fish_greg

Miele W1/T1 Washer & Dreyr

DBV DBV

Hello - has anyone purchased the Miele W1/T1 washer and dryer and if so what are your thoughts so far? I did a search, but did not see any user experiences yet, unless I just missed it. Thanks!

• djlandkpl

+1 on no notifications on the washer. Dryer works fine.I made the mistake of reinstalling the app and now I have to accept the terms every time and I don't get washer notifications. I re-paired the machine and got notifications once then they stopped. I contacted Miele support via the app and they got back to me today. They want me to call them to troubleshoot. I don't know why they haven't addressed the Terms acceptance issue. The iOS app store reviews are all complaining about the issue.

• djlandkpl

The iOS Miele app was updated today. The T&C issue seems to be fixed. I had to remove and add my washer for the notifications to start working.

Update 8/9/20: The washer notifications stopped working again.

• Avi Drissman

I was experiencing that T&C bug. Thanks for the heads-up, it’s fixed for me too! 🎉

My washer has been thinking that there’s 20% left on ① and 30% left on ②, but I was thinking that there was no way that there was that much left. So, despite no “you’re out of detergent” warning, I popped out the ① bottle. Empty. (It only took a year.) I popped out the ② and there was about 20% left in it. I looked into the TwinDos compartment and saw:

What a mess. I used paper towels to clean it out as much as I could:

Has anyone else had to clean out the TwinDos compartment?

Anyway, so I put in a new ① and the existing ②, and reset them to 100% and 20%. But I worry about the ②. I could tell I was out of detergent because I saw no suds, but how do I easily tell that I’m out of bleach? Or maybe I just pop it out every month and see how much is left?

As an aside, I’m tempted to dremel away those two notches at the back so I can use European-style refill cartridges. On the other hand, it’s taken me a year to use up one set of bottles, so at the rate I’m going it’s simply not worth the hassle.

• Marilyn

@djlandkpl: Updated the app yesterday. T&C issue gone. Notifications have not gone back despite repeating the set up yet again. Obviously notifications in this app is now broken.

• djlandkpl

I called Miele today regarding the lack of notifications. The agent I spoke with knew about the issue and also had hoped it was resolved with the last update. No other info was available.

• Marilyn

Hmmm, I replied a bit ago but it hasn't appeared, so I will repeat:

I too called Miele today and the tech agent I talked to, this lack of notifications was "new" to him.

I also have 3 other issues:

1. SingleWash is greyed out in the app, I can only select it from the panel on the machine.

2. Handwash is not greyed out in the app, but I still cannot select it from the app. The app won't recognize the selection.

3. Since I lose track of my laundry without notifications, I decided to use the machine's buzzer only to find out that the buzzer is not working. I have it cranked up to full volume and have been standing by the machine when a load has finished to confirm that no buzzer sound is emitted. They are sending out a tech on Friday.

• djlandkpl

@marilyn single wash is greyed out on my app for Normal. I was able to select Handwash and then add Single Wash. There was a weird pause after I selected Handwash.

• Marilyn

@djlandkpl: Thanks for the input. Single Wash is greyed out in my app for all the cycles that can have that option. Maybe the technician can sort that out on Friday. For me, when I select Handwash, after the pause that you mentioned, it goes back to asking me to select a program. It just won't accept the Handwash selection. Sigh.

Does your buzzer work?

• djlandkpl

@Marilyn I will try the buzzer this weekend.

• Marilyn

• djlandkpl

@Marilyn I ran a load today. No washer notification but the buzzer worked. There is a volume setting in settings for the buzzer and one of the options is off.

• Marilyn

Thank you for checking that. I am wondering if when my machine was first set up in the guts of the coding the buzzer is "off", because I have the volume set for 5 bars and still no sound. I did have a technician come out right after delivery to program in the Water Plus so maybe I told him to disable the buzzer and forgot?? I'll find out tomorrow when he returns.

• a1an

Just briefing the most recent threads on this thread....I don't need no app to tinker with a washer or dryer.. Hell, I like my current car but I hate the electronic speedometer, ablit it's kewl and and I hate the touch console control buttons. I want *hard mechanical buttons*

• Marilyn

@djlandkpl: Update post tech visit.

