• 5 years ago

So, did the guy who did the SC/SH measurement remove some R22 from the system and did that solve the problem?

• 5 years ago

Who installed the new Goodman air handler and TXV? Do both of these techs work for that company? If not, then are you going to call back the air handler installation company?

The two techs are making measurements which show the effect of the problem. It sounds like they don't know how to diagnose and identify the real root cause of the problem.

If we go by Ray's (Austin Air) theory that it is an equalization problem, then would the new TXV be a possible cause of the issue?

I would not consider a 9 year old condenser to be old. At least I hope not because my condensers are the same age. Yes it is an R22 system, but you just sunk a lot of money into your new air handler and coil. You need to hire someone that knows how to do a proper diagnosis.

• PRO
    5 years ago

You're right Mike, 9 year old condenser is not that old, but the R22 refrigerant makes it somewhat obsolete.

This is why you don't hire installers to do retro fit repairs. I almost suspect at this point that this was a 'home warranty' repair with issues.

You know in which the home warranty company issued a replacement AH, I've seen it too many times... but then because it's a Goodman, the brand gets blamed as the culprit.

With that said, this condenser being 9 years old would make it a 2009 model. 2010 was originally the cut off for R22 Freon units. Sure, they eventually worked around that by selling dry units... but the manufacturer knew that the life span of this condenser would be short. You should still get at least 12-15 years from it, but given these current problems that may be a by product of the AH installation that may shorten it's life some more beside the fact that it's an R22 unit.

• 5 years ago

All of this makes more sense if this was the work of a home warranty repair company.

In 2009 several manufacturers stopped selling R-22 equipment. Unfortunately Goodman was not one of those companies.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In 2009 several manufacturers stopped selling R-22 equipment. Unfortunately Goodman was not one of those companies.

Unfortunately Mike, you are misinformed. Even Carrier the lone manufacturer that heavily promoted and invested in R410a systems continued to sell R22 units up to an even beyond 2010 when the 'dry' condensers were all the rage.

Oh, well that Ray Austin is none other than a know it all?

If your preference is to use (or listen to) someone 'anyone' who is illiterate on these subjects that often plague these boards, by all means do not let me stand in your way.

I stand for the truth. If you don't like the truth --- that's your problem.

click picture to enlarge. Taken from an article published Jan. 1, 2010. Read it all here.

• 5 years ago

This is an interesting article on how manufacturer were handling the situation in 2009.

I don't recall Carrier advertising R-22 residential condensers in 2009, but I suppose they had one or two models for retrofits. It was not something I was interested in so I did not do any research.

HVAC contractors who installed new R-22 systems in 2009 were not doing their customers any favors. Not a good choice unless you were going to move in a few years and let it become someone else's problem in the future.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Cost and warranty terms of the equipment. You only know what you know right?

The article was published Jan. 1, 2010 --- not 2009.

It wasn't something you were interest in? Then why post misinformation now?

No matter what you do Mike, what you decide to do now will become someone's problem in the future. They call this life, in case you're wondering. LOL.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The article was written in 2009 and published on New Year's Day 2010.

Ray thanks for correcting me that equipment manufacturers were selling R22 equipment in 2009. This is very important to those people, like myself, who bought new HVAC systems in 2009.

• PRO
    5 years ago

you're welcome Mike. I don't care what you post, as long as it's accurate. To much garbage on the internet as it is.