Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaretwilderotter

Dark stain hardwood floors

We are planning on redoing our hardwood floors soon and were thinking of staining our hardwood floors to a dark stain. We are starting to hear that dark stain is going out. Just want to get some feedback. I love that look but don’t want to be on the end of that trend.

Comments (9)

• 5 years ago

Thanks.

• 5 years ago

I think the super dark is going out, but you can still safely go medium dark I think. We went with a medium one just to keep it classic.

• PRO
    5 years ago

It really depends where you live, but here, colors are all over the place. It really depends on the style of house and how it's being decorated. One important thing to consider is how badly very dark floors show dust and hair.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Dark Walnut and Antique Brown is a classic look. It can be used in traditional, modern or eclectic decors. It is used in 90% of the stain jobs we do. It won't be going anywhere.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Dark floors are timeless. We sell a ton of them in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills where the wealth is. There are elements that may have phased out such as V-Grooves etc but otherwise just open an high-end design magazine and you'll notice that Dark Brown will never phase

• 5 years ago

I agree that dark floors are a classic design option. The same goes for natural wood tones. Both have been used for hundreds of years. They have never gone out of style.

If you look at pics of Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castled (etc) you will notice wood floors that are VERY dark (they almost look 'painted' they are so dark).

As I like to say, "If it's good enough for the Queen...".

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree with G&S and Rhodium--dark stained floors are beautiful, rich and timeless. What's going out FAST is greyed stain--ugh!

We just redid our existing red oak flooring that was in our entry, dining room and kitchen, which was a very light stain. Our floor guys sanded our existing oak down to bare wood and installed new oak flooring in the rest of the 1st floor. They laced in the new floor with the old and stained it all. They match perfectly.

You didn't mention what wood your floors are, but we used Duraseal Chestnut (NOT English Chestnut--it's very red) and we are very happy with it. It's a medium, warm brown. We certainly haven't noticed dust being an issue, although we have a satin finish, so that may be a factor.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Dark floors are 70% timeless. I think it depends on the shade. I LOVE dark floors in the right space.... everything works together in a room, so you can't just generically say YES or NO to any color/texture because it is a recipe for the room/space. So, the only thing I will say not positive about dark floors - if you have shedding pets or do not like to sweep/vacuum regularly - they are NOT for you! :(. like a dark/black car.. they tend to show everything.