1. Technician fixed the buzzer issue (operator error).

2. Before the tech came this morning, I tried selecting HandWash in the app and this time it took it. But Single Wash in the app was still greyed out in this and all the other programs.

3. Inability to select Single Wash in the app is not fixed. There was nothing the tech could see that he could do with the programming of the machine to affect this so he sending a report on this. He is concerned that, since you reported that you could select Single Wash in your app, it means it is not a global app issue (like the T&C was) and that there may be a problem with the software in my specific machine.

• Marilyn

OK, the Miele app is getting weirder by the day. I am now getting multiple notifications that I have inserted a cartridge which I have not. But still no notifications when my load is finished. Insane.

• whirlpool_trainee

It's "interesting" how these manufacturers can program their appliances, yet these apps are so buggy. Bosch's Home Connect app is no better.

• Cal

I was getting those random "was a new cartridge inserted?" messages too on the app. It seemed to happen whenever the washer was turned on. Seems to have gone away, but still no notifications for the washer cycle on completion. Also, when I did replace the #1 cartridge the machine didn't ask me if I had replaced it. So I had to go into the app to adjust the fill level to 100%. The #2 cartridge did prompt from the washer though.

Also if anyone is low on TwinDos I suggest re-ordering early, shipping has been taking 1-2 weeks for supplies.

• delray33483

most appliance mfgs are not in the Smart Home business mode. They make appliance that turn on and off - thats it The concept of IoT is still being formulated - especially German mfgs. Miele is just now starting to offer cashless payment options for commercial laundry. I think they really just launched a group for digital based in Amsterdam - shows how far behind they are.

• djlandkpl

It's just irritating that the app used to provide notifications on the washer without fail and now it does't work yet the dryer continues to notify.

• luna123456

It must be a either a machine thing or an account thing. I have been getting notices from both without fail during this whole time. Yes we do a lot of laundry. Our washer is just under 2 years old and has just 5000 hours on the clock.

• Marilyn

@luna123456: Are you on an iOS or Android device?

• luna123456

iOS. iPhone 8.

• Marilyn

Thanks. I too am on an iPhone.

1. Are you in North America? Just trying to think of all the possible variables.

2. Do you keep location services on? I was told on a telephone consult with Miele that you need to have location services turned on in order to get notifications. I didn't buy it for a minute. I only have location services on if I need to use Maps which is rare at best and I did not have location services on when I was getting notifications (which seems oh so long ago now because I despise the buzzer!). I think he was just grasping at straws.

• Cal

What version of the iPhone app is everyone on? I have version 3.7.1 If you go to More>Settings and scroll to the bottom it will tell you the app version. Miele app does not have any option to use your phone's location services (otherwise the Miele app would appear under 'Location Services')

• djlandkpl

@luna123456 That's a lot of laundry :) @Cal, I'm on iOS 13.6. Miele app is 3.7.1. I have the app on a phone and iPad and no washer notifications, dryer only.

• Marilyn

@Cal: I'm on 3.7.1 also. But this started before 3.7

• luna123456

@Marilyn

I am in USA (Wisconsin)

Location services are off for the Miele app.

i am on 3.7.1 version of the app. I am still on iOS 12.4.1. Maybe that is the difference?

• Marilyn

To all here regarding the lack of notifications discussion. I did 2 loads of laundry today and received notifications on both of them. First time in weeks. No changes were made to my phone nor to my app....just spontaneously started coming. Anyone else experiencing this lovely surprise today?

@luna123456: I am on iOS 12.4.8. I am slow to adopt new versions of iOS because invariably something gets "broken". If it's an urgent security fix, I will update. Otherwise I tend to stick with what I have. But my husband is quick to update so his phone would have the latest iOS and he too received the 2 notifications this morning.

• Cal

Thanks Marilyn! Washing machine notifications are working again! No changes to my phone. With not having TwinDos cartridges or washer cycle notifications for a few weeks makes you realize how nice it is to have these features.

• Jack Miller

I'm about to order our W1-860 and T1-180 washer/dryer. This thread has been fantastic! Moving away from a Whirlpool top load washer and vented dryer. I live in a condo, so I'm looking forward to some extra room in our laundry room.

Couple of questions:

• Any best practices on sorting clothes and which cycle to use for washing and drying for that type of clothing? We have been home a LOT lately so our clothing is usually cottons (t-shirts, shorts, undergarments, towels, sheets). When it cools off, leggings, sweatshirts and sweaters will start getting used again.
    • Are there certain types of clothing that you used to send out to the cleaners and now can handle safely with the Miele?
    • It sounds like many on this forum have decreased the dosage from the TwinDos. Our city water has water hardness level of 21 PPM which according to USGS water hardness measures is very soft.

• Avi Drissman

@Jack Miller Welcome!

I live in NYC, which has a hardness of about 25 mg/L, and have settled on defaulting to light soil and a TwinDos of 19/17, though occasionally I’ll have to do a second rinse in case things get too sudsy. I wear almost entirely cotton, and just use the standard cycle for that, so I’m far too basic to answer your first two questions.

• Cal

Also have soft water here and agree dialing down twindos to 19/17 has resulted in great results. They do a great job with laundering anything down (I use the down caps they sell), so no reason to send any bedding or jackets out. Also washing wool sweaters is good with the wool cycle and caps.

With sorting, I find it's also helps to sort by the weight/type of garment.

-Dark Colors (undershirts/underwear/etc) - Dark/Denim Cycle

-Jeans - Denim Cycle

-Sweaters - Wrinkle Free or Delicates Cycle

-Sheets & Duvet - Tableclothes/Drapes Cycle

-Down Pillows/Duvet/Mattress Pad - Down or Pillows Cycle

-Dish Towels or Rags - Sanitize Single Wash Cycle

-Dress Shirts - Dress shirts cycle

-Bath towels - Towels Cycle (or sanitize occasionally)

The 860 is great with the SingleWash and QuickIntense cycle, you can turn out small loads of laundry quickly.

• Marilyn

I use Baby Clothes for, mixed loads (Tees, briefs, pants, socks, etc) if I have a large load, using TwinDos This uses more water and provides more rinses.

Table Linens for bed sheets and towels, using TwinDos.

Sportswear for synthetics athletic wear and I use Miele SportWash but the caps provide waaaay too much detergent with my very soft water. So I punch a hole in the cap and use a dropper to dispense the detergent manually in the liquid tray.

Extra White or Sanitize: SingleWash option for doing kitchen bar towers 2-3 at a time

HandWash for cashmere sweaters and silk undies manually dosing either Miele Wool wash or Ecover Delicate.

Delicates for delicate washables that need more agitation than Handwash provides, same detergent choices as HandWash above.

Dress Shirts for my husband's dress shirts and dress pants (not wool - those still go to the dry cleaner). Sometimes TwinDos, sometimes Sportwash, sometimes Ecover Delicate.

I don't think I have ever used Normal or Darks.

I may have on occasion used WrinkleFree, but these 3 cycles are not my go-to's.

• Jerrod

Cal

You said you use the Towels Cycles for bath towels. How do you like the spins between rinses on this cycle - OK?

• Bernadette Raftery

Marilyn, interesting. Darks, Normal and wrinkle free are the 3 most used settings I use. But my water is harder. I'll have to look into what you use.

• Marilyn

@Bernadette. Soft water is a challenge which is why I use the cycles that offer the most water and rinses. I also have Water Plus enabled, have Maximum Rinse level always set, always select Extra Rinse in the cycles that take that option. Even so, if I am doing laundry just after the softener has regenerated and the water is at its softest, if I have used TwinDos I sometimes have to run an extra Rinse/Spin cycle. As I said, softened water can be a pain :-)

• nycmom

@Jack Miller I took a risk on a 3x5 antique Turkish wool rug using the wool cycle and wool detergent. Only one thread unraveled (no big deal) and the colors held. It dried quickly and flat and smelled fresh. This was the first time in 30 years it had been cleaned.

• Bernadette Raftery

@Marilyn, I don't use fabric softener in my machines, I never did. All I know is my water was the perfect formula for the twin dos default.

Which now takes me to another question. When we want to use the 2nd twin do, is that set by default (for example extra whites). Or, do I have to select Twin Do on the machine?

• Marilyn

@Bernadette Raftery: You need to select on the machine, if it is greyed out. If you have used TwinDos before in that cycle and you have memory enabled in settings, it will already have it selected for you which you can tell because the text on the console will be bright white as opposed to greyed out.

I too never use fabric softener in neither my washer or my dryer.

• Cal

@Jerrod Towel cycle has been working fine, the manual seem to indicate it will only go to 1200rpm but my machine goes to 1600rpm. Originally I thought the cycle was used to get sand out of beach towels, but it doesn't do any type of rapid spin at the start of the cycle. It seems like a gentle cycle for towels that aren't really dirty and that is less than 1hr. The only issue I have is what Marilyn is having with soft water. I had to stop using TwinDos on towels because of too many suds so I started using a teaspoon (or less) of detergent for towels which helped a lot.

@nycmom That is an awesome story on laundering a wool rug! I remember when I first got my W1 I ran through cleaning things I was scared to wash (like delicate blankets with tassels) but everything came out so clean and not damaged.

• Marilyn

@Cal: Good to know your experience with the Towel cycle. I too have avoided it because the manual indicates it is really for just rinsing out sandy beach towels. I am going to give it a try next time. When you think about it, you only use your bath towels after you are clean so perhaps this shorter cycle is more appropriate.

• Jerrod

Cal

I have tried it a few times but it doesn't seem to spin long enough between rinses or the wash to extract out of towels. I use 1 teaspoon of Persil powder detergent when washing in this program and it still seems like not enough of a spin for me. Maybe it is because I also use wash cloths, I don't know. I do like that it is short, I just wish those spins were a bit longer. I even tried heavy soil using the powder detergent and max rinse level.

Marilyn please let me know what you think after you try this.

• DBV DBV

When we wash small rugs, the W1 does not always spin at top speed, so they come out very wet. We then run the drain/spin cycle and sometimes that will work, but most times it does not. Any ideas on how to get it to spin at high speed to dry the rug out better before drying? Thanks!

• djlandkpl

@DBV DBV It's a balance issue. You need at least one additional item in the washer of similar weight so the drum is balanced when it spins.

• Jerrod

@Cal

I tried the towel program on a towel load today. I wash in the area when the wash portion ended and watched the spin. It seemed really short, so I returned when it was time to spin after the first rinse. I timed the spin to last about 50 seconds from start to end. I don't think my machine is like yours when it comes to this program because the spin never got up to speed.

• Jerrod

App Update: I got a message about a washer update today. I haven't done it yet, but I think it is for the WiFi module not the software on the machine. Has anyone else received this update?

• Jerrod

DBV. I noticed the same issue. I have a group of old but clean towels I keep around so I just add two or three of them in with the rugs and that seems to do the trick.

• Avi Drissman

@Jerrod Yep, I got an update to the WiFi modules (v 03.82) and not the machine itself. Just updated the machines and we’ll see.

• Jack Miller

I now have my new W1-860 and T1 Dryer. So far so good! Really impressed with the build quality and wash and dry results.

Two questions:

• I'm currently using TwinDos sensitive (dialed down to dosage of 19/17 per recommendations here for soft water). How does this compare to Persil sensitive? (Perhaps I should be using Persil powder for Towels where I can control dosage better)?
    • I have 3 wool dryer balls that I have been using in the dryer. I always used them in my last machine and felt it helped with drying quality. I'm very pleased with the drying times and results. Anyone worry with me using these? (I use Molly's Suds Fragrance Free Wool Dryer Balls).

• luna123456

TwinDOS is fine detergent. I don't think you will find anything "better" at this level. Sensitive removes the dyes and fragrance. Those don't have any real impact on the cleaning ability of the detergent.

We use Tide PurClean, refilled in the TwinDOS bottles using a funnel, and have for a long time. Works just as good, but also eliminates the optical brighteners.

Wool Balls don't really do anything for you in a Miele. We had them too, but with the heat pump dryer the reason for the wool balls is gone. Only kind of balls we every used were tennis balls when drying feather pillows to help with getting them nicely fluffed. You won't harm anything by using the wool dryer balls